Venice underwater--embarking 11/24--should I worry?

numberguy

The Weather Channel website says Venice is 85% underwater, and they're predicting at least 50% precipitation every day for the next 15 days.

I'm not sure how they'll recover or what we might do for our hotel nights for pre- and post-cruise stays.  Should I be worried?  Any cruise on MSC out of Venice when it was flooded?

--Michael

11 hours ago, numberguy said:

The Weather Channel website says Venice is 85% underwater, and they're predicting at least 50% precipitation every day for the next 15 days.

I'm not sure how they'll recover or what we might do for our hotel nights for pre- and post-cruise stays.  Should I be worried?  Any cruise on MSC out of Venice when it was flooded?

--Michael

Given the problems cruise ships cause on a good day travelling into Venice i.e. waves of water dispersed, then yes I suggest you should worry! The local authorities may prevent ships from coming into Venice, so an alternative port may be the way MSC go....being an Italian line, they should have some kudos with the powers that be, and secure an alternative at short notice.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

The local authorities may prevent ships from coming into Venice, so an alternative port may be the way MSC go....being an Italian line, they should have some kudos with the powers that be, and secure an alternative at short notice.

They will not go to another city, but there is always the chance that the ship will dock at the ugly industrial port of Venice and you will tender to and from there. 

Even if they open the port and let the ship in there will be water on some of the old walkways. Some areas are higher with new sidewalks to make walking around easier. Drier. This is not a new problem - ongoing for years. This just happens to be the worst in years pas

I suggest wearing a cheap pair of runners you do not care if they get wet or taking a pair of rain boots.

I wore my runners and rinsed them out and put on balcony to dry after. Some were in bare feet - that worried me, that I would step on something and cut my foot,

The sidewalks around the inner canals were ok when I was there fall a couple of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

No cruise ships allowed in or out at present, all being rerouted to Trieste S mentioned above. I know from others that coaches are being laid on by MSC ago take any passengers to Trieste and back to Venice 

Yep, that's what happened, without any prior notice from MSC.  I went to the terminal to check in my bags, then they told us to get on a bus and we drove to Trieste.  Same but in reverse for disembarkation.

--Michael