Australian Fires

jhenry1

There have been large, severe bushfires in both New South Wales and Queensland with some lives lost and many homes destroyed. Both states are on catastrophic fire alerts today. So far major cities, like Sydney and Brisbane, haven't been affected but some small rural towns have been hit badly. Brisbane has severe smoke pollution today but so far it is only minor in  Sydney. Hot and windy conditions are expected today so things could get worse, unfortunately. It is one of the worst bushfire seasons ever experienced.

• Thanks 1

In the next few days, it won't be pleasant for people suffering from asthma and such ailments.

Quite some air pollution due to the fires , even far away ones. 

Forget about tours to the Blue Mountains, the Hunter Valley and such places for the time being.

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How is the air quality in Sydney now?

Thanks.

GC

It's fine where we are (about 8kms from tje harbour bridge). Very clear. The wind changed to southerly last night and blew any lingering smoke away.

The worst fires up the NSW coast have been downgraded from emergency level to "watch and act", and many more are at "advice" level. Hopefully some of the more accessible ones will be able to be extinguished over the next day or so if the winds stay reasonable. 

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How is the air quality in Sydney now?

Thanks.

GC

It’s a lovely day ,cool ,blue skies and a mild wind.

We live in the foothills of the blue mountains (Kurrajong)  .Yesterday was a unpleasant day but I don’t think it warranted a state of emergency for a week.

There wasn’t any fire near us.

Edited by Chiliburn

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s a lovely day ,cool ,blue skies and a mild wind.

We live in the foothills of the blue mountains (Kurrajong)  .Yesterday was a unpleasant day but I don’t think it warranted a state of emergency for a week.

There wasn’t any fire near us.

What I am puzzled by is that yesterday the closed schools all over the place, today there are more fires around me than yesterday yet school is on.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

What I am puzzled by is that yesterday the closed schools all over the place, today there are more fires around me than yesterday yet school is on.

It’s definitely a state of emergency in the New England and the north coast but there’s no fires to talk about else where.
As you said 400 schools closed a state of emergency for a week.A lot of people didn’t go to work.

It’s not even summer.

I really hate to say that I think it’s over reaction. People won’t care next time.

Cry wolf

32 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yesterday was more critical as the temperature spiked to 37, so things could have gotten worse.

Today, temperature and winds are much better so they can manage without major risk.

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yesterday was more critical as the temperature spiked to 37, so things could have gotten worse.

Today, temperature and winds are much better so they can manage without major risk.

High temperature, very low humidity (8% in Sydney for much of the day, and high winds meant that any fires that started (or were deliberately started as is suspected for the Turramurra fires) could escalate very quickly. Better to be safe than burnt to death.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

High temperature, very low humidity (8% in Sydney for much of the day, and high winds meant that any fires that started (or were deliberately started as is suspected for the Turramurra fires) could escalate very quickly. Better to be safe than burnt to death.

I suppose it’s a wake up for everyone to prepare for summer.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I suppose it’s a wake up for everyone to prepare for summer.

Yes. But there have been really bad fires early in the season before. I remember ones in the Blue Mountains a few years back that were in September, I think. And then there was nothing else major tbat year.

But these are unbelievably bad, and across multiple states as well. Hard to predict what will happen over summer.

Yes, it is smoky today, unfortunately. It was beautiful all last week despite the fires up north but the wind direction has changed and blown the smoke our way.

Yes, the fire risks will continue all summer but that doesn't necessarily mean Sydney will be affected by fires or smoke all summer. It's impossible to predict. We've had fire seasons that started in September but fizzled out by Christmas, and others that started right on Christmas or even later.

Also remember that first thing in the morning the smoke is usually at it's worst as there is usually not much breeze then. In fact you can see how it's settled low down over the water and land in your snapshots. It's looking a bit better now.

20191119_101516.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 6:18 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also remember that first thing in the morning the smoke is usually at it's worst as there is usually not much breeze then. In fact you can see how it's settled low down over the water and land in your snapshots. It's looking a bit better now.

20191119_101516.jpg

I see what you mean....6:36 AM

239272718_Screenshot2019-11-2014_37_21.png.d77705fefca08596af1f0309fe8b33fb.png799750095_Screenshot2019-11-2014_36_58.thumb.png.e29ce43494f53c153b0d4870d7a500fa.png