Izumi if you do not like sushi

budmeister

I think it is if you have others in your party that DO enjoy sushi.  I don't eat any seafood, but enjoy the Gyoza, salads, and some of the Izumi's that have either hot rock or other non-fish options.  If no one in your party does Sushi, then it may be worth a pass for a restaurant you'd all enjoy more. 

13 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Is Izumi worth a dinner or lunch on the unlimited dining package if you do not like sushi/ raw or undercooked fish?

Only if they offer hot rock or hibachi.  Hot rock seems to be going away as the newest versions of Izumi don't have hot rock.  Adventure's Izimu has neither.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Only if they offer hot rock or hibachi.  Hot rock seems to be going away as the newest versions of Izumi don't have hot rock.  Adventure's Izimu has neither.

Bob, What is hot rock?

Just now, Snit13 said:

Bob, What is hot rock?

A small very hot (around 600 F) flat rock that you use to cook your own dinner.  They offer choices of steak, chicken, and seafood with veggies.

2 hours ago, budmeister said:

Is Izumi worth a dinner or lunch on the unlimited dining package if you do not like sushi/ raw or undercooked fish?

We are not sushi eaters either and were going to try Izumi on Anthem but ended up sick and quarantined.  We had looked at the menu and saw tempura, gyoza and a couple of other cooked options that I forget.  We saw plenty on the menu for a lunch.  The hostess had told us to see her when we came back and she would make sure we had a great, cooked meal. 😄 May try when we are on Anthem in a few weeks.

Izumi has many sushi rolls which are not raw such as a roll that contains a fried shrimp (shrimp tempura). If you like the idea of a sushi roll but don't want the raw fish take a close look at the menu or ask the server for recommendations. They also have Udon and Ramen noodle soups if you like that.

I would never give Izumi a chance. I did not like sushi and not a fan of raw fish. After speaking with a staff member from Izumi on the deck, I took a chance. He walked me through a lot of items on the menu. Now I go to Izumi (non-hibachi) all the time when it is on a ship that I am traveling on.  I enjoy so many of the other options on the menu (from the salads, soups, stir fry with your choice of protein, dumplings and many, many more options). If you have the UD package then go for lunch (around noon). Review the menu in detail with the staff. If not impressed, then you can leave and still have time to go to lunch at another restaurant as they all close for lunch at 1:30. By the way, I do go to hibachi and going during lunch is just as much fun and not as busy (more attention from staff and hibachi chefs). Hope this helps. 

5 hours ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

I would never give Izumi a chance.

I am guessing from the rest of your post that this has a typo? Maybe "never pass up Izumi" was accidentally mated with "give Izumi a chance" and the offspring snuck out of the crib?  🤔

I learned a lot from your reply about the possibilities for us cooked food aficionados. Thanks!

Not a fan of the "hot rock" option. I'm on vacation and don't want to be cooking. Hibachi is fun and even quite social. On another visit to Izumi, we overheard the folks next to us discuss several non-fish, non-sushi options with their waiter.

• Like 1

We’ve done both the Hibachi and the non Hibachi on Allure. My wife raves about the sushi but I won’t touch anything that comes out of the water. However the non seafood options were some of the best food on the ship. The gyoza rivals gyoza I’ve had in Japan, and the ramen is quite filling and very flavorful. A must go in my opinion.

I can't have uncooked fish/seafood (Dr's orders). DW loves sushi so I gave Izumi a try. Plenty of options that were cooked in the regular lunch seating, and the Hibachi experience was good as well. our 1 hot rock experience (on Oasis, I believe) was just so-so, mostly due to poor service. Just have to make sure I order cooked meats only. I'd gladly go back, but no Izumi on our current Galveston ship, Liberty.  

2 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Not a fan of the "hot rock" option. I'm on vacation and don't want to be cooking. Hibachi is fun and even quite social. On another visit to Izumi, we overheard the folks next to us discuss several non-fish, non-sushi options with their waiter.

Waiter cooks for you on the hot rock

On Grandeur, they offer to do it for you.

I like sushi, so have never tried it.  Another couple we were dining with did get it and the waiter assisted.

It looks good.  One day, I will try it. 😄