Vista class ships overcrowded?

cruisingguy007

We sailed the Horizon a month or so after it came to the US. It was the most crowded ship we have ever been on. With that being said it was our best cruise thanks to the Havana area. If it were not for the Havana area cruise would have been pretty bad. I have never seen pool decks and pools so crowded, it was literally a mad house. We did cruise out of NY in the middle of August. The Hub app was a great thing and made dining a breeze. I will say crowds were very prevalent in the Theater and comedy shows causing us to have some bad seats and missing shows. We were always the couple that would show up 20 to 30 mins early to get good seats. 30 minutes before comedy shows on horizon had lines half way around the ship. With that all being said we still had a blast. I would said a vista class again but only with a Havana cabin. 

I cruised on the Vista in October of 2018 and December 2019 at Christmas.  There was 4,984 guests on the ship.  It felt overcrowded at times if I am honest.  I did NOT feel that way when we cruised in 2018.  

On 2/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, tap_out said:

We sailed the Horizon a month or so after it came to the US. It was the most crowded ship we have ever been on. With that being said it was our best cruise thanks to the Havana area. If it were not for the Havana area cruise would have been pretty bad. I have never seen pool decks and pools so crowded, it was literally a mad house. We did cruise out of NY in the middle of August. The Hub app was a great thing and made dining a breeze. I will say crowds were very prevalent in the Theater and comedy shows causing us to have some bad seats and missing shows. We were always the couple that would show up 20 to 30 mins early to get good seats. 30 minutes before comedy shows on horizon had lines half way around the ship. With that all being said we still had a blast. I would said a vista class again but only with a Havana cabin. 

Completely agree about Havana.  Sailed in a regular cabin on Vista and it was nice, but the Havana on Horizon was a completely different experience.  I don't plan on sailing this class again unless it is in Havana.  It was like our own little neighborhood back there, NO SMALL KIDS and never ever crowded.  

Have only been on Horizon and was hesitant to go due to large number of passengers. Found the lanai so deserted I thought we had a private yacht. The only place we ran into crowds more than on any other ship was the comedy club. Yes, there was a long line but all the people in line got in. Usually waited 15 minutes and got choice of seats. Could have come in later and still decent seats. Very few bad seats. I would much rather wait in line a bit and have the fantastic comedians they had than walk in anytime like we recently did on Legend. There were four different comedians, one of which was really good. But they all did just one family and one adult show. They repeated the same shows the next evening.

The usual lines anywhere else

We have been on many different classes of Carnival ships, and sailed on Vista and Horizon.  The Vista and Horizon both felt more crowded (to me) than smaller ships.  I think part of it is perception, since the main lobby bar and atrium no longer extend many floors overhead.  The main Lido area is busy/crowded on every ship during nice sea days- so that isn't really a basis for my opinion.  

We found the anytime dining wait to be a little longer on both Vista and Horizon.  The comedy clubs were definitely SRO and too small.  We do not spend a lot of time at the comedy shows so it wasn't a huge problem for us, but if you are a frequent comedy club attendee, it could put a damper on things.  

I found several areas where we could get away from the crowds/people on lower decks but still be outside or in a pleasant sitting arrangement on deck 5.    

Overall- I would say the crowds are more intrusive on Vista and Horizon, but not enough to prevent me from booking a cruise on either ship.  The decor is subdued and more like a hotel than the older gaudy ships (which I kind of love- really).  There is plenty to do and it is entirely possible to not feel crowded if you are willing to explore and not cram into the comedy club or eat at Guy's burgers (or anywhere) at the peak lunch or dinner hour.