Cinque Terre or Genoa in December

Mella213

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide whether my family and I should stay in Genoa or go over to Cinque Terre for the day.  We are arriving on a cruise ship in early December (Saturday December 7th) -MSC Cruises and I wasn't sure whether the trip over to Cinque Terre would be worth it or if it was better to stay in Genoa.  I've never been to either location and it is in the off-season, so wasn't sure if I should be too concerned about the crowds in Cinque Terre.  Any suggestions?

We've been to both and they are quite different.  Genoa is a very old city (Christopher Columbus was born there) and I found it quite interesting when we called there--did the HOHO which visited various parts of the city.  Cinque  [5] Terre is also interesting in a different way--very Mediterranean (i.e. colorful buildings, etc.).  One can travel along that part of the coast by boat, train and car (although if the latter you will have to park quite high above the five towns and walk down (and back up).  We did it by train to the first or second town and then continued by boat.  Have no idea what it's like in Dec.  We were there in the fall and it was warm, but overcast.  It was just a few weeks before the area suffered from a huge deluge of rain, flooding, mud, but probably recovered relatively quickly since tourisum is so important to them.

Actually the pathways are still not restored from the massive landslides years ago.   

We've been to both and Genoa is a gem,  that would be my suggestion.  We were pleasantly surprised.   

2a, Riomaggiore - Manarola: The main part of the trail is closed (approximately till: May 2023). Reason: Only small part is open from Manarola to small bar in the middle of the trail. The second part will not be open up to 2021. 2b, Manarola - Corniglia: The trail is closed for a long period (approximately till: 2021).
Edited by bennybear