Coca Cola OUT, Pepsi Cola IN

LMaxwell

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Why is that?

I found where I got the clue that there might be a change... from press release, John Heald, on 11/13/2019  " Pepsi has also pledged to work with Carnival in our ongoing efforts to reduce single-use plastics on board as we move more beverage products to aluminum, glass and soda dispensers where space and access allows. " ... it is on the "FB" ... you can read it by googling "John Heald coke pepsi"

Edited by Bevv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

There won’t be any Coke or Sprite family products as those are exclusive to Coke.

It was mentioned that some recipes/drinks call for Coke specific and they might carry for that reason . That isn’t going happen

The first thing that comes to mind are restaurants that usually have Pepsi or Coke products, and most of them have bars these days. I don't drink a lot of mixed drinks, nor do I go to a lot of bars, so I've never run into a situation where I've ordered a drink that called for Coke in a restaurant that serves Pepsi products. Are you saying the ones that serve Pepsi products never stock Coke for their bars? It just doesn't seem feasible that all restaurant bars, where the restaurant serves Pepsi products, don't carry Coke for drinks that call for it. Some people are very particular about their favorite drinks and don't want substitutions. It seems more likely that contracts can be adjusted to allow for this.

22 minutes ago, Bevv said:

I should have phrased that as COULD  not may.  Since Carnival is doing a big push to minimize waste, with the change to Pepsi it could be where they changed to fountain on their drinks.  Just a thought on my part.

Aluminum cans are recycled, so there shouldn't be any waste there. Fountain syrups come in plastic jugs or bags and those are usually contained inside a cardboard box. So a fountain system produces more waste than cans. Not to mention the requirement of CO2 canisters to be kept somewhere, which take up a lot of room, and the necessity to run lines for the system. That's probably why he said, "where space and access allows it." For this reason, I don't see them installing very many fountain systems on existing ships, especially older/smaller ones.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:47 AM, sanmarcosman said:

That's a Coke product. Maybe he can develop a taste for Mr. Pibb which is a Pepsi product. I've done it in a pinch and they both contain prune juice! 🙂 

Nope, hate to burst your bubble, but Dr Pepper isn't a coke product. 

Currently, the majority of Pepsi and Coke bottlers bottling Dr Pepper are owned by PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company after their buyouts of their major bottlers. Presently, Dr Pepper Snapple relies on its own bottling group to bottle and distribute its products in more than 30 states.

Technically it's its own product. 

3 minutes ago, Kennebec said:

Nope, hate to burst your bubble, but Dr Pepper isn't a coke product. 

Currently, the majority of Pepsi and Coke bottlers bottling Dr Pepper are owned by PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company after their buyouts of their major bottlers. Presently, Dr Pepper Snapple relies on its own bottling group to bottle and distribute its products in more than 30 states.

Technically it's its own product. 

That's already been established, a few times. Please read through the thread.

23 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The first thing that comes to mind are restaurants that usually have Pepsi or Coke products, and most of them have bars these days. I don't drink a lot of mixed drinks, nor do I go to a lot of bars, so I've never run into a situation where I've ordered a drink that called for Coke in a restaurant that serves Pepsi products. Are you saying the ones that serve Pepsi products never stock Coke for their bars? It just doesn't seem feasible that all restaurant bars, where the restaurant serves Pepsi products, don't carry Coke for drinks that call for it. Some people are very particular about their favorite drinks and don't want substitutions. It seems more likely that contracts can be adjusted to allow for this.

Bars/Restaurants usually have it on dispenser systems (guns) many times it’s a generic cola.

Pepsi will not adjust the contract to allow Coke. There is way too much money involved in soda contracts. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bevv said:

I found where I got the clue that there might be a change... from press release, John Heald, on 11/13/2019  " Pepsi has also pledged to work with Carnival in our ongoing efforts to reduce single-use plastics on board as we move more beverage products to aluminum, glass and soda dispensers where space and access allows. " ... it is on the "FB" ... you can read it by googling "John Heald coke pepsi"

Thanks

42 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Bars/Restaurants usually have it on dispenser systems (guns) many times it’s a generic cola.

Pepsi will not adjust the contract to allow Coke. There is way too much money involved in soda contracts. 

The NFL also has a contract with Pepsi and some stadiums serve coke. They also served Coke at the superbowl where Pepsi was the official sponsor. All contracts of this nature have provisions that will allow for exceptions but I agree that they probably won't store Coke at the bar for drinks. 

Edited by regoodwinjr
Spelling

2 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

my wife and i have a simple solution to not liking the change to pepsi and not having to complain about the change....we'll just bring on a 12-pack of coke. problem solved. 😁

I brought my own 12 pack of Coke Zero on my last Carnival Cruise even without the changes. I don’t think I spent a dime on soda at the bars on that cruise. So even after the changes, I don’t think things will be that different as long as I can continue bringing my own soda. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, pe4all said:

Ugh.  I hate pepsi- seems to give me a headache.  I always purchase bottomless bubbles, and drink only caffeine-free diet coke.  Has anyone seen if caffeine-free diet pepsi is on the list of included products?  I am not on facebook, so I cannot pose the question there.  Otherwise - lots of club soda for me!!

Yes, it is

Here's a list of products, as listed by John Heald:

Pepsi*
Diet Pepsi*
Pepsi Zero Sugar*
Caffeine Free Pepsi*
Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free*
Sierra Mist*
Sierra Mist Zero Sugar*
Mug Root Beer*
Diet Mug Root Beer*
Mountain Dew*
Diet Mountain Dew*
Bubly Lime Sparkling Water*
Bubly Grapefruit Sparkling Water*
Bubly Orange Sparkling Water*
Naked Green Machine

Naked Mighty Mango
Naked Strawberry Banana
Half Naked Lively Greens
Half Naked Peach with Ginger
Pure Leaf Honey Green Tea+
Pure Leaf Tea & Lemonade+
Pure Leaf Unsweetened Black Tea+
Pure Leaf Sweet Tea+
Gatorade Lemon Lime+
Gatorade Fruit Punch+
Propel Electrolyte Water+
Propel Strawberry Raspberry+
Propel Peach Mango+
Starbucks Frappuccino+
Starbucks Double Shot Espresso+

Well they found my weakness. I love diet coke and can't drink Pepsi. Just don't like it. My favourite restaurant switched from Coke to Pepsi. So I no longer have pop there.... I order a margarita or two instead. Just means I'll spend more on daiqaris and margaritas and martinis. Luckily my son doesn't like pop so I'll bring my 12 diet coke and he'll have 12 more for me. 

Maybe Carnival was looking for an effective way to increase their bar sales? 

21 minutes ago, SeekingSun13 said:

Well they found my weakness. I love diet coke and can't drink Pepsi. Just don't like it. My favourite restaurant switched from Coke to Pepsi.

A new bar manager at our  country club switched to Pepsi  ... but,  it only lasted for a couple of days  'til COKE was back.  Almost got him fired.   :classic_mellow: 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, beerman2 said:

Sorry Chaos I'm sure Pepsi is paying $$$$$ to Carnival either in kickback money(volume) or direct cost/pricing.

For those reason the contract will call for exclusivity. Recipe or not highly doubt any Coke product will be on board. 

Breach of contract would be the reason.

On 11/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, beerman2 said:

True Dr. Pepper as a choice might be possible as Pepsi does have it in their portfolio in certain areas.

There won’t be any Coke or Sprite family products as those are exclusive to Coke.

It was mentioned that some recipes/drinks call for Coke specific and they might carry for that reason . That isn’t going happen

I also doubt there will be Coke - or it will be extremely limited.  I noticed Carnival didn't have Dark and Stormy on the menu - but did have Rum and Ginger Beer (D&S is specifically dark rum).  My thought is they will serve rum & cola, not rum & Coke.  Also, in the southeastern US it is common for all carbonated drinks to be coke "What type of Coke do you want? Root beer, please."

17 hours ago, ohiowilly said:

Yes, it is

Here's a list of products, as listed by John Heald:

Pepsi*
Diet Pepsi*
Pepsi Zero Sugar*
Caffeine Free Pepsi*
Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free*
Sierra Mist*
Sierra Mist Zero Sugar*
Mug Root Beer*
Diet Mug Root Beer*
Mountain Dew*
Diet Mountain Dew*
Bubly Lime Sparkling Water*
Bubly Grapefruit Sparkling Water*
Bubly Orange Sparkling Water*
Naked Green Machine

Naked Mighty Mango
Naked Strawberry Banana
Half Naked Lively Greens
Half Naked Peach with Ginger

Pure Leaf Honey Green Tea+
Pure Leaf Tea & Lemonade+
Pure Leaf Unsweetened Black Tea+
Pure Leaf Sweet Tea+
Gatorade Lemon Lime+
Gatorade Fruit Punch+
Propel Electrolyte Water+
Propel Strawberry Raspberry+
Propel Peach Mango+
Starbucks Frappuccino+
Starbucks Double Shot Espresso+

Did anyone else notice the Naked/Half Naked Drinks have neither an * or +?  Does this mean they will be available only a la carte like the specialty juices at MDR breakfast?  I'm guessing they const less than $20 each (Cheers cap).

On 11/16/2019 at 8:55 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Not happy, considering cancelling my Carnival Freedom cruise next year.  Now if they switch from Pepsi to Dr. Pepper, including 7 Up, Canada Dry, and RC Cola, I'll have trouble booking any other cruise line.

Wow, you'd cancel an entire cruise because they don't serve your favorite brand of soda? So does that mean you're considering never sailing on Carnival at all for the same reason? You could just bring your own Coke on board.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Not happy, considering cancelling my Carnival Freedom cruise next year.  Now if they switch from Pepsi to Dr. Pepper, including 7 Up, Canada Dry, and RC Cola, I'll have trouble booking any other cruise line.

Wut, You would cancel an entire Cruise sailing because they don't carry your preferred soda?  I Don't like it either but Pepsi co does at least have Mt Dew and Rootbeer so I can manage. Even though I would much prefer Sprite. 

11 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I also doubt there will be Coke - or it will be extremely limited.  I noticed Carnival didn't have Dark and Stormy on the menu - but did have Rum and Ginger Beer (D&S is specifically dark rum).  My thought is they will serve rum & cola, not rum & Coke.  Also, in the southeastern US it is common for all carbonated drinks to be coke "What type of Coke do you want? Root beer, please."

I have never heard this....  Perhaps it was a thing "back in the day", but certainly not now.

Edited by georgiacruizer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, georgiacruizer said:

I have never heard this....  Perhaps it was a thing "back in the day", but certainly not now.

I encountered it in the 80's, 90's and even this century when visiting family in TN.  It often comes up on "what do you call carbonated beverages" discussions (soda vs. pop) from others too.  The south is very big, so I imagine it can vary by region and level of urban/rural.  Even in my state about half call it soda while the other half calls it pop.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Djptcp said:

I hate Pepsi - smells like a cleanser. So much for ordering a Rum and Coke. Rum and Pepsi? Yuck! What about all the other cocktails that call for Coke, not just a cola? We'll keep bringing our cans of coke on board with us. DH will have to order a shot of Rum and bring his own Coke to mix with it.

Even cheap rum should never be mixed with soda pop.