Are Pepsi products coming to HAL?

expectGREATthings

I saw that news story, and they specifically said the switch from Coke to Pepsi would be on the "25+ Carnival ships in their fleet".    They did not mention Princess, HAL, Costa, etc.

If you are on a Carnival ship and order a Rum & Coke, what do you get ?   

I guess Pepsi came up with a better deal for fleet wide supplying of beverages.   They undercut Coke, so they got the contract.   I would think that HAL does their own negotiation for soda and water provisioning.

I will blame Orlando Ashford if Holland makes the switch. 

BTW, I certainly hope Pepsi replaces coke.

I remember a thread on another cruise line where someone wanted a complete refund of their cruise costs because the line didn't inform them prior to the cruise that they served Pepsi instead of Coke.  The thread began "We booked four people in the penthouse suite spending over $20K for the cruise.  We want our $20K compensation because this line didn't tell us they only served Pepsi products."

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I saw that news story, and they specifically said the switch from Coke to Pepsi would be on the "25+ Carnival ships in their fleet".    They did not mention Princess, HAL, Costa, etc.

If you are on a Carnival ship and order a Rum & Coke, what do you get ?   

NCL only has Pepsi products and if you order a Rum and Coke you get a Rum and Pepsi.  Let me tell you, Rum and Pepsi don't cut it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a huge thread on this currently on Carnival. I dislike Pepsi and am saddened to find out the switch to Pepsi from Coke on Carnival. We'll continue to bring our Cokes onboard with us. Rum and Pepsi? Long Island Iced Tea with Pepsi? Yuck!

Well, all we can do is send an email to Carnival and say " Thanks so much for saving me money on your cruises. Now, I DON'T need to spend money on a soda card and I DON'T need to order a rum and coke or a bourbon and coke from the bar. This will definitely save me, and cost you, a few bucks. Thanks again!!

41 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

For us, it will save us from bringing Pepsi on board if the change happens to Princess and HAL.  But, there will be as many people happy with the change as there will be ones that will be disappointed.  

Totally agree. All the righteous indignation is pointless.

And while we prefer Diet Pepsi, we drink both without complaining.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Why does it have to be either Coke or Pepsi? Better customer service would be to find a way to offer more variety. 

Most likely there’s an exclusivity agreement. Pepsi agrees to sell their product to Carnival at a deeply discounted rate, and Carnival agrees not to sell products from a competing company.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Most likely there’s an exclusivity agreement. Pepsi agrees to sell their product to Carnival at a deeply discounted rate, and Carnival agrees not to sell any other products from a competing company.

I understand the logistics of how these agreements have traditionally taken place. I still question the 'why' because I think companies that find a way to please their customers will do better in the long run. Choosing one over the other (no matter how deep the promised discount) only serves to reduce customer care. 

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I will blame Orlando Ashford if Holland makes the switch. 

BTW, I certainly hope Pepsi replaces coke.

I remember a thread on another cruise line where someone wanted a complete refund of their cruise costs because the line didn't inform them prior to the cruise that they served Pepsi instead of Coke.  The thread began "We booked four people in the penthouse suite spending over $20K for the cruise.  We want our $20K compensation because this line didn't tell us they only served Pepsi products."

He came from Coca Cola...

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I understand the logistics of how these agreements have traditionally taken place. I still question the 'why' because I think companies that find a way to please their customers will do better in the long run. Choosing one over the other (no matter how deep the promised discount) only serves to reduce customer care. 

Yes, but such 'discounts' free up funds to be spent on other customer care areas.

• Like 1

It may not be so much about discounts (although I suspect they can be substantial) is  that the vendor demands exclusivity. In many (if not most) food service establishments,  you'll see either Coke or Pepsi, but not both. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, expectGREATthings said:

Today Carnival announced that they are switching from Coke products to Pepsi ... Will HAL switch as well?

As a CCL shareholder (who wants to see HAL make as much profit as is reasonably/ethically possible), I certainly hope not.  Coca-Cola products are the largest selling soft drinks in the world for a reason - more people prefer them to others such as PepsiCola products. 

Edited by avian777

Coke products are preferred by more people than Pepsi, so it's not a "half and half" deal. I'd think a line would get considerably more complaints not having Coke products vs. not having Pepsi.

That said, if HAL switches brands, they'd better carry Pepsi's Diet Mountain Dew. I am NOT drinking the swill that passes for Diet Pepsi!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Coke products are preferred by more people than Pepsi, so it's not a "half and half" deal. I'd think a line would get considerably more complaints not having Coke products vs. not having Pepsi.

That said, if HAL switches brands, they'd better carry Pepsi's Diet Mountain Dew. I am NOT drinking the swill that passes for Diet Pepsi!

Amen.