Welcome to China. You can't buy anything tho

Balliett

We've cruised to China twice.  Our big independent adventure in Beijing was taking a taxi to a store we read about.  We had a friendly person in the hotel write out the chinese characters, and of course we had a card with our hotel address.  We paid the taxi in Chinese currency and the store purchases with credit card.  Maybe it's not possible to do that now.  An article in the 11-11-19 Wall Street Journal indicates the problem.  Almost everyone, even street vendors, gets paid by an app on your phone called QR.  It's linked to your bank.  That is if you have a Chinese bank.  The article describes a woman who couldn't buy toilet paper in a public restroom.  Of course organized tours will have a way around this issue.   Check it out.

.mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsi.wsj.net%2Fpublic%2Fresources%2Fimages%2FS1-EB286_CTOURI_D_20191108152529.jpg&t=1573713590&ymreqid=e12a24f9-f590-1e96-2f11-d80008010000&sig=99bqvNk.wuXnL3ClTN6jeQ--~C

• Like 1

The most popular apps used is either WePay or AliPay.

SWMBO had a mini reunion with her school buddies for lunch.  When it came time to pay she whipped out her Visa, but the waiterperson said they don't take Visa, MasterCard, Amex or any western credit cards as matter of fact.  Her BFF took out her phone and paid with WePay. 

SIL took us to a nice Japanese restaurant, 10% off if you use your phone app.

8 years ago at a shopping mall I was sitting on a bench (along with 6 other husbands) waiting for our respective SWMBOs to finish shopping.  It's 97 degrees and a nearby kiosk was selling ice cold Cokes,  I was short one coin and did without.  5 years later at the same mall, 96 degrees, I came prepared with lots of coin, and the kiosk was still selling ice cold Cokes.   NO CASH.  App payments only 🤬     

• 4 weeks later...

Can you only use the WePay or AliPay apps if you have a Chinese bank account?

If you're a visitor and they don't accept Visa or Mastercard and you can't pay with cash that's awkward for eating out!

We are staying for a few days pre cruise and wrongly assumed our credit cards would be accepted in restaurants.

So far you still need a Chinese bank account.  There's some talk about MasterCard or Visa hooking up with WePay, but that's all there is...talk. 

Businesses that caters to foriegn visitors, like globally branded hotels, will accept foriegn credit cards. It's just when you venture out of your hotel area you'll need to have cash.    

ATMs are abundant, just check with your home bank what debit card network they belong to and if there are any transaction fees.  We've been using the ATM for the past 2-3 trips.

Security Note:  If you're using an ATM make sure its at a bank location and not a stand alone unit in a mall or 7-11.  We only withdraw from ICBC, China Construction Bank,  Bank of China, or HSBC branches.   

Thanks Philob. Our only destination that we'll need to purchase anything will be China, food being the only consideration, although we may eat in the hotel after our anticipated exhausting travel/arrival day we generally prefer to eat out locally. I'll order some cash before we travel and we can top up from the ATM if required, thanks for the tip regarding the use of those.

Once the cruise is underway we don't usually really have a requirement to purchase anything but I'll have a CC if we do.

We have friends who recently came back from China.  They did not appear to have a problem using their credit cards at certain retail outlets. They were complaining about the exchange rates on their visa bills!  They were on a land trip/river cruise.

Edited by iancal

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 1:50 AM, Balliett said:

We paid the taxi in Chinese currency and the store purchases with credit card.  Maybe it's not possible to do that now.

Credit card may work in large cities, some large stores, certain restaurants, as may Apple Pay. Absolutely be on the safe side and have cash available. 

I didn't have any reason to try using a card in China because everything was prepaid and for shopping plus the only unscheduled stop we made–I strong-armed our guide into stopping at a jewelry factory so I could purchase an amber bracelet like he had–I used my RMB/yuan. 

While there are many more east-west corporate joint ventures in China now (the tariff war, wherever it's at, notwithstanding) that started small have become mammoth and the goods flow all over the world but, and China looks different, has a different image all over the world. BUT, a lot hasn't changed; the government.

What has not, and likely will not be reciprocal any time soon is the financial system between eastern/western countries. It is burdensome for the corporations doing big business, but there are systems in place for trading; this is why Hong Kong/Singapore are essential, easy conduits for the money. For everyone else, i.e., all of us, compare to how social media is barred like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (no Cruise Critic, etc; access via a VPN only) they have their own versions. It's kind of why the money doesn't mix.

Everyone can visit China and experience the truly fascinating and amazing culture, people, history, see the latest changes and how it familiar, modern it may be. A looks the same which is good, a lot looks different which is great, so much you don't ever want to see change, and some things haven't changed at all which is...harder to see.

Be sure to obtain RMB/Yuan when you arrive in China in the event a card you have, or your Apple pay, is not accepted. 

Edited by Host Bonjour

On 12/28/2019 at 1:19 AM, Host Bonjour said:

Credit card may work in large cities, some large stores, certain restaurants, as may Apple Pay. Absolutely be on the safe side and have cash available. 

I didn't have any reason to try using a card in China because everything was prepaid and for shopping plus the only unscheduled stop we made–I strong-armed our guide into stopping at a jewelry factory so I could purchase an amber bracelet like he had–I used my RMB/yuan. 

While there are many more east-west corporate joint ventures in China now (the tariff war, wherever it's at, notwithstanding) that started small have become mammoth and the goods flow all over the world but, and China looks different, has a different image all over the world. BUT, a lot hasn't changed; the government. Ever try to get RMB/Yuan from your bank? You cannot. 

What has not, and likely will not be reciprocal any time soon is the financial system between eastern/western countries. It is burdensome for the corporations doing big business, but there are systems in place for trading; this is why Hong Kong/Singapore are essential, easy conduits for the money. For everyone else, i.e., all of us, compare to how social media is barred like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (no Cruise Critic, etc; access via a VPN only) they have their own versions. It's kind of why the money doesn't mix.

Everyone can visit China and experience the truly fascinating and amazing culture, people, history, see the latest changes and how it familiar, modern it may be. A looks the same which is good, a lot looks different which is great, so much you don't ever want to see change, and some things haven't changed at all which is...harder to see.

Be sure to obtain RMB/Yuan when you arrive in China in the event a card you have, or your Apple pay, is not accepted. 

Yuan is easily bought here in the UK so I’m surprised you can’t get it 

Another source for USA residents before leaving ... check with the nearest AAA branch location/office with a travel department - popular foreign currencies are available, ordered for next day pickup (usually) - Monday to Saturday.  Not a member, ask a friend/neighbor that is, to help - we've done it.  (CAA for Canadian motorists/drivers w. active membership, I presume ...)

Another option, if you are near a major Chinatown, like SFO, LAX, ORD or NYC, etc. - check & ask some of the brick-n-mortar travel agencies that specialized in Asian/Chinese travel services ... sometimes, they can help & offer very good exchange rates.  

Just a suggestion that there are quite a few bank ATMs in China that will work fine with a western ATM card.  It is an easy way to get yuan and will get you a favorable exchange rate (unless your own bank nails you with fees).

Hank