Early or late dining on Alaska Cruise

LB_NJ

We have always done late seating on every cruise we have taken.  In Alaska you will want to see as much as you can and in many cases may arrive late back to the ship.  Early seating will already have occurred.  Or you could opt for Anytime Dining although personally we don't like that.

8 minutes ago, TM said:

We have always done late seating on every cruise we have taken.  In Alaska you will want to see as much as you can and in many cases may arrive late back to the ship.  Early seating will already have occurred.  Or you could opt for Anytime Dining although personally we don't like that.

I prefer late seating also. I have done both but prefer late seating as it allows for nap time when we have busy mornings with excursions. I have never done Alaska before. 

Curious why you dont like Anytime Dining TM? I have never done that but thought about trying it.

Depending on the time of year you're sailing remember that sunset can be very late.  In July the sun will be up until around ten PM.......if that makes any difference keep it in mind.  We sailed in September when times are more normal.

I would consider anytime dining, provides additional flexibility. If you normally enjoy dining later it's usually fairly easy to be seated after 7:00pm. Another consideration is that on evenings with late departures traditional seating frequently changes to open seating.

I agree about trying anytime dining. In Alaska it works very well. For many people, like me, Alaska cruises are more about the itinerary than the ship or the food. Certainly many people sail for the ship even in Alaska but there is so much to do and see on Alaskan cruises. The ports are the highlight on Alaska cruises. If you don't want any time dining I would definitely do the late dining.

Edited by frugaltravel

We've never had anything but anytime dining.  We don't mind have different dining partners when we use the MDR as it keeps things interesting.  We usually ask for a table for 2 anyway due to the fact the larger tables tend to take much longer to go from appetizer through dessert.  Dinner is already a process that takes nearly 2 hours in the MDR, we've seen it take longer than that.  

We only go to the MDR on formal nights anyway.  For us it is simply nerve wracking to want to see a show or performance and if the other people at the table aren't on the same schedule they can unintentionally cause us to be late because of how service runs.

Everyone is different.  We go on cruises for the itinerary.  Other people go for the comradery, etc.  Pick what best suits your personality and goals for the trip.  If it doesn't work initially, you can alter it.  You live, you learn.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Coral said:

I believe the Pacific Princess is sailing one ways in 2020 and that ship doesn't have Anytime dining.

That is only one of at least three princess ships doing one way cruises in Alaska next year. Even then, with late port times the Pacific princess often switches to anytime dining anyway.

13 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

That is only one of at least three princess ships doing one way cruises in Alaska next year. Even then, with late port times the Pacific princess often switches to anytime dining anyway.

Correct - I just thought I would point it out as some may think all Princess ships have Anytime dining. Heck, some have never even done Traditional. Makes me feel old.