Can I bring vanilla on the ship from port as a souvenir

nautica34

Thinking about possibly buying vanilla extract in Cozumel for souvenirs. Since its liquid, would I be allowed to bring it on the ship since NCL doesn't allow liquids to be brought on? Asking on this board instead of Cozumel board as some cruise lines don't have issue with liquids being brought on.

I have done it many times and never had an issue.  It was in a bag of stuff I sent through the scanners and no one questioned it.  I bought 4 or 6 smaller bottles of extract (not really small...probably somewhere around 6 or 8 oz).   I have also brought back on board bottles of scotch bonnet sauce in Jamaica, lots of spices in St. Thomas, and had no issues.

Even when you bring back booze on board, they take it and give you a claim check and you either get it delivered the last night or go pick it up.   

The same also applies to other items not allowed:  my son bought a knife and sheath in Honduras and they allowed him to check it in on board and he picked it up the last day.

Edited by FitchburgWIFamily
added more information
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

I have done it many times and never had an issue.  It was in a bag of stuff I sent through the scanners and no one questioned it.  I bought 4 or 6 smaller bottles (not really small...probably somewhere around 6 or 8 oz).   

Thanks! Didn't want to buy some then be told would have to discard it

• Like 1

Well I do it all the time - I use Vanilla to flavor my coffee !

Technically vanilla does have some alcohol in it but it is not like you are going drink it direct out of the bottle.

I have taken as many as 6 small 2 ounce bottles on board airlines in the TSA approved 3.1.1 bag.

Never a problem - still in manufacturers carton.

The vanilla from down Mexico way is a great deal more appeasing in taste.

My mom used to take the beans and make homemade vanilla - wow - knock yourself out !

• Like 1

"Most vanilla extracts sold in Mexico are still artificial. Unwitting tourists who bring a bottle home often are buying not only fake vanilla, but also, by the FDA’s reckoning, cancer-causing ingredients." Cook's Blog. Make sure you're getting the good stuff! I stick to Nielsen-Massey and buy it from Amazon. It's the best I have found. And, yes...very expensive. But you know what you're getting.

As ValleyVillage wrote some are not really vanilla.   I was told by a shop in either Harvest Cay or Costa Maya that the less expensive vanilla being sold at other stalls wasn't  real, that it was watered down and sugary.   

I know I bought vanilla in Mexico before and never had an issue but I didn't buy any last year, as the person I was buying it for is quite picky

Curious - those that have purchased vanilla recently- do you recall the brand and were you satisfied?   Will be on the Western Caribbean Escape in January and will purchase with recommendations 

1 hour ago, Brigitte3121 said:

Wow... I just returned from Los Cabos. While in town, I went to Walmart and bought two 250ml of “old fashioned Mexican clear natural vanilla”. Made in Pto. Vallarta. It was MEX$56 each. Too cheap to be real?

Mexican Peso$56 converted or US $ 56 ?

And the Brand Name please - Thanks !

8 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

"Most vanilla extracts sold in Mexico are still artificial. Unwitting tourists who bring a bottle home often are buying not only fake vanilla, but also, by the FDA’s reckoning, cancer-causing ingredients." Cook's Blog. Make sure you're getting the good stuff! I stick to Nielsen-Massey and buy it from Amazon. It's the best I have found. And, yes...very expensive. But you know what you're getting.

or make your own -- it's not hard.

• 1 month later...

I had some given to me and once opened it was very stinky and nothing like vanilla.  I would be very cautious of anything bought in the touristy areas.  It could be very diluted and/or not safe.  

I have a friend staying in Mexico for teo

months that will bring me vanilla beans etc back, but she purchases it from the farm directly.