Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

That picture is shocking. It was so bad here today, I didn't go outside at all. I have had washing drying everywhere inside, even our garage which is attached to the house smells of smoke. 

Wauchope has been far worse than Port in regards to the smoke, but Andy works in Port and said that it was really bad there today. Every morning I open my blinds hoping I will see the sun and blue sky, fingers crossed we get the predicted rain on Sunday.

Locals are suffering headaches, breathing difficulties and burning watering eyes.

It sounds dreadful, Chez.

 

One thing I've never seen here is the affordable anti-pollution face masks that are quite in parts of Asia when the pollution is bad. There are masks available online but most aren't cheap, although I did see one that claimed to have washable filters which would make it cost effective.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chez, It has cleared up here today in Nelson Bay. I hope the southerly has reached you and cleared away the smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is footage of the Pacific Explorer heading down the coast from Qld, having to put on the fog horn as the smoke had reduced the visibility that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a video on the “other social media” of P&O’s Explorer coming back from Moreton Island, they’re blowing the fog horn constantly because the smoke is so thick! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mtn_couple said:

There’s a video on the “other social media” of P&O’s Explorer coming back from Moreton Island, they’re blowing the fog horn constantly because the smoke is so thick! 


I’m headed to Moreton Island on Carnival next week, hoping it’ll blow out to sea by then, of they’ll change the itinerary and take us south instead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Chez, It has cleared up here today in Nelson Bay. I hope the southerly has reached you and cleared away the smoke.

A much better day here today, i have the doors open😀

Wind is up, but not too much and it is cooler than expected. Feels like rain is coming, but we dont want the lightening!!

The wind must be pushing all the smoke out to sea, sorry cruisers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cheznandy said:

A much better day here today, i have the doors open😀

Wind is up, but not too much and it is cooler than expected. Feels like rain is coming, but we dont want the lightening!!

The wind must be pushing all the smoke out to sea, sorry cruisers!!

I was hoping the cooler air would make it up your way. We noticed some big black clouds when we went out for our walk this morning. They were heading north and didn't drop any rain anywhere near us so I hope they held it all in for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

One thing I've never seen here is the affordable anti-pollution face masks that are quite in parts of Asia when the pollution is bad. There are masks available online but most aren't cheap, although I did see one that claimed to have washable filters which would make it cost effective.

 

Anti pollution masks are only good to a point. For one thing they can not filter out nano particles which are said to be the most harmful because they go deep into the lungs. Also there has never been a study done looking at its effectiveness in bushfire condition.

 

Can facemasks help reduce the negative health impacts of air pollution?

 

Pollutionwatch: do face masks really prevent the ill effects of pollution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was hoping the cooler air would make it up your way. We noticed some big black clouds when we went out for our walk this morning. They were heading north and didn't drop any rain anywhere near us so I hope they held it all in for you.

A cooler day today, quite a bit of smoke still around early morning, the wind picked up a bit this arvo so fairly clear now, although the smell is still there. Still no rain😢

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

Anti pollution masks are only good to a point. For one thing they can not filter out nano particles which are said to be the most harmful because they go deep into the lungs. Also there has never been a study done looking at its effectiveness in bushfire condition.

 

Can facemasks help reduce the negative health impacts of air pollution?

 

Pollutionwatch: do face masks really prevent the ill effects of pollution?

Thanks for those articles. As you said, they are only good to a point but would provide some protect for people who are affected by pollution when they have to go outside ie to shop for groceries and necessities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in Adelaide, preparing to board the Golden Princess tomorrow. They’re expecting hot weather this week and are expressing concern about bushfires on the TV news headlines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We are in Adelaide, preparing to board the Golden Princess tomorrow. They’re expecting hot weather this week and are expressing concern about bushfires on the TV news headlines. 

40°+ expected across South Australia on Wednesday combined with strong winds. Many schools are planning on closing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

40°+ expected across South Australia on Wednesday combined with strong winds. Many schools are planning on closing. 

That is usual for Adelaide but normally in January, not November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melbourne is forecast to reach 39 on Thursday which would be a record high temperature for November. Areas in the north west of the state are expected to be around 40 or higher tomorrow and in central Victoria 40 or more on Thursday with northerlies. These are January and February temperatures for Victoria. 

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so, so glad that the Golden Princess is in tomorrow and not today! 44 degrees, roaring northerlies with gusts up to 80kph and a power outage from about 1pm this afternoon, with no end in sight as yet! all our schools have been closed for the day, my friend's agistment centre is in a direct line if the fire from last Monday gets going again, so we evacuated all the horses to the race course by 7am.

 

I started work at 4.30pm, looking forward to some coolness but to no avail, evidently essential power does not extend to aircon in offices! Hopefully the change arrives and power is restored by 12.30am when I get home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishing you luck, a friend is in Edithburgh, and apparently there is fire threatening Yorketown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....and that heat wave is coming over the Tasman to us. NZ Herald weather is predicting no rain and temps 10 degrees above normal for the next 11 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 2:45 PM, mtn_couple said:


I’m headed to Moreton Island on Carnival next week, hoping it’ll blow out to sea by then, of they’ll change the itinerary and take us south instead 

Just heard Carnival Spirit's Moreton island itinerary is diverted to Hobart this week, is this your cruise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chry5alis said:

Just heard Carnival Spirit's Moreton island itinerary is diverted to Hobart this week, is this your cruise? 

There are serious fires on Moreton Island. Campers and residents were evacuated from some areas a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...