Cruising Myths Debunked?

Georgia_Peaches

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

2. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work.  

Agreed; too often this is used to belittle anyone who complains about something experienced on a ship. It negates the unpleasant, irritating and sometimes downright terrible experiences of others.

Until you've been stuck in a 90 degree cabin on an older cruise ship with no air conditioning, no balcony, no way to get air other than a 6-inch fan provided by the cruise line and nothing from the cruise line other than a 'sorry we can't do anything for you', for a week, you may find it hard to believe that a bad day at sea can exist -- but it does.

(And P.S. that was my honeymoon. :classic_wacko:)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Agreed; too often this is used to belittle anyone who complains about something experienced on a ship. It negates the unpleasant, irritating and sometimes downright terrible experiences of others.

Until you've been stuck in a 90 degree cabin on an older cruise ship with no air conditioning, no balcony, no way to get air other than a 6-inch fan provided by the cruise line and nothing from the cruise line other than a 'sorry we can't do anything for you', for a week, you may find it hard to believe that a bad day at sea can exist -- but it does.

My first cruise was a cabin with a porthole and no air conditioning.However,I did not have air conditioning at home for a good portion of my life .We had a fan and that was a luxury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Exactly.  I wasn't talking about weather like some seemed to think.  It's about bad experiences.  People tend to say that, like you said, in response to people's complaints.  

Besides, I can think of a few thousand people on Costa Concordia who would have much rather been having a good day at work.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Eh. I've found my work good at times. But it's still not comparable to being on vacation without a care in the world. I vote for a bad vacation day is still better than a good work day. But I also can't say I've ever experienced a truly bad vacation day. I always try to find the good in things, so even if things seem to not be going right on vacation, there's still fun to be had. I might feel differently if I had been on that one cruise that got stuck at sea with no power for days while they got tug boated back in.

I would say my best days at work are better than my worst vacation days.

But IN GENERAL, any vacation day is better than work day.

And yes, I do enjoy my job and work, and even my boss.

• Like 1

"The crew loves to work on cruise ships"

this might be true for a few, but most work for the money. They are away from their family for months at the time and I am sure that is not their big dream. But they still are able to make sure you have a great time!! Kudos to them

• Like 3

1 hour ago, angie7911922 said:

They are away from their family for months at the time and I am sure that is not their big dream.

That's something that sometimes makes us feel bad when we are cruising with our daughter. You can tell that some crew members miss their kids when they see her.

Everyone can find something they like, not true:

We've taken a couple familes with us on what we thought would be a vacation they like, they both came back more sure cruising wasn't for them and no fun, LOL

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Everyone can find something they like, not true:

We've taken a couple familes with us on what we thought would be a vacation they like, they both came back more sure cruising wasn't for them and no fun, LOL

I've little doubt that one of our daughters and her husband would be in that group.  They're more the rock climbing, back country skiing, being off the grid type.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, clo said:

I've little doubt that one of our daughters and her husband would be in that group.  They're more the rock climbing, back country skiing, being off the grid type.

These were fun loving and liking fine dining, entertainment, they were very unimpressed with the set stage shows nor optional upgrade eating and to be honest the upsell eating and entertainment is very average compared to any medium sized US city, might be even below what you can find, but for value good, for quality terrible, so if you judge by that you could say you get better eats, experience, shows in almost any local hometown or nearby big city then on a ship, of course not the ports and value, but if value isn't part of the measurement totally agreed with them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

One of our daughters and her husband are into hiking,skiing and rock climbing.

The other one is into cruising and shipboard activities.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Have you heard this one: "The ships is so large you won't notice the motion".  

I fortunately do not suffer from motion sickness.   

Yep.  There was a time when I even said those words myself....until I was on a large ship (Allure of the Seas) and felt the motion very well one choppy evening.  Didn't get motion sick but could see how some might.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

That's something that sometimes makes us feel bad when we are cruising with our daughter. You can tell that some crew members miss their kids when they see her.

True, but maybe us as passengers should also try to think positive. For the crew member to be working on a cruise ship, he/she can give their kids a good education and everything they would need. 

If I am on a cruise and I find out that my waiter or steward has children, I try to buy something on-shore, like a stuffed toy, just something small. 

2 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

If I am on a cruise and I find out that my waiter or steward has children, I try to buy something on-shore, like a stuffed toy, just something small. 

Think if that catches on.  15 cabins, one cruise per week, 9 month contact (36 weeks), they will have 540 stuffed animals to store and get home. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

or if I cruise I'll get sea sick.

Well, that's not a myth......some people really will get seasick.  Regardless of the stabilizers, some people are just more sensitive than others.

The "newly wed or mostly dead" myth is the one I hear most often. 

• Like 1

When I was a teen, fifty 'something' years ago (my goodness !! Has it been THAT long !?) In any reference to those who cruised was..' ONLY the RICH and well heeled cruised and even wore tuxedos to go swimming in' (funny, now we've completely done the opposite, now a large segment consider 'dressing up for formal' too be a bath, NEW  jean cutoffs and their BEST NBA red basketball shoes.) New meaning to the term 'informal', I guess.

Mac

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Well, that's not a myth......some people really will get seasick.  Regardless of the stabilizers, some people are just more sensitive than others.

The "newly wed or mostly dead" myth is the one I hear most often. 

Yes, you are right.  I'm one of the lucky ones but I really feel for those who do experience sea sickness.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

Think if that catches on.  15 cabins, one cruise per week, 9 month contact (36 weeks), they will have 540 stuffed animals to store and get home. 😄

This^ And I read that sometimes there are four of them to a cabin.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:32 PM, Aquahound said:

I can think of a few thousand people on Costa Concordia who would have much rather been having a good day at work.  

:classic_ohmy: Any day at your normal job would have been better than Costa Concordia!  :classic_angry:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SRF said:

Excellent point.  I find that many well-meaning acts are shown to be injudicious by simply asking yourself, "what if everyone did it."

• Like 2