Roundtrip Coastal Cruise Early October...Weather?

SargassoPirate

Honestly, pretty much everything. It's supposed to be quite a wet month on average, but I just did Bergen-Kirkenes-Svolvaer this past October (departure Oct 9th) and we had 8 days of beautiful weather and about 2 hours of rain altogether. Then on the week after that there was a huge storm and then 50cm of snowfall in Tromsø around Oct 25th!
In Norway you have to be ready for any weather but I think it's even more true at those "in between" seasons. Rain is likely, sun is likely, snow not so likely but possible. Temperature should remain positive but you could have only a few °C in the North. Get a good windproof/waterproof jacket and some layers to be ready for anything.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I think layering will be the way to go.  I'm an old Boy Scout, so I'll be prepared.

However, She Who Must Be Obeyed is preparing for a trek across the polar snowcap.  We'll see how it all shakes out when packing day rolls around.  We may use Luggage Forward to send an extra bag of cruise-only gear to the ship.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

We may use Luggage Forward to send an extra bag of cruise-only gear to the ship.

I believe your cruise gear will be exactly the same as needed for you post cruise Norwegian adventures - nothing extra needs for the ship.
- self laundry available

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

I believe your cruise gear will be exactly the same as needed for you post cruise Norwegian adventures - nothing extra needs for the ship.

I totally agree with that. You don't need special clothing for the ship, no dress code, if you are outdoor on deck your clothing should be the same than during the post-cruise trip. Just bring some layers of different warmth and a good outer jacket (doesn't have to be warm but must have very good windproof/waterproof abilities and ideally be of breathable material).

I just was on a 2 weeks trip in Norway including one week aboard the ship and my suitcase weighted 15kg (and there are some stuff I didn't use as always) and that's including warm clothings for NL chase trips at night (+ 8kg photo gear cabin bag).

• Thanks 1

We did RT in early October - boarded the Kong Harald on October 2nd.  We had rain (of course) in Bergen (we spent 2 nights there before getting on the boat...) - and then had marvelous weather for the entire trip.  There were a couple of misty times - but overall, clear and cool.  Of course, we needed hats/mitts/warm coats for our time on deck - but overall, nothing "brutal" on the weather front.  In fact, at one point - I ran out on deck with my sandals on - no socks... and I was fine.  Although, some might say that being from Canada, the "cold" wasn't that much out of line for us...   We were expecting colder once we crossed into the Arctic Circle - but were pleasantly surprised.  

On 11/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, franski said:

We did RT in early October - boarded the Kong Harald on October 2nd.  We had rain (of course) in Bergen (we spent 2 nights there before getting on the boat...) - and then had marvelous weather for the entire trip.  There were a couple of misty times - but overall, clear and cool.  Of course, we needed hats/mitts/warm coats for our time on deck - but overall, nothing "brutal" on the weather front.  In fact, at one point - I ran out on deck with my sandals on - no socks... and I was fine.  Although, some might say that being from Canada, the "cold" wasn't that much out of line for us...   We were expecting colder once we crossed into the Arctic Circle - but were pleasantly surprised.  

Thanks, franski, that's encouraging.  There is the old saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"

• Like 1