Great beach exciting ride cane garden bay beach. $8 open cab ride

cementhands

We enjoyed a wonderful experience in Tortola recently. Got off ship and walked to end of pier area for an open air big cab truck ride to garden cane bay beach. $8 each way pp USA dollar. You have to wait until vehicle full. Exciting ride up over the hills to other side. $20 for 2 hchairs and umbrellas. Clean bathrooms. $20 for a bucket of 6 red stripe beer. Nice beach and gentle waves.
Live music from pussers bar but we enjoyed it from the water. We enjoyed a spot near by but cheaper.

Last visit to tortilla was 20 years ago and enjoyed the new construction. Port is going to be expanded. Great island and can’t wait to return. A new favorite place!

D490D803-5AA4-4EAC-BE74-8F3D1ADA64B6.jpeg

85103385-BBA2-4969-AE92-9916CDB31643.jpeg

6DA98DE1-C5F2-45FB-A7B2-27E4C7C33CA2.jpeg

B441784D-5FE1-419D-A6A6-6EB5CAD735CC.jpeg

366B25D4-9D7D-412F-944B-A22E53F68F77.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for this review. I'm trying to decide between Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay. This makes me think I should go to Cane Garden Bay.

Are there constant taxis to CGB? I don't want to have to arrange a ride ahead of time, I want to be able to leave whenever we decide. Thanks

Edited by thewynn
added question

Taxi is just $8/pp each way to both beaches and taxis will be there to return you to your ship.

Brewers is one of the most gorgeous beaches in the VI's and has that old Carib feel. Nicole's beach bar serves food and drinks and has a restroom.

Cane Garden Bay is also beautiful, just a much larger bay with several restaurants where the majority of your fellow cruisers will go. 

So whatever vibe sounds good to you! If you prefer a bit more amenities over natural beauty CGB may be the better choice...

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Brewers, gorgeous beach with that “old Carib” feel. But with a ship in port you will most likely be sharing the beach with fellow cruisers because it is one of the two most popular beaches. But definitely a good choice if you prefer fewer people over more amenities...

Edited by blue_water

On 11/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, blue_water said:

Taxi is just $8/pp each way to both beaches and taxis will be there to return you to your ship.

Brewers is one of the most gorgeous beaches in the VI's and has that old Carib feel. Nicole's beach bar serves food and drinks and has a restroom.

Cane Garden Bay is also beautiful, just a much larger bay with several restaurants where the majority of your fellow cruisers will go. 

So whatever vibe sounds good to you! If you prefer a bit more amenities over natural beauty CGB may be the better choice...

Thank you, Blue_Water for the generosity of your responses.  Silly question - is tipping of taxi drivers customary?  Would you expect the same driver to return you to the ship at either of these beaches, or would it be just as easy to take any waiting cab back to the pier?

Also - I see Finger Lakes as part of your location.  Near and dear to my heart! 

Yes tipping is appreciated as long as you enjoyed the service, I’d give $2 each way, most folks would never consider tipping of course. Brewers does offer decent snorkeling, and your driver will probably tell you he/she will return. Otherwise another taxi or two normally stop in.

CGB has a much busier vibe as several large safari taxis unload a lot of passengers. I’m told there is some snorkeling along the left (west) shore further out. But Brewers would be the better choice and is a much nicer experience IMHO...

Yes I see your location there, looks like a beautiful area to live!

On 12/5/2019 at 9:58 AM, blue_water said:

Yes tipping is appreciated as long as you enjoyed the service, I’d give $2 each way, most folks would never consider tipping of course. Brewers does offer decent snorkeling, and your driver will probably tell you he/she will return. Otherwise another taxi or two normally stop in.

CGB has a much busier vibe as several large safari taxis unload a lot of passengers. I’m told there is some snorkeling along the left (west) shore further out. But Brewers would be the better choice and is a much nicer experience IMHO...

Yes I see your location there, looks like a beautiful area to live!

Thank you for the courtesy of your response.  It's always a bit daunting to go somewhere new, and it feels a whole lot less daunting with the guidance of one who knows.

Your two suggestions for beaches are excellent.  One last choice I'm considering is the cruise excursion to Long Bay Beach.  I have an excursion credit, so the transportation through the ship won't cost me much more than a local taxi.  I'd love to hear your thoughts about that beach, so that I can settle in on a choice.

I'm not looking for a party vibe, I can do plenty of drinking on the ship.  I like peacefulness and safety, knowing I have a ride back, and some snorkeling would be a plus.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and your time.

Yes the ships are offering excursions to Long Bay, Beef Island now. It is a gorgeous beach that we would go to to get away from the crowds when we stayed in CGB and ships were in port. So you t is a good choice and sounds like it would be a nice beach day for you! No idea what amenities they’ve added but it looks like lounges, at least for excursions through the ship.

Happy to share our experiences, “Tortola land” is my favorite place to visit!