Cruising Myths Debunked?

Georgia_Peaches

21 hours ago, SRF said:

Think if that catches on.  15 cabins, one cruise per week, 9 month contact (36 weeks), they will have 540 stuffed animals to store and get home. 😄

Or, they'll have a lot to share and to give away again to others.   Don't not do something nice just because too much of a good thing wouldn't be a good thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Or, they'll have a lot to share and to give away again to others.   Don't not do something nice just because too much of a good thing wouldn't be a good thing. 

I would rather do something better (that shouldn't become a bad thing) rather than do something nice that could become a bad thing 😉 Giving the employee the cash you would have spent (plus a good review) should allow them to purchase what the child needs/wants rather than what we might think they would want. 

Most likely not every cabin will give something extra, but 500 $10 bonuses would likely be easier to store and transport (or even give away to others) than the same number of toys.  It will also allow the parent to choose what their child receives and have a part in picking it out.

The toy is a nice though, but it isn't necessarily the best option.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I would rather do something better (that shouldn't become a bad thing) rather than do something nice that could become a bad thing 😉 Giving the employee the cash you would have spent (plus a good review) should allow them to purchase what the child needs/wants rather than what we might think they would want. 

Most likely not every cabin will give something extra, but 500 $10 bonuses would likely be easier to store and transport (or even give away to others) than the same number of toys.  It will also allow the parent to choose what their child receives and have a part in picking it out.

The toy is a nice though, but it isn't necessarily the best option.

It isn't about helping the crew member, it is about the passenger feeling good about themself.

23 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It isn't about helping the crew member, it is about the passenger feeling good about themself.

Clearly there's a ton of that going around.  A few years ago I approached our two daughters who each have two kiddos and suggested that perhaps we'd been overdoing Christmas and what would they think if we gave each child one gift.  An exact quote from one: "music to my ears."

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 7:17 AM, calliopecruiser said:

So expand this to the ship.  3000 cabins, each give a stuffed toy.  3000 per week.  12,000 per month.  WHERE does the crew store them??????

On 11/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, Aquahound said:

These myths have more to do with what people say on these boards than the actual cruises, but I feel these are easily debunked:

1. Cruise lines are more alike than different.

2. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work.  

Actually I think your #1 is definitely a myth and #2 can be a myth for many folks.   Perhaps at one time (forty+ years ago) cruise lines were more alike then not!  But now that could not be further from the truth.  Yes, they all have ships upon the sea but. otherwise, there are many differences between lines and even ships.  Compare a 450 passenger Seabourn vessel to a 6000 passenger ship!  Yes, they both have food, entertainment, and plumbing.  I would agree that there are many similarities between some mass market lines, but differences are very common.  That is why DW and I prefer to cruise on many different lines (and size ships) because we seek variety.

As to "bad days at sea" we have met quite a few folks who found themselves truly disliking being a ship.  For these folks nearly every day aboard is awful and they cannot wait to disembark (and will not likely take more cruises).  Many cruise lovers (we certainly fall into that category) seem convinced that everyone else will also love cruising.  But the cruise life is not for everyone! We have some of those folks in our own family.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRF said:

So expand this to the ship.  3000 cabins, each give a stuffed toy.  3000 per week.  12,000 per month.  WHERE does the crew store them??????

Not too mention would the kids want a hundred versions of the same toy? If people are going to give a gift make it thoughtful and individual not a one size fits all cheap off the shelf convenience to yourself. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not too mention would the kids want a hundred versions of the same toy? If people are going to give a gift make it thoughtful and individual not a one size fits all cheap off the shelf convenience to yourself. 

Also, the poor crew member has to fly back to be reunited with his/her family. I'm sure there are a thousand better things to put in their suitcase than some tacky stuffed toy, made in China.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Many cruise lovers (we certainly fall into that category) seem convinced that everyone else will also love cruising.  But the cruise life is not for everyone! We have some of those folks in our own family.

Hank

I can totally see why someone would think cruising is not for them. The ridiculously small time allowed in port, being confined to the ship, maybe seasickness. The only way to show how great a cruise is would be a very short cruise as you usually can't even show the ship to a non-cruiser in port. Unfortunately for me, cruises around Holland are always at least seven days, and nobody wants "a taste of cruising" when it involves 7 days, costing more than any previous vacation, and they are expecting a miserable time already.

While some will never like cruising, there are many "evangelists" like me who'd be more than happy to increase the customer base. If I were the boss, every couple would get to invite 2 to 4 people people to show them the ship and cabin before sailaway, and would throw in a spectacular lunch with live music and free martinis. Total cost: maybe 25 dollar per invitee including all the extra safety stuff that wouldn't be there in 1984 when showing friends around was not an absurd thing.

I'm convinced a volunteer ambassador for the cruise line, who personally knows the people he's luring to the ship as he's looking for new cruise mates, is a way much better investment than any ad on TV.

4 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I can totally see why someone would think cruising is not for them. The ridiculously small time allowed in port, being confined to the ship, maybe seasickness. The only way to show how great a cruise is would be a very short cruise as you usually can't even show the ship to a non-cruiser in port. Unfortunately for me, cruises around Holland are always at least seven days, and nobody wants "a taste of cruising" when it involves 7 days, costing more than any previous vacation, and they are expecting a miserable time already.

While some will never like cruising, there are many "evangelists" like me who'd be more than happy to increase the customer base. If I were the boss, every couple would get to invite 2 to 4 people people to show them the ship and cabin before sailaway, and would throw in a spectacular lunch with live music and free martinis. Total cost: maybe 25 dollar per invitee including all the extra safety stuff that wouldn't be there in 1984 when showing friends around was not an absurd thing.

I'm convinced a volunteer ambassador for the cruise line, who personally knows the people he's luring to the ship as he's looking for new cruise mates, is a way much better investment than any ad on TV.

You know, in the good old days a passenger could invite guests on board during the embarkation day.  I recall being invited by my wife's aunt.  We had to suit up.  Ate in a fancy buffet.  This was back in the 70's.  

On 11/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

Another myth: you do nothing but eat/you will gain lots of weight. 

Sure, you can get food at any time if you seek it out. But if you stick to mealtimes, and order mindfully, you eat no more than you would at home. I rarely gain weight on a cruise, and sometimes have lost a pound or two. And, believe me, I'm not one of those people who never gains weight.  

I tried so hard to prove you wrong on my last cruise.

I intended to eat everything at every opportunity. I quickly realised that eating a buffet breakfast big enough for 4 adults meant I wasnt hungry for the rest of the day. And I missed out on what looked like delightful treats.

By day 4 I calmed down and cut down breakfast, but still wasnt hungry during the day.

19 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

But it is not about the gift, it is about letting the giver feel good about themself, as they patronize the crew member and treat them as a child.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I'm old enough to remember when people could invite folks onto the ship to see them off.  The first time I was ever on a cruise ship was about 50 years ago when the whole extended family came on board to see my aunt and uncle off on a cruise.  And the "All ashore who are going ashore" call.  Alas, I was one of them.  But the ship sailing was just like the old Love Boat scenes of the people on shore waving away the passengers who were all lined up by the rail waving back.

One of the nice aspects of my recent American Queen cruise down the Mississippi was that at several ports some pax had family living nearby who could come onto the boat and share the day in port.  Especially cute were the little ones who were visiting Grand (or great grand) parents.  They would be  all dressed up and very well behaved.  I felt that it added a real charm to those days.  

19 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Princess cruise line (perhaps others) allowed something like this as recently as 2 years ago when we sailed.  It was limited to certain embarkation ports, but I think it was around $35 pp to board, have a MDR lunch, and explore the ship.  I think it was about a 4 hour experience (11-3 maybe) and guests were required to have the same identification documents as any other passenger.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:29 AM, angie7911922 said:

True, but maybe us as passengers should also try to think positive. For the crew member to be working on a cruise ship, he/she can give their kids a good education and everything they would need. 

If I am on a cruise and I find out that my waiter or steward has children, I try to buy something on-shore, like a stuffed toy, just something small. 

What do you think the crew member is going to do w all those cheap worthless stuffed toys that he or she is going to end up with at the end of your contract.  Maybe you are suggesting that he ship the stuff back home when his cabin gets to be full of toys.  Are you suggesting that they can't afford to buy stuffed toys or some other cheap toy for their kids back home.

I would suggest that you have not clearly thought through your idea.

DON

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

You know, in the good old days a passenger could invite guests on board during the embarkation day.  I recall being invited by my wife's aunt.  We had to suit up.  Ate in a fancy buffet.  This was back in the 70's.  

Not only could you invite people on the ship but there also were Bon Voyage celebrations by people watching the ship in harbor preparing to sail.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not only could you invite people on the ship but there also were Bon Voyage celebrations by people watching the ship in harbor preparing to sail.

Thank you! I couldn't remember the name of the Princess program.  It is BVE: Bon Voyage Experience.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Princess cruise line (perhaps others) allowed something like this as recently as 2 years ago when we sailed.  It was limited to certain embarkation ports, but I think it was around $35 pp to board, have a MDR lunch, and explore the ship.  I think it was about a 4 hour experience (11-3 maybe) and guests were required to have the same identification documents as any other passenger.

I asked X and HAL, and the answer was No. But I'm glad that other lines do allow it.

I wonder how many decide to give cruising a try after such a visit to a ship, and wouldn't be cruising the next year anyway. The Excel sheets must show very low percentages. $35 is probably cost plus a mark up, as if it's just a service. But in reality, it's a test drive for potential customers, guided by the best salesmen the lines could think of. I've never paid for a test drive.

Everyone inviting someone to see the ship is going to brag about it, and they aren't a random car dealer but a good friend or family member. No ads on TV or Internet can beat that. I hope that I'll be able to show my friends around on my next cruise.

8 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I asked X and HAL, and the answer was No. But I'm glad that other lines do allow it.

I wonder how many decide to give cruising a try after such a visit to a ship, and wouldn't be cruising the next year anyway. The Excel sheets must show very low percentages. $35 is probably cost plus a mark up, as if it's just a service. But in reality, it's a test drive for potential customers, guided by the best salesmen the lines could think of. I've never paid for a test drive.

Everyone inviting someone to see the ship is going to brag about it, and they aren't a random car dealer but a good friend or family member. No ads on TV or Internet can beat that. I hope that I'll be able to show my friends around on my next cruise.

The BVE on Princess was only at limited turn around ports, and is no longer offered.

• Thanks 2

On 11/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, pacruise804 said:

I would rather do something better (that shouldn't become a bad thing) rather than do something nice that could become a bad thing 😉 

And that's just fine.

Do whatever you think is a good thing to do..........And let others likewise do what they think is a good thing to do.

That was my point.

• Like 1

It's funny that in a thread of debunking myth's, it is slewn with a bunch of other myths.

The only thing I can say for certain is that you will get different opinions of everything, depending on who you ask. One person will tell you the cruise was all old people. The next will say it was like a frat party. One will say the food was inedible. One will say it was great. One will say it was boring. The next had a blast.

I stayed away from cruising for years because the consensus I heard was that the ships were dirty, boring, food sucked, nothing to do, etc. I decided to bite the bullet and experience it for myself. It was far from all of those things. Every moment of cruising is not perfect, but where is it so? It's best to stay away from opinions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It's funny that in a thread of debunking myth's, it is slewn with a bunch of other myths.

The only thing I can say for certain is that you will get different opinions of everything, depending on who you ask. One person will tell you the cruise was all old people. The next will say it was like a frat party. One will say the food was inedible. One will say it was great. One will say it was boring. The next had a blast.

Those aren’t myths. Those are personal experiences. There’s a bit of a difference. 

On 11/19/2019 at 3:14 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Now that we're giving the grands just one toy I put a lot more thought into it. I honestly don't know how one could give a toy with any particular chance of being really liked when you don't know the child...or really even the parent.

• Like 1