Fixed wing flight - which island/ port is best for this? pls help. Thx!

Cruiznuts

We are a family of five looking to have one fixed wing flight experience (less costly than a chopper), during our 7 days on POA.

The ports we are considering this for include: Hilo, Kona or Kauai. 

We do overnight in Kauai, so it might me nice to fly on our second day, before sailing out at 2pm. 

Having said that, if the other ports would give us more spectacular scenery, that would be great to know.

Any thoughts on the best spot to fly from/over?

Many thanks! 

I agree with your Kauai plan based on your itinerary, but did want to point out that one of the best fixed wing experiences in all of Hawaii is actually a regularly scheduled commercial flight with Mokulele Airlines on one of their Cessna Caravans. Takes off from Kapalua on Maui and flys to Honolulu but you fly past the north shore of Molokai which is just spectacular with cliffs, waterfalls, etc. You could turn on the soundtrack to Jurassic Park. 

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I agree with your Kauai plan based on your itinerary, but did want to point out that one of the best fixed wing experiences in all of Hawaii is actually a regularly scheduled commercial flight with Mokulele Airlines on one of their Cessna Caravans. Takes off from Kapalua on Maui and flys to Honolulu but you fly past the north shore of Molokai which is just spectacular with cliffs, waterfalls, etc. You could turn on the soundtrack to Jurassic Park. 

Thanks for your kind reply! 

We are spending time in Maui prior to the cruise and are flying Kapalua to HNL on Hawaiian …. now we have something else to look forward to! 

Do you have a flight group on Kauai that you like?

Best! 

4 minutes ago, Cruiznuts said:

We are spending time in Maui prior to the cruise and are flying Kapalua to HNL on Hawaiian …. now we have something else to look forward to!

Have bad news on that one-- Hawaiian operates a part freighter/passenger plane on that route-- an ATR 42-500-- and you fly much too high and fast to see anything. 

The one to fly between Kapalua and Honolulu is Mokulele Airlines which uses small Cessna Caravans which fly eye level with the cliffs. 

I just did Wings over Kauai on Friday morning last week, we took the 9:30 am flight, then had lunch at Duke's on Kalapaki beach.  

It was spectacular.  My eyes actually welled up with tears several times.  Our pictures are incredible.  The flight was so smooth, it was perfect. 

The airvan holds 6 plus the pilot so our family of six had the entire plane.  The other great thing is everyone has a window seat.

Edited by Beachiekeen