Coffee maker allowed in cabin?

undersail

Recently back from a Europe cruise. We had a little tray in our cabin that had a small pot for boiling water (electric) and a small basket containing coffee and tea and fixings! Boy did I love that! That little pot boiled water in no time and I really enjoyed having a hot cup of coffee to take on to the balcony and watch the sunrise or a hot cup of tea in the afternoon. I talked about it at dinner and our tablemates (from England) said that they never have these in ships that visit the Caribbean because of American liability issues. So that didn't  make too much sense. So-called "American" ships are often home-ported in other countries, but in any case, I've never seen these pots on Caribbean cruises. My question, does anyone know why and/or is it permissible to bring my own pot or immersion device on board to make that morning cup? This isn't a money-saving question because coffee is free on board. Just like that comfy feeling of enjoying my AM cup in my cabin.

Those are present in ships that focus on European ports because of high demand in some countries. The demand for same in the US is far from European demand. That being said, some cruise lines have them in suites.

Safety (not liability) issues are a factor. Heat creating devices are a fire hazard, and thus are typically limited or restricted. There is also not a lot of extra counter space for these devices.

Whether you can bring one or not is discussed on the boards for each cruise line daily. If you have a particular cruise line you are interested in, best to ask on their board here.

• Like 1

No, it is not possible to bring your own.  As cruiserbruce says, it is a safety issue.  The coffee makers that the cruise lines provide in some cabins, whether suites on Caribbean ships or all cabins on European ships, are all rotated out of service and tested and inspected by the ship's crew at least annually.  This satisfies the cruise line's insurance underwriter that the devices are safe and are being maintained in a safe manner.  The same cannot be said for your coffee maker, which may be perfectly fine, but the cruise line doesn't know that.  As to why only some ships have ship supplied coffee makers, it is a cost issue to have all those coffee makers, have the spares for when they fail, and to pay the crew to service and inspect them.  That cost is weighed against the financial benefit of having the coffee makers onboard, and a decision is made based on whether the benefit outweighs the cost.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, undersail said:

.....Just like that comfy feeling of enjoying my AM cup in my cabin.

Why settle for instant coffee with an immersion heater (safety hazard) when you can pre-order  a pot(s) of brewed coffee (via room service) for a specific early AM time? Also want afternoon coffee? Room service!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, undersail said:

Recently back from a Europe cruise. We had a little tray in our cabin that had a small pot for boiling water (electric) and a small basket containing coffee and tea and fixings! Boy did I love that! That little pot boiled water in no time and I really enjoyed having a hot cup of coffee to take on to the balcony and watch the sunrise or a hot cup of tea in the afternoon. I talked about it at dinner and our tablemates (from England) said that they never have these in ships that visit the Caribbean because of American liability issues. So that didn't  make too much sense. So-called "American" ships are often home-ported in other countries, but in any case, I've never seen these pots on Caribbean cruises. My question, does anyone know why and/or is it permissible to bring my own pot or immersion device on board to make that morning cup? This isn't a money-saving question because coffee is free on board. Just like that comfy feeling of enjoying my AM cup in my cabin.

on non European/British sailings, only suites will have them.

liability has nothing to do with it.  its just that the majority of passengers do not utilize them as we don't  normally drink tea  unless it  is iced and sweet.  you may NOT bring your own but ask the cabin steward and they will almost certainly provide one as they are stored on board even when not sailing in Europe.  

I am one of the rare types who owns a kettle at home and it does get used frequently.  

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

liability has nothing to do with it.  its just that the majority of passengers do not utilize them as we don't  normally drink tea  unless it  is iced and sweet.  

Hmm, and you know this better than someone who has spent a career at sea?  And is currently the Chief Engineer on a ship?  And has worked cruise ships in that capacity?

56 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, and you know this better than someone who has spent a career at sea?  And is currently the Chief Engineer on a ship?  And has worked cruise ships in that capacity?

While I wouldn't agree that "liability has nothing to do with it", she is correct in that the amount that passengers will use the coffee makers goes into the cost/benefit calculation I mention, as a factor on the "benefit" side.  Higher benefit if it is used by a majority, lower benefit if it sits collecting dust.

When RCI decided to place a ship- Independence OTS- all year round in the UK, one frequent comment on UK sites was-  there was no kettle in the cabin!

Trying to attract more Brits on board, who need their cup of tea made with boiling water, the clever UK RCI manager suggested kettles- and that was the beginning of the kettle revolution on non-UK ships. Eventually all RCI/Celebrity ships began installing kettles on any ship sailing from the UK... but they were removed when sailing back across the Atlantic.

Wise ones take a funnel, filter and ground coffee to their cabin; even wiser ones take Yorkshire tea bags.   😁

• Like 2