Overbooked? How does this happen?

HicksRA

Just got a phone message from RCI stating that their Grand Suites were overbooked and they were offering cash back of half what I paid plus $200 OBC to step down to a JS for my upcoming cruise in 4 days. If you book by specific cabins, how do they end up with more sold than available?  Maybe having to take a cabin out of service? 
I declined BTW. The wife would not be happy...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

Just got a phone message from RCI stating that their Grand Suites were overbooked and they were offering cash back of half what I paid plus $200 OBC to step down to a JS for my upcoming cruise in 4 days. If you book by specific cabins, how do they end up with more sold than available?  Maybe having to take a cabin out of service? 

There are three kinds of people in the world.

Those who can count.

and

Those who can't.

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

18 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Could be that their RoyalUP software has a bug.

Last you saw what were the prices of a Grand Suite and Js's ?  Seems you might  have been over paying for the JS anyway if you would have taken it.

I guess this is how it happens? Crazy low price when you booked, and they had some foul up when reserving cabons, surprised it took this long though to figure it out they made a mistake. Hang on though,  you might get a better offer to give up the GS.

Edited by Jimbo

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Last you saw what were the prices of a Grand Suite and Js's ?  Seems you might  have been over paying for the JS anyway if you would have taken it.

I guess this is how it happens? Crazy low price when you booked, and they had some foul up when reserving cabons, surprised it took this long though to figure it out they made a mistake. Hang on though,  you might get a better offer to give up the GS.

This is on the Liberty. I didn’t state that in the original post. 

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

There are three kinds of people in the world.

Those who can count.

and

Those who can't.

There are also 2 types of people in the world.   Those who can extrapolate from  incomplete information..😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Airlines do this frequently.

If you get an offer like this, counter offer.  All they can do it say no.

I would have asked for 100% back, the JR Suite, but with GS perks. 😄

Most likely reason, a cabin or two has to go out of service.

And BTW, there are 10 types of people.  Those who understand binary and those who do not. 😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

My parents had this happen on their Alaskan cruise on Viking this past July. The offer they received to push their cruise back a year was VERY generous, but at 70/78 they opted to decline after some serious deliberation - both are in excellent health but felt you never know what the next year will bring, especially when they’ve got other places they want to go. 

Turns out they should have taken it because the majority of their cruise was low cloud cover. 🤣

Had this happen to us once before...

I was curious as to why and kind of stalked the room just to see if it was in use. It was occupied by a minor celebrity's family (a talk show host). It may be that some folks have the inroads to get what they want (not a big surprise).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SRF said:

If you get an offer like this, counter offer.  All they can do it say no.

I would have asked for 100% back, the JR Suite, but with GS perks. 😄

Most likely reason, a cabin or two has to go out of service.

And BTW, there are 10 types of people.  Those who understand binary and those who do not. 😄

Good point about counter offer to be made.

I expected this to be similar to the airline discussion in that they sold a few more interior cabins here and someone huffed and puffed at how this can even be a thing. Only to explain that on average, so many people don't show up by default. Especially on a ship of thousands of people. It is more profitable to deal with those few scenarios with compensation than to leave the seats always open.

But in this case, I find this peculiar. I wouldn't imagine there are that many grand suites to where people aren't showing up enough or other reasons. I guess not.

If it were me, I would have gladly pocketed hundreds if not thousands to have a smaller suite. Would have still asked for more too.

23 hours ago, mugtech said:

NCL did it with inside cabins 5 years ago, gave us back every dollar plus $1,000 FCC to cancel about 6 weeks out.  Best return on investment ever.

I would have jumped on that in a split second with no second thoughts. Lucky you.

21 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Airlines are NOT like cruise ships...this shouldn't happen.  I'm glad you declined their offer.

It is not a mistake. Cruise lines want to make more money. They probably got much better offer for GS so they can afford to offer it.

I've seen even better offers. They do not make you to take offer , they will ask other people, increase offer till someone agrees.

I've seen similar offers on other line. Person was offered inside cruise for 3 weeks for free plus huge OBC instead of balcony. He was glad to get it.