Early drop off of carry ons if Platinum or above

cruise to live

14 hours ago, cruise to live said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that if you were Platinum status, or above, you could drop off your carry on bags to you room early.  Is this still the case, or is my memory failing me again.  Thank you:  Matt

Depends on the ship. If the cabins are ready anyone can drop of their stuff. We've been on 25 Princess cruises and dropped of our belongings in the cabin as soon as we boarded on every cruise except one. 

On cruise #25 (on the Ruby), the cabins were not ready and the access doors to the hallways were closed and alarmed. 

We were not happy, but what can you do?

I've never heard that this issue (dropping off luggage if cabin is not ready) is in any way impacted by Captain's Circle level.  Though I have no doubt that some boorish fools have raised their voices and tried to throw their status around in an attempt to get the crew to allow them earlier access. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, cruise to live said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that if you were Platinum status, or above, you could drop off your carry on bags to you room early.  Is this still the case, or is my memory failing me again.  Thank you:  Matt

Your Captains Circle status has nothing to do with access to cabins or when they are finished being readied for the next cruise.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

IF you are in a suite it is likely that your cabin will be ready for you to drop off luggage.

We have found this not to be true on several occasions.

• Like 3

Nowhere on either of the listed benefits does it say early access to Stateroom. There are other cruise lines where "level" gets you early access. It appears Princess does not have such benefit.

Captain's Circle Benefits:  https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page

Suite Benefits: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Edited by JennyB1977

Although some ships may have asked that people don't go to their cabins until 1 PM we've never had any problem in just dropping off our luggage in the cabin (whether ready or not) and then proceed to lunch. 

I believe that their intent was that people not occupy the cabins until they were finished but the stewards we've encountered had no problem with us just popping in to drop off the luggage. 

1 hour ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

Although some ships may have asked that people don't go to their cabins until 1 PM we've never had any problem in just dropping off our luggage in the cabin (whether ready or not) and then proceed to lunch. 

I believe that their intent was that people not occupy the cabins until they were finished but the stewards we've encountered had no problem with us just popping in to drop off the luggage. 

No the intent was for you to stay out of Stewart’s way and let them do their job.

When access is blocked and passengers are told they should not go there until they are ready it doesn’t mean you can drop off your stuff. It means wait until they are ready like everyone else has to.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No the intent was for you to stay out of Stewart’s way and let them do their job.

When access is blocked and passengers are told they should not go there until they are ready it doesn’t mean you can drop off your stuff. It means wait until they are ready like everyone else has to.

Exactly.

I know when we were on the Ruby (R/T Seattle) in the summer of 2018 NO ONE could access cabins before 1 pm because the hallway doors were locked.  They did have a drop off area (Crown Grill IIRC) or you could take your carry-ons with you which is what we did and had no problem placing them nearby our table in the MDR for embarkation lunch. 

The tradeoff seemed to be that they were allowing people to board well before 11 am (we arrived around 10:45 and they were calling group 9 already).  Personally, I'd rather be able to board early and hang out on the ship than sit around in the terminal!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Well as long as I can make my way to the cabin I'd still prefer to drop off the luggage no matter what their intent was. We don't interfere with the steward doing his job in any way. We've never had any steward refuse to let us leave our luggage although they did say that the room will be ready shortly. 

If others want to utilize the drop off areas, it's their choice. 

Well as long as I can make my way to the cabin I'd still prefer to drop off the luggage no matter what their intent was. We don't interfere with the steward doing his job in any way. We've never had any steward refuse to let us leave our luggage although they did say that the room will be ready shortly. 

Of course.     🙄

• Like 4

And if something goes missing from said dropped bags ... ?

• Like 1

the "just drop off our bags" was abused ... it became more like " I've got to use the bathroom . I'm just going to change into my swimsuit after a quick shower .. oh, look honey, let's take some pictures ... I'm just going to do a quick facetime to show everyone back home our fab balcony

etc, etc, etc ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

And if something goes missing from said dropped bags ... ?

What, my underwear? The good stuff goes in the safe. 

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the "just drop off our bags" was abused ... it became more like " I've got to use the bathroom . I'm just going to change into my swimsuit after a quick shower .. oh, look honey, let's take some pictures ... I'm just going to do a quick facetime to show everyone back home our fab balcony

etc, etc, etc ...

No. No pictures, no bathroom, etc. Just get rid of all our luggage & put stuff in the safe. 

Wait for the outcry ...

If and when Princess decides on a policy change ...

If pax are unable to respect a simple request to stay out of cabins til they're announced as ready ...

No one will board the ship til cabins are ready ...

Stewards likely work more efficiently without interruption ...

It's a respect thing for these hard-working folks

• Like 3

On 11/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, birdiebill said:

On our last cruise with Princess, the Regal Princess out of Brooklyn back on October 12, access to the staterooms was not available until 1:00 pm.  That is the first time we have not had access upon boarding.  Don't know about suites though.

Stewards that are assigned to full suites usually only have that category to work on, so it is unlikely they would be finished with their cabins earlier than stewards that are preparing regular cabins.

With a level you will get on the ship earlier if they have not started letting people on yet.  But like others have said not to the room.  We got on and went for lunch, lots of room to keep the carry ons near us, by the time we finished lunch they announced the rooms were ready.

It was nice to be sent right upstairs to the first lounge, and we were the 3rd group they let on board.  Next time I will not be with my Mom, the person with Elite, so we will be with the crowds.