Corfu - 8 ships in port! Will it be a nightmare?

lisa6191

I like to check the cruise port calendar when I am planning cruises, just to see how many ships will be in port at the same time. On the Greek Islands cruise I am considering with Seabourn, there will be 8 ships in port the day we are in Corfu! Most are smaller ships but there is a Costa ship and an NCL ship in there too, with over 6000 guests between them. And this is in October, which I picked because it was off season and would be less crowded. Is there any way this isn't just a complete nightmare? Is there even room at the dock for that many ships? It's not listed as a tender port on the itinerary. I don't see any other dates with that many ships listed, the most is usually 5 and most only have 2 or 3.

The good news is that I looked at the port times and our ship would be the first due to dock. If we get there first and get off quickly hopefully we can beat the rush. We are also there much later than everyone else (11pm) so the evening should be lovely.  I have to imagine the port wouldn't schedule more than they could handle. Also, in October maybe these ships won't be sailing at full capacity? I can hope, anyway. 🙂

It might depend where in Corfu you plan to go.

We spent a week in Corfu this past September.  We could see four ships in port on the day we went into Corfu  old town.  It was  a zoo...so busy we left after a little while and returned the following day when there was only one or two ships in port.  Huge difference. Both times in the afternoon.

Edited by iancal

Agree, I'd avoid Corfu Town unless you can get there early (but things will be closed?) or late?  I've been there off-season with only a couple of ships plus my usual small ship (350 pax) and the town was crawling with people. 

There are other things on the island to see. 

Or be adventurous and hop a ferry across to Sarande, Albania and tour the Roman ruins at Butrint -- very picturesque. You'll need to take your passport though as you are leaving the EU. (Albania expects to join EU in 2020 or thereabouts...)