One Year Of The Edge: What We've Learned From The Cabin Spreadsheet And A REQUEST FOR YOUR REVIEW!

vtcruising

The Edge is a year old and the Edge Cabin Info sticky was started 11/23/18. We have 92 cabin reviews so far. Most categories have been reviewed - we are missing a category 11 inside and Penthouse, Edge Villa and Iconic Suite. The more reviews we have, the more info we will have for choosing the best cabin locations.

Since the new itineraries for 2021-2022 will be out soon, it would be great to have more Edge reviews in the cabin sticky here on Cruise Critic. We all depend upon our fellow cruisers' reports in order to choose the best cabins. Please review your Edge cabin on the Edge Class Cabin Info thread below as soon as possible so others will benefit from your experience!!

A few things I have gleaned from reviewing the data we have so far:

• The insides are generally liked - people generally think they are good-sized and appreciate that they have the larger bathroom and other amenities of the veranda cabins.
  • The Ocean Views on Deck 3 seem to have good reviews, with a couple of exceptions. Someone reported noise - the Engineer said it was from a problem with the gyrostabilizer, which will be fixed during drydock and corrected on the Apex - she said the noise was heard in the hallway outside cabins 3128-3178 (only a starboard side issue). The good news is that the Deck 3 cabins don't seem to have Martini Bar/Grand Plaza 3 noise that was a concern.
  • Someone in 6169 heard vibrations from the Club underneath, so cabins in that area may be an issue.
  • The 1A's and 1B's (porthole-type hull balconies) seem to have some obstructions outside their balconies (window washing equipment, camera pods, for example) and the balconies are quite small (40 sq ft). Most people seemed to like them.
  • Deck 6 way forward cabins (1B's and a few E4's) have a crew walkway outside their balconies which will impact the view,  especially down - also one person reported theater noise way forward (the theater is underneath).
  • Deck 6 has lots of partially obstructed views from the lifeboats and tenders. Most are not too obstructive, except the ones with the davit (lifeboat crane) in front of the window - the IV's with davit views are classified as E5's now and cost less, though there are some Panoramic Ocean Views with davit views (6130, 6131, 6224-6227)
  • The one bow-facing OV review mentioned crew party noise at night (outside crew area in bow during a very early cruise - hopefully they moved the crew gathering spot).
  • There is the usual noise of pool deck music and chair scraping, cart rolling for the cabins on Deck 12, but didn't seem to be a huge issue in most cabins reviewed.
  • Deck 12 S3's: a couple of them had a banging noise in the ceiling (12158 and 12160) that hopefully has been addressed.
  • The Sky Suites were generally well-liked. There are some partial obstructive view issues with the views on the S3's because of the Magic Carpet rails and the overhang of the Magic Carpet with spikes hanging down can be bothersome to Deck 11-12 S3's when the Magic Carpet is on Deck 14. The S1and S2 locations seem pretty good - there was some noise from a crew stairwell door slamming reported from 10117 (so maybe 10116 as well).
  • The IV's have mixed reviews, but most of those who reviewed them liked them - out of the people responding to "Would you book this cabin again?" there were 21 who said Yes, 9 who said No and 5 who said Maybe. Some of the Nos and Maybes were qualified by saying they might book a different IV, just not that one. We will be able to tell more about overall satisfaction as more reviews are posted. There is a lot a good info about location on the spreadsheet, if one chooses an IV.

Thank you to all who have posted their cabin info and all of your fellow Cruise Critic cruisers thank you too!! 🙂

I hope that others will post their cabin info so that we can be better educated when booking our cabins.  To add your cabin info, just copy the review template in the first post from the the thread below, paste it into a new post, fill in your info and post it. I will add it to the spreadsheet (link to spreadsheet in first post). Thanks!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/

Partially obstructed Edge cabins:

EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View-2.pdf

Advice for choosing an Infinite Veranda:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2708521-how-do-i-choose-an-infinite-veranda-on-edge-or-apex/?tab=comments#comment-58728798

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, mafig said:

Thank you so much.

I don't cruise just Celebrity.  Whenever I do research on other lines I'm always surprised (frustrated, too), that I can't find such good info. on cabin selection.

👍

The M Class and S Class stickies have helped save me from undesirable cabins. Hopefully people will continue to fill in the blanks for us on the Edge Class sticky. I have used it once (to avoid 10117) and some locations to avoid are starting to be apparent, so that is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much VT for all of your posts.  You have made my life much easier in the process, as your information is so relevant for those of us looking for more specific details...I can't wait for your Apex review, so I can learn the significant differences, tiny changes and your comparison with Edge.  I wonder if I will book Beyond for its first TA?  I do have place holders, but of course those can be canceled if need be, as I have refundable bookings.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cdresser said:

I just won a moveup bid for an edge villa on the Dec 8 cruise. I plan on doing a live blog but at the very least I'll post to the Edge cabin compilation when I return.

That is amazing! I was able to tour one - really liked those suites - liked the pool, the colors, views. Congrats!

1449201563_ev9-Copy.jpg.f14e46664a7be4e34ff185cb9aa784db.jpg

ev23.thumb.jpg.9372b68e8c6ed77b4b8b02ca821600bf.jpg

image.thumb.png.a31e7eb51580bf6b790c393839cdaf41.png

1733086461_evbed-Copy.thumb.jpg.6d43ae89de001ca5450e0366aa01c35d.jpg

448717186_ev20-Copy.thumb.jpg.f81a05a74d5cf451ed805316d07c2fef.jpg

image.thumb.png.0f38836bb836c765178c50b6bd8440af.png

ev bath 2.jpg

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks for starting this thread, Vt🦋 I had just been bemoaning the fact that so few of us had posted cabin reviews on your Edge class spreadsheet. Some people have posted reviews or comments elsewhere, but it would be extremely helpful if everyone would also post a cabin review on the spreadsheet. I guess it will take time to achieve the very helpful critical mass of reviews that we have on the S-class and M-class spreadsheets. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks for starting this thread, Vt🦋 I had just been bemoaning the fact that so few of us had posted cabin reviews on your Edge class spreadsheet. Some people have posted reviews or comments elsewhere, but it would be extremely helpful if everyone would also post a cabin review on the spreadsheet. I guess it will take time to achieve the very helpful critical mass of reviews that we have on the S-class and M-class spreadsheets. 

I definitely plan to review my solo IV after my cruise in Feb. I have found very few reviews of them period, much less on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Hi!  Glad to see you back posting!  Hope all is well with you.

Yes, I wish things would pick up on the cabin sticky. Maybe people post a review here and give their feedback to X on the post-cruise survey (and maybe complain about their cabin issues to GS onboard) so  are sick of reviewing. We really need to know the good, the bad and the ugly about as many cabins as possible, so hopefully things will pick up.  Maybe as people look at the cabin sticky to make their decisions and see that there are a lot of holes, they will be more motivated to add theirs after their cruises. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3