Costa Maya Nice Resort for the Day

bunny7

57 minutes ago, bunny7 said:

Have cruised 20+ times but Never been to Costa Maya.  Would love to buy a day pass at an upscale resort.  Any recommendations?  Thank you in advance!!!

“Upscale” is subjective and IMO there aren’t any upscale resorts from Costa Maya. 

“Better” resorts regularly suggested on this board include Jamies at Blue Reef, Maya Chan, Almaplena. Google for websites for all of them.  Scroll down a page or two of this board to see many regularly reviewed beach clubs, both AI and PAYG to see if any appeal to you.

Maya Chan, offers a good value day at a “nice” resort, but it is by no means “upscale”. It is one of the few places that offers a pool (other than the port itself), albeit small. The pool was originally designated Adult-only but I have read reports of kids allowed in, if this is important.

Edited by c-leg5

Costa Maya  is fairly rustic, even for land vacationers.

Mahahual where beach clubs are located was primarily a fishing village that got built up to service divers coming in for the great offshore  reefs. A hurricane in 05 destroyed much of the area. You can still see damage at the port and along the shoreline. But area has rebuilt. 

Would agree with C-leg 5 that Maya Chan is a good place.  AI, limited guests.  

I'm leaving in 6 days  and earlier this week I decided to check on availability of Maya Chan.... Didn't expect them to have room...but to my surprise they did. Been very impressed with their communication and organization (documentation, directions, etc). Looking forward to spending our day there!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Availability depends a lot on how many ships are in port.

Maya Chan has always been known for great customer service. 

Enjoy your day there.

Great point... I checked and we are only ship in Port that day. Totally makes sense now!  Thanks

On 11/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, lcpagejr said:

Great point... I checked and we are only ship in Port that day. Totally makes sense now!  Thanks

i'm interested to see the condition of the water and beach. can you share photos when you go/return?

Maya Chan was booked for our date in February by a single group. It's a shame because I love that place. We made reservations for Almaplena, which is several miles further. Will post photos and a review when we return.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, LSKC said:

i'm interested to see the condition of the water and beach. can you share photos when you go/return?

At Maya Chan today and no seaweed at all.  Water is a bit murky like always but really nice day.

There isn't a better beach day in the Caribbean than Maya Chan, so anyone looking in Costa Maya, this is an easy decision.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, BNBR said:

At Maya Chan today and no seaweed at all.  Water is a bit murky like always but really nice day.

There isn't a better beach day in the Caribbean than Maya Chan, so anyone looking in Costa Maya, this is an easy decision.

Totally agree... We visited Maya Chan this past Monday (11/25)..... Wonderful experience !!!

1 hour ago, Single_dreamer said:

How far and how long was the drive from the port to Maya Chan? Traveling solo and trying to decide on beach day or just going to Mahahual by taxi. I hear taxis are $2.50 each way. 

We just booked Maya Chan.  Day pass includes transportation to and from Maya Chan.  It is about 4 miles away. Cost is $59.95 pp. Check their web site

5 hours ago, Single_dreamer said:

How far and how long was the drive from the port to Maya Chan? Traveling solo and trying to decide on beach day or just going to Mahahual by taxi. I hear taxis are $2.50 each way. 

taxis are $8 per taxi to Mahahual for up to 4 people each way, so best if you can find someone to share with at the taxi dispatch. You can pay a single trolley fare ( I think $3) TO Mahahual but you need to get a taxi back to the port. It takes about 5 minutes.

As explained above, transport to Maya Chan is included in the day pass but you need to walk outside the port and along the road some distance to the taxi meeting point for it. This is not dangerous but is a problem for anyone with mobility problems as it is already a long walk from the ship along the pier and through the port. The taxi ride to Maya Chan is a good 20 minutes, depending on the state of the road, which is unpaved after the malecon of Mahahual. You will be in a group van traveling with other cruisers to Maya Chan.

Edited by c-leg5

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

taxis are $8 per taxi to Mahahual for up to 4 people each way, so best if you can find someone to share with at the taxi dispatch. You can pay a single trolley fare ( I think $3) TO Mahahual but you need to get a taxi back to the port. It takes about 5 minutes.

As explained above, transport to Maya Chan is included in the day pass but you need to walk outside the port and along the road some distance to the taxi meeting point for it. This is not dangerous but is a problem for anyone with mobility problems as it is already a long walk from the ship along the pier and through the port. The taxi ride to Maya Chan is a good 20 minutes, depending on the state of the road, which is unpaved after the malecon of Mahahual. You will be in a group van traveling with other cruisers to Maya Chan.

Google maps shows Maya Chan about 30 minutes from the port. Others have reported that it is a long drive. I think I will try to get to the Malecon - maybe Jaime's at Blue Reef, Krazy Lobster or Tropicante. Jaime's says she has an all inclusive, but I'm re-thinking my plan since I don't drink. I may not want to over-pay for a day out - but don't want to simply stay at the port. 

2 hours ago, Single_dreamer said:

Google maps shows Maya Chan about 30 minutes from the port. Others have reported that it is a long drive. I think I will try to get to the Malecon - maybe Jaime's at Blue Reef, Krazy Lobster or Tropicante. Jaime's says she has an all inclusive, but I'm re-thinking my plan since I don't drink. I may not want to over-pay for a day out - but don't want to simply stay at the port. 

Maya Chan feels a long way because of the road conditions,  not necessarily the distance.

I would recommend Tropicante for good, safe service and food. Be advised that bars along the malecon are shoulder to shoulder, often only separated by a rope or change of lounger colours. Be careful  not  to end up at El Faro next door - check waiters logo and the menu you are given.

We are going to try the new beach club at Malecon21 next week that requires $15 minimum purchase  for lounger. It is south of Tropicante.

Edited by c-leg5

On 12/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, indie said:

Third, was at Maya Chan 11/26. Best service and food ever for an all inclusive beach day and water was fine, just murky. No seaweed issues. Beautiful day and place.

Funny, I guess we probably saw each other and didn't know it 😂

On 12/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, c-leg5 said:

On 12/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, c-leg5 said:

We are going to try the new beach club at Malecon21 next week that requires $15 minimum purchase  for lounger. It is south of Tropicante

@c-leg5.

thanks for the heads up about Malecon5, I emailed and received  a super fast response .   Hope you enjoy your time there.   Would you mind following up with your feedback after your visit.

We we are not familiar with the area so any taxi or direction tips would also very much be appreciated. 

Went to malecon 21 a few weeks ago. Didn't go to the beach so don't know about the min purchase requirement. My wife and I stayed at the main bldg. Laid back many and comfy seating areas reasonable menu.  Had 4 beers and the total was $14 including tip. There was a group of euro college kids there that were studying, looked at their laptops, they will be there for another month or so. One was an architectural student and was working on a bldg design. 

Great place away from the busy area in central Malecon.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, BNBR said:

The water there is murky? Don't they offer snorkeling? We are looking for a resort to go to where we can snorkel right off the beach. Is this not the place for us?

1 minute ago, dopey1200 said:

The water there is murky? Don't they offer snorkeling? We are looking for a resort to go to where we can snorkel right off the beach. Is this not the place for us?

It's murky right at the beach and clears up quickly 100 yards out or so.  You would need to swim out a bit to snorkel.  Or take a kayak out.  I'd recommend emailing them and asking and be specific that it's important to you.  I did see people go out and snorkel but haven't done it there myself.  They are super helpful, just ask before hand and see if it's right for you.