Cruising Myths Debunked?

Georgia_Peaches

On 11/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, angie7911922 said:

True, but maybe us as passengers should also try to think positive. For the crew member to be working on a cruise ship, he/she can give their kids a good education and everything they would need. 

If I am on a cruise and I find out that my waiter or steward has children, I try to buy something on-shore, like a stuffed toy, just something small. 

Oh my, my reply really caught up. I need to clarify a little. I do leave money as  a tip. Always! (even if its included). I give to the crew that directly help me, like my cabin staff or regular waiter. And also to the general tips for crew.

And I also like to buy something small like a stuffed toy  or something small. (if I find out that they have small kids)  I know they have many passengers over the time period of a contract. But its the thought that counts. And I am almost 100% sure that presents are not given by every guest. 

Its just something I like to do, please do not judge me...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Giving solid, practical advice isn't IMO judging. Perhaps you never considered the downsides to a gift other than money.

9 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Oh my, my reply really caught up. I need to clarify a little. I do leave money as  a tip. Always! (even if its included). I give to the crew that directly help me, like my cabin staff or regular waiter. And also to the general tips for crew.

And I also like to buy something small like a stuffed toy  or something small. (if I find out that they have small kids)  I know they have many passengers over the time period of a contract. But its the thought that counts. And I am almost 100% sure that presents are not given by every guest. 

Your very kind and you only live 3 hours from me!    Enjoy cruising!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, chengkp75 said:

The BVE on Princess was only at limited turn around ports, and is no longer offered.

On Koningsdam, there was a performance of the official Mariners band that had 53 performers and 220 "outside" guests who reported that boarding the ship felt like an airport. It's not impossible. Bringing on board a few friends, then all the checks, and then making sure they disembarked timely is not that much trouble is it? What's your personal opinion? 

On 11/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, SRF said:

So expand this to the ship.  3000 cabins, each give a stuffed toy.  3000 per week.  12,000 per month.  WHERE does the crew store them??????

It would be like the tribbles...

Edited by melodyesch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

And I am almost 100% sure that presents are not given by every guest. 

But you don't know how many guest give items.  One has to remember that one, there is little room in their cabins and two, they can only take so much luggage on their flights home.  How do you know that they aren't just throwing away the stuff you give, because of lack of space, etc.  Why not give them a little cash and say "get your kids something with this".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Why not give them a little cash and say "get your kids something with this".

When each of our daughters and their husbands turned 40 we gave each of them some cash with the instruction that they must do something special with the money. And each of them did. I think your idea is a good one. I'd also wondered how much they can realistically carry home.  One checked bag? Two maybe?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

On Koningsdam, there was a performance of the official Mariners band that had 53 performers and 220 "outside" guests who reported that boarding the ship felt like an airport. It's not impossible. Bringing on board a few friends, then all the checks, and then making sure they disembarked timely is not that much trouble is it? What's your personal opinion? 

No, it's not impossible, but again it is a question of risk/reward.  Is the risk of a security incident and the cost of additional security, ID processing in advance (as all these scheduled guests must do), any additional insurance premium, worth the reward of possibly attracting customers who would otherwise not be customers?  I agree with the cruise lines, that the reward is not worth the time and effort.

• Thanks 2

On 11/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, wowzz said:

Also, the poor crew member has to fly back to be reunited with his/her family. I'm sure there are a thousand better things to put in their suitcase than some tacky stuffed toy, made in China.

Years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Astoria, Oregon. Oregon does not have a sales tax so lots of passengers and crew used the day ashore to go shopping. Waiting in line to reboard (the crew members had a separate line) I was amazed at what the crew bought and had to find room for on the ship or on the flight back home later. Giant containers of cheetos and other goodies from Costco. One crew member had a weed wacker which would never fit in any overhead compartment on a plane I know of.

So people, please don't tip extra with stuffed toys. They don't have room for that crap. Their space is already taken up with cheetos and weed wackers. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Giant containers of cheetos and other goodies from Costco.

Those get eaten. 😄

Weed Whacker is nothing, you should try flying EU to Africa.  AMAZING what things people check.

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

One crew member had a weed wacker which would never fit in any overhead compartment on a plane I know of.

It's pretty amazing what some people ship via cargo back home, or send as their checked baggage.  And sometimes it's not for them or their family to use back home, but for family members to sell back home.......I worked with one guy who bought and shipped home 6 gross of dress shirts he found at a liquidation sale.

34 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I worked with one guy who bought and shipped home 6 gross of dress shirts he found at a liquidation sale.

Darn, I really wish that you hadn't posted that story. 

I can see it now, another tipping thread; " Can I tip my cabin steward with the great deal I got on hockey pucks I got at the Black Friday Sale at National Sports?" 😉

Psst. They were a steal! And they make excellent drink coasters.🍺

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

It's pretty amazing what some people ship via cargo back home, or send as their checked baggage.  And sometimes it's not for them or their family to use back home, but for family members to sell back home.......I worked with one guy who bought and shipped home 6 gross of dress shirts he found at a liquidation sale.

It really is amazing, and kind of enterprising and happens more than we probably might think.  We know someone who routinely ships boxes of used stuff back to the home country.  Intended as merchandise to be sold.