Stairs vs Elevators

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

... NEVER do the atrium stairs ...

Absolutely agreed with this we have had at least 3 cruises where there has been mishaps on the atrium stairs.....

Well only 11 days till our next cruise  and I will to trying to use the stair more..

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mom33 said:

I would give anything to be able to use the stairs on our upcoming Sky cruise, but a recent medical problem  makes it necessary for me to walk with a cane or a walker.  The stairs are not an option anymore.

We have been on many cruises where we have watched the struggle that  wheel chair, scooter and walker users have waiting to board an elevator. They need more room and often are left out of the elevator by the crush of passengers that aren't thinking about anything but getting where they want to be. We have even assisted in grabbing an elevator to help out. Here is where all passengers could pitch in and lessen the crush.

If you are waiting in a crowd for an elevator and see those in a wheel chair , scooter or walker, help them get on an elevator first and catch another one. It only takes a few minutes of your time.  I am now among those cruisers that we have helped on past cruises. Thanks and enjoy your cruises.😋

Thank you for your kindness, it means so much when people do help. 

On our last Regal  Princess cruise our cabin was forward but we were allocated late seating in the dining room at the aft on deck six, the one that’s really difficult to get to, so we had to take the elevator down to 7 and walk/wheel across the ship to the next elevator and then take another elevator down, it was taking me about 45 minutes to get from the cabin to the dining room because we had to wait so long for those two lifts and in the end I changed to anytime dining that was in one of the dining rooms near the atrium.

Our next cruise on Sky Princess on Sunday is anytime dining 😂I learnt my lesson!

• Like 3

Stairs...always...until.......this week.  We are on our 3rd week sailing in the Caribbean.  I severely injured my back and cannot even put on my socks.  Walking a few steps has become a challenge.  Our daily walks and visits to the gym stopped.  And regrettably, we now have to use the elevators. 

I would like to share an elevator incident yesterday....

We were in an elevator full of people.  The elevator stopped on Deck 5 and I prepared to walk out.  I could barely walk out of the elevator as I hang on to my wife's shoulders.  The group in the back (obviously not realizing I'm in severe pain and walking slowly) yelled "Out Please! We are getting out!".  I finally made it out the elevator door.  The gentleman that yelled then said "S..t, I didn't know he was disabled".

There are several lessons with this incident..............I just hope that I recover well enough to walk and start using the stairs again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

My motto:

All the stairs, all the time, no matter how high the heels!!!

But for our upcoming cruise, this might be modified a bit due to foot surgery a few months ago; can still wear heels but stair climbing is a bit slower.

DH can go down with no problems but due to heart, has to take going up slowly (we too swap from one bank of stairs over to the others in order to get a little rest!) and if lots of flights, he probably takes an elevator.

What a great idea! We have an aft balcony coming up. We always book aft to add steps. This technique will keep me off the elevator even more! Will be easy to take 2-4 flights, walk to the next set of stairs and do it again. Thanks!

On 11/12/2019 at 12:33 AM, Sanz said:

I agree about how most people use elevators. My use of stairs varies.  It depends upon my current aches. This past May I could manage  two flights up and three or four flights down.  If I was on a cruise right now, I would be limited to the elevator. 

Your statement about people glaring at you when you do only one  flight reminded me of an experience I had in the Ladies Room on a cruise 12 years ago.   The only available stall was the handicap stall.  I hesitated to use it and then remembered that I actually needed to use it.   When I opened the door to leave the stall, there was an elderly woman in a wheel chair waiting to enter.  I smiled at her and she gave me a "dirty look" and she proceeded to look at me from top to bottom.  When she reached the bottom her mouth fell open as she caught sight of the removable cast that I was wearing.  She looked up at me in shock.  I am sad to say that my reaction was to give her the same look that she gave me.

Handicapped accessible stalls are meant to be used by everyone, unlike parking spots that are only for those who need them.

16 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

My wife and I use both depending on how far we're going and/or the direction we're going and just "depending"!

Tom

I have a Stair Lift at home because I am no longer able to walk up and down stairs.

When I was working and healthy I would often walk up and down 20 flights a day to get to my office.I also walked 8 to 15 miles a week.

Stairs mostly.  I only use the elevator if I'm in significant pain.  Upstairs is rarely a problem, but downstairs is harder on my knees.  Downstairs is easier if I turn backwards, but I won't do that if there's a lot of traffic on the stairs.

Most of the time stairs.  But depends on several factors.  Up or down, how many flights, how tired I am, if there is a line for the elevators, who I am with, if I have bags.

1st and last day stairs only except when I have bags.  Returning from a long port day almost always the elevator.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:50 PM, getting older slowly said:

Hi All,

Just wonder how many of us use Stairs or the Elevators ??

Myself whom lives in a single level home,  does not do a lot of stairs..... where as on the ship it is stairs to everywhere.

I have found up stairs is a killer on the knees.... where as down is ok....

So tend to use Elevator to a trip to Skywalkers   7 decks

Breakfast / MDR 3 decks will use the stairs.....

Cheers Don 

42 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The QM2 has them - connecting the galley to the upper level of the Britannia dining room

But those are only a single one for crew use only. I mean, can you imagine having to schlep fully loaded trays up and down stairs constantly for a full shift!  I've seen a couple of videos showing this set up on ships. There are pax escalators on a few ships, from what I've read, but I haven't seen them personally.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, jimdee3636 said:

But, perhaps more importantly, you get to where you're going faster. 

It's true. I had a race with my 22 year old son on Mariner of the seas.  We both started on deck 2, the doors closed and he took off taking three stairs at a time.  First person to get coffee in the Diamond Lounge deck 14 was the winner.  I opened the door to the DL and he was filling his cup with espresso.  Nice to be young, or in your case nice to be in shape. happy cruising

22 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The QM2 has them - connecting the galley to the upper level of the Britannia dining room

that's the best way for servers to get from point A to point B while carrying trays.

23 hours ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

What's next? Moving sidewalks to get people to the buffet faster. 

Ideally, not just TO the buffet, but THROUGH the buffet faster.   The ditherers who hold everyone up while trying to decide which roll to take, or whether to take a seventh slice of bacon, will be rapidly moved along.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ideally, not just TO the buffet, but THROUGH the buffet faster.   The ditherers who hold everyone up while trying to decide which roll to take, or whether to take a seventh slice of bacon, will be rapidly moved along.

Yea, I've seen those people on every ship. It takes them longer to select one item than it does for me to get my whole meal. :classic_laugh: 

On 11/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, donaldsc said:

Everything in the world is covered with germs.  The only way to stop contact w germs is to wear surgical gloves at all times.

DON

Believe it or not the more exposure the better, you need to shock your immune system to make it familiar with the germs / virus and for your immune, that after all is the whole premise with flue and immunization shots isn't it.  If you live in isolation once exposed you could and more likely than not get really ill as your body goes into shock response.

I'll take the elevator versus stairs, I exercise a lot, but on  a cruise even with exercise getting your intake and burn to match makes taking the stairs for that little extra burn desirable.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 5:06 AM, bonsai3s said:

I would like to share an elevator incident yesterday....

We were in an elevator full of people.  The elevator stopped on Deck 5 and I prepared to walk out.  I could barely walk out of the elevator as I hang on to my wife's shoulders.  The group in the back (obviously not realizing I'm in severe pain and walking slowly) yelled "Out Please! We are getting out!".  I finally made it out the elevator door.  The gentleman that yelled then said "S..t, I didn't know he was disabled".

I have a torn meniscus and am in a lot of pain.  When folks are behind me, before they can say anything, I just say "sorry I'm so slow, but I'm in a lot of knee pain".  Works everytime,, because I realize that people are impatient and a lot of times they can't see if someone is not able to walk as fast as they can, so I simply give them a heads up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1