NCL Bliss mini-suite w/ 3 year old

sboston06

Hello! We are a family of 3 with a little girl. We have been on a few cruises in the past but are planning our first one as a family of 3. She will be 3.5 at time of sailing. My question is about the "sofabed" on the Norwegian Bliss mini-suite (category MC). I'm not sure if mini-suites in other ships are the same. At home, she sleeps in a toddler bed with a railing (we have never coslept and she would not be able to handle that). We're hoping the mini-suite would be perfect for us and she could sleep on the sofabed. Is it a pull-out couch, or does it have ability to add a toddler rail (I wonder if there's a foldup travel one I could buy or fit hers in the suitcase, or use a pool noodle under the sheets)?

Adding a photo of the setup if that's helpful.

m9xl.jpg

you can prop her up with a chair. It's not too far to fall even if she does. :)

On his first cruise (DS was 3) we had a sofa bed and didn't need the guard rails - he never fell off. My DS has been sleeping on the bunk beds while cruising since he was 4, and he never fell out.

He is 8 now, and we were on a different ship with the same kind of a sofa bed this April. When unfolded into a bed, it took up the entire (inside) cabin passage, so we left it rolled up in a sofa mode for DS. He fell off of it the first night because it's narrow when unfolded and he is a big guy, so we started propping up a chair against the sofa bed and didn't have a problem afterwards.

A 3 yo is much smaller than a large 8 yo, so your DD will be fine on a folded or unfolded sofa bed. A mini-suite is much bigger than an inside cabin, so you won't have any problems with the unfolded sofa bed taking up too much space.

5 minutes ago, OzCanuck said:

You can get inflatable bed rails (google: shrunks).  We used these for several cruises for those pulled out sofa beds. 

We’re actually getting her the shrunks air mattress for Christmas but thought it might be too bulky to bring on a cruise. 

27 minutes ago, sboston06 said:

We’re actually getting her the shrunks air mattress for Christmas but thought it might be too bulky to bring on a cruise. 

It is too bulky I suspect, but they also sell these inflatable rails that are quite compact - that's what i was referring to.  A couple of rolled up towels would probably also work depending on the child, but the Shrunks have nice grip bottoms and are quite long when fully inflated. 

Bring a "pool noodle"....weighs little and can fit inside the perimeter of your suitcase.  Put it under the bottom sheet on her bed and it will make a raised area so she won't "roll" out.  Or, if you have a sofa, simply turn it to face the wall....and don't make it up as a bed.....a 3.5 year old should fit just fine!

• Like 1

Oooh good idea with turning the sofa. I thought maybe it was attached to the wall or the floor. I think we have decided on booking a balcony since it’s essentially the same as a mini suite on the Bliss. It’ll still give us a sofa bed for the little one. 

So so glad I found this forum...I’m really looking forward to our trip!