What time to schedule shuttle to Hobby

LaRue1975

First, thanks for all the information I have gleaned so far from this forum! We are sailing on the Vista Easter Week, April 4 to 11, taking along our daughter, SIL and 6 year old grandson. We fly into Hobby the day before and should arrive around 7:30 PM, I was able to snag a couple of rooms at the Marriott South Hobby Airport with points. I think I will be happy with my choice but any input is appreciated. 

I plan to book a shuttle to the port on Saturday morning with Galveston Express, pick up at the hotel 10:00 AM. They will pick up at an airport hotel for an additional $30 fee for your entire party. We have FTTF so arriving around 11 should be just right I hope. 

My question now is what time to schedule our return shuttle to Hobby after the cruise, our flight is not until 3:45 PM. Thank you so much for the tip on the Cruise Stop Shop, luggage problem solved! Obviously, we don’t want to sit at the airport for 5 hours but I also want to get there in plenty of time for our flight. So, do we take the noon or 1:00 PM shuttle? Has anyone had experience with Galveston Express? The website is very user friendly and the price is reasonable. 

I really wanted to spend the night prior in Galveston but because it is the beginning of Easter Week and with our flight arriving late (went with the nonstop) I decided to give up on that idea. We are looking forward to exploring the area for a few hours after we debark. Thanks again for all your help, especially the local Texans, can’t wait to cruise from your great state! 

One more question, would it be cheaper and more convenient to just wait and order an Uber XL to and from the port? The cost for the shuttle is around $320 round trip for 5. Will an UberXL be large enough for us? I saw mention here that you can book an Uber In advance? Thank you for any advice on Uber vs a shuttle, my family would probably prefer traveling by private car. I agree but being a super planner I like to plan ahead, thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hola

We just got back from the Vista.  The Galveston to IAH is horrid...just throwing it out there.

It was nearly an hour from the airport to Galveston when we flew in and nearly 1-1/2 back due to road construction.

We had a party of 6.  Called uber XL for 6 once we picked up our luggage.  Problem was - they sent a durango that 6 people could fit in with NO LUGGAGE.  Now that is just stupid imo.

Cancelled that one.

Called a second one - brought a mini-van that 6 ppl and (3) suitcases could fit.  Excuse me UBER people.... do you not think people flying will have luggage?  Had to cancel that one.

The third one came in and the vehicle fits 6 passengers including the driver.

Im over it - we ended up calling (2) UBER XL and they both were $80 each.

Stupid - ridiculous.  Carnival, however, transfers were 46.99 per person.

Good luck.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:07 AM, LaRue1975 said:

First, thanks for all the information I have gleaned so far from this forum! We are sailing on the Vista Easter Week, April 4 to 11, taking along our daughter, SIL and 6 year old grandson. We fly into Hobby the day before and should arrive around 7:30 PM, I was able to snag a couple of rooms at the Marriott South Hobby Airport with points. I think I will be happy with my choice but any input is appreciated. 

I plan to book a shuttle to the port on Saturday morning with Galveston Express, pick up at the hotel 10:00 AM. They will pick up at an airport hotel for an additional $30 fee for your entire party. We have FTTF so arriving around 11 should be just right I hope. 

My question now is what time to schedule our return shuttle to Hobby after the cruise, our flight is not until 3:45 PM. Thank you so much for the tip on the Cruise Stop Shop, luggage problem solved! Obviously, we don’t want to sit at the airport for 5 hours but I also want to get there in plenty of time for our flight. So, do we take the noon or 1:00 PM shuttle? Has anyone had experience with Galveston Express? The website is very user friendly and the price is reasonable. 

I really wanted to spend the night prior in Galveston but because it is the beginning of Easter Week and with our flight arriving late (went with the nonstop) I decided to give up on that idea. We are looking forward to exploring the area for a few hours after we debark. Thanks again for all your help, especially the local Texans, can’t wait to cruise from your great state! 

The 13:00 shuttle would be perfect for you as it would have you to the airport at around 14:00 with plenty of time to spare.

Thank you Marci4tony and MoCowBell for the replies! You have both helped so much with my decision, I will book the shuttle and schedule return pick up for 1300. I would love another hour to explore Galveston but I would just use it worrying about making our flight, lol! 

After reading about the UberXL problem for large parties I will book the shuttle.  I was in Temecula last weekend and we ordered an UberXL a few times for 6 ladies. They were all mini vans or SUVs, great for riding around town but no way there was enough room for luggage too. I hadn’t made that connection so thanks for the heads up! The ride to Hobby will be easier than IAH but we still need to fit, thank you! 

We cruised Easter week this year and encountered something very unusual for us.  We cruise out of Galveston at least 3 times a year (this year it was 5) and never even considered that Easter week was some sort of Mexican travel date.  There were literally thousands of passengers that were from Mexico and leaving was a nightmare.  I guess there are lots of extra steps with Immigration and it delayed our departure several hours.  Getting back was a snap though since thousands of passengers were in the Immigration/ Customs lines for International travel and we sailed right through the passport line. 

The 1:00 shuttle will be fine for getting to Hobby.  Just have your extra patience handy for departure.

7 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

We cruised Easter week this year and encountered something very unusual for us.  We cruise out of Galveston at least 3 times a year (this year it was 5) and never even considered that Easter week was some sort of Mexican travel date.  There were literally thousands of passengers that were from Mexico and leaving was a nightmare.  I guess there are lots of extra steps with Immigration and it delayed our departure several hours.  Getting back was a snap though since thousands of passengers were in the Immigration/ Customs lines for International travel and we sailed right through the passport line. 

The 1:00 shuttle will be fine for getting to Hobby.  Just have your extra patience handy for departure.

Thank you so much, good to know! I was hit with sticker shock when Southwest opened our flights, they were almost double what they had been running. I thought I had plenty of points for five round trips but had to fork over quite a bit of cash too. I knew to expect it to be higher but not as bad as the major holidays because a lot of US schools have a Spring Break rather than an Easter Week. 

I found out Hobby is the hub for all Southwest flights to Mexico and I thought that might be it and your experience last year confirms it. I bought FTTF for our cruise, now it sounds like that was a good idea and at least we should still be able to board quickly. A delayed departure is ok, we have anytime dining so can plan around it. I definitely want to be on our balcony when we finally sail away, can’t wait! 

Edited by LaRue1975