Cruise Critic Community
AndyB

How much HUF and EUR do I need? Budapest->Nuremberg

Arriving one day prior to cruise departing Budapest (transfers already purchased).  Departure day and following day are Budapest excursions.  Should $100 worth be enough, assuming purchases by credit card wherever possible?

The remainder of the cruise is in Euroland, also assuming purchases by card whenever possible - thinking $300 worth.  Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any feedback - I'm 20 days away from my cruise - so excited!!

OK.

If you run short you can always get to an ATM, plenty of them about. There are apps that show the nearest ones.

Have a great cruise.

13 hours ago, AndyB said:

Arriving one day prior to cruise departing Budapest (transfers already purchased).  Departure day and following day are Budapest excursions.  Should $100 worth be enough, assuming purchases by credit card wherever possible?

The remainder of the cruise is in Euroland, also assuming purchases by card whenever possible - thinking $300 worth.  Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like an ample amount to me.

We cruised Vilshofen to Budapest. We arrived Munich and utilized our stash of euros we already had on hand (we never cash in our euros - just save them for our next trip).We  arrived in Budapest via cruise with no HUF and used an ATM to get our cash.  As stated above, ATMs are plentiful and give us the best rate of exchange. 

BTW - credit cards are widely accepted.

I agree with using ATMs.  In fact, I found at least 1 ATM in Budapest that dispenses both HUFs & Euros.

Fran

Just be careful when using ATMs. In the last few years there has been a marked increase in banks offering dynamic currency conversion when using ATMs.

For years, when I've paid for stuff by CC in Europe, you often get the option to pay in Euros or in Dollars. The "pay in dollars" option is almost always at a very poor conversion rate. So obviously, you would choose to pay in the local currency and let the bank convert. I always check my receipts against my CC statement and the exchange rate is almost always within 1%. 

ATMs are now offering this option. Be careful to reject it. They are getting sneaky. Read the screens carefully! I used ATMs 3x last week in Portugal and Lisbon. Each time, I was asked whether I wanted to withdraw xxx Euros, or xxx Dollars. The offered dollar rate was almost $1.20 to the Euro, and the Euro was running about $1.10 last week, so the exchange was about a 9% surcharge! Crazy. The last bank I used (Satander) had the options very obscured, and it was really hard to tell that the two options were for DCC vs. not, even in the English screens.

The reason I'm putting this here is that the first time I ran into this at an ATM was in Budapest, in April 2016. And I missed it, so I paid a few % extra for my HUFs.

We used an ATM in Budapest's Castle area and got euros. They are accepted widely in Budapest. I was admiring a porcelain pendant at the souvenir store next to Starbucks- it was 75 euro cash but an upcharge if we paid by c.c.

I passed and luckily found the identical piece at the Great Market for 16 euro less and payment by c.c. at that price!

We did find that on our pre-cruise land trip in Germany, credit cards were not accepted in most of the restaurants we chose. Even one in the heart of Frankfurt!

Be sure to get change for euro bills into euro coins. Toilets are usually "pee for a fee" & range from .50 to .70 to a euro. Plus having smaller bills helps for tipping guides, etc.

We just got back from Budapest last week. We did use the local currency. Used it for taxis, some of the stands in the Great  Market, some of the stands in the Christmas markets, , and tips. There are ATMs and currency exchange booths in many places.

11 hours ago, PhilbeachTraveller said:

Just got back from Budapest. Didn't need any cash whatsoever as every place accepted cards. 

We were there for almost a week in late October and I agree that most places did accept cards.  There were a few things though, such as some market stalls in the Central Market that were cash only.

The big one was a restaurant that I really wanted to go to on our last night.  We had booked before leaving Australia and had spent virtually all of our cash, and didn't want to withdraw more because you lose so much if there is any left.  The restaurant texted me to say that they didn't take credit cards.  We had to get the hotel to find us somewhere else.  Luckily they did and it was fantastic.  Funnily enough when I cancelled our original booking they suggested we could eat and transfer the money when we got home to Australia!  It all seemed a little dodgy to me.

Cash is definitely needed however.  Even our airport/station transfers were cash only.

5 hours ago, djh1959 said:

Funnily enough when I cancelled our original booking they suggested we could eat and transfer the money when we got home to Australia!  It all seemed a little dodgy to me.

Yes, that does seem rather strange. Happy to hear that your second choice was fantastic.

We also needed some cash in Budapest but very little as most accepted plastic or euros.