Stateroom soot.

Belfastman

Currently on Riviera staying in a veranda stateroom. This morning we got up to be greeted by a quantity of soot on the cloth they put by the bed in the eevening. Had anyone else experienced this and what causes it? Staff appear not to know or won't say.

inside the cabin?? 😲

Very unusual  I would think

I have read that some in the  aft cabins get soot on the balcony but never hear of it in the cabin

Hope someone is coming to check the cabin out & find the source

Perhaps not soot per say. Air ventilation systems often build up a dark dust and grit deposit. Sometimes those deposits can be uncharacteristically disturbed leaving a significant deposit of soot like materials through out the area. Unfortunately this happens frequently in large office buildings. Ships would be no exception.

We bought a fairly new home a few years back. It had been well maintained and was very clean. We had a company come in and totally clean out the ventilation systems and air ducts. You wouldn’t believe the huge amount of gunk that came out of those ducts going all the way back to the time it was built! You probably wouldn’t want to see the insides of those ship’s air distribution systems, especially the older R ships with all their refurbishments!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

inside the cabin?? 😲

Very unusual  I would think

I have read that some in the  aft cabins get soot on the balcony but never hear of it in the cabin

Hope someone is coming to check the cabin out & find the source

It was inside the cabin next to the bed. No-one has come back to tell us anything yet (6 hours later). 

4 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Reception would not permit us contact with GM insisted that we deal with housekeeping. We spoke to Head housekeeper who simply apologised but could not tell us anything more.

Who is the GM?

If it happens again  go to the Concierge  & see if he can get an appt with the  GM

I usually do not have a problem speaking to  the GM when needed  actually a couple of them are usually out walking around the  decks/public spaces  so you can just  stop them & mention the issue

Certainly mention it in the comment cards

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

The GM is Marck Warmenhoven. We are getting of the ship now so will email Miami with this and another issue.

That explains  things

If you have  a TA I would  send them your comment to forward on  to O

JMO

20 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Cabin 7119 B3 extended balcony.

a consideration.  This is an aft stateroom below the ship's stacks, if the balcony door is open (and especially when the stateroom passageway door opens creating an inward sucking draft) and the ship's stacks or a nearby ship's stacks are blown, the wind is just right, that soot from the stacks could come right down to the balcony area below the ship's stacks..

From my US Navy experiences and now living on the main waterway for Puget Sound, WA shipping- you can see huge amount of smoke and particles put out by the ships.  They are not supposed to "blow their stacks" within a certain distance of the cities, but....  you should see the layer of brown pollution on certain days when the wind and atmospheric pressure presents just the right conditions.

26 minutes ago, arima22 said:

a consideration.  This is an aft stateroom below the ship's stacks, if the balcony door is open (and especially when the stateroom passageway door opens creating an inward sucking draft) and the ship's stacks or a nearby ship's stacks are blown, the wind is just right, that soot from the stacks could come right down to the balcony area below the ship's stacks..

The cabin is not an aft  cabin  it  is mid ship aft quarter  or what every Navy term you want to use

image.thumb.png.9ae83b352ae6cc0cafca41365798eee2.png

5 minutes ago, arima22 said:

It is not aft facing but It is considered an aft cabin, not mid ship aft quarter.  In any case, the cabin is below the stacks.

Whatever it is  called  hopefully  the OP did not have the balcony door open in the night 

just saying

19 hours ago, arima22 said:

From my US Navy experiences and now living on the main waterway for Puget Sound, WA shipping- you can see huge amount of smoke and particles put out by the ships.  They are not supposed to "blow their stacks" within a certain distance of the cities, but....  you should see the layer of brown pollution on certain days when the wind and atmospheric pressure presents just the right conditions.

This is not from "blowing tubes", as boilers on ships these days are merely small auxiliary boilers used for heating, and don't get blown on a daily basis.  What you are seeing is when the main diesel engine starts (it is directly connected to the propeller, so when the propeller stops the engine stops) or when it is suddenly accelerated, much like you see when a truck starts up from a stop light.

Interesting:  we will be on Marina 7123 and 7119 in January, will have to watch out for this phenomena.  In all 8 past cruises, this will be the most aft we’ve been.  Booked them for the extended balcony - we are going through the P canal.

I agree with the comments by chengkp75, but the soot is inside from what I can gather.  Unless the slider was open just as some soot was coming down, it is a bit of a mystery.  It is possible that they were cleaning the cabin and had the slider open at an inopportune moment and some soot blew in.  Still, it would have been on the chairs and table as well if that were the case.