Heads Up - Looks like wifi/internet changes are coming - situation on the Koningsdam

kazu

My friend is sailing on the Koningsdam and was caught aback when they discovered that their wifi was only for one device.

As most of us know you have been able to log in on different devices as long as it was one at a time.

Apparently, on their cruise the regular internet charge is for ONE device only.  If you want access to 2 devices, you need to pay an additional charge/higher cost for internet and the same for additional devices.  It has nothing to do with logging off.  The devices are apparently registered somehow so only those can be used.

I have no idea if this is going fleet wide or not, but.....

This might explain why they are having the internet promo offer on some sailings and giving it to both parties?  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

My friend is sailing on the Koningsdam and was caught aback when they discovered that their wifi was only for one device.

As most of us know you have been able to log in on different devices as long as it was one at a time.

Apparently, on their cruise the regular internet charge is for ONE device only.  If you want access to 2 devices, you need to pay an additional charge/higher cost for internet and the same for additional devices.  It has nothing to do with logging off.  The devices are apparently registered somehow so only those can be used.

This might explain why they are having the internet promo offer on some sailings and giving it to both parties?  

Our upcoming cruise the promo was wifi included.  I certainly hope that means for both of us on our personal devices.  I’ll have to confirm I guess with the Neptune concierge. 

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Our upcoming cruise the promo was wifi included.  I certainly hope that means for both of us on our personal devices.  I’ll have to confirm I guess with the Neptune concierge. 

It should be.  I have that promo and it specifically states passenger 1, 2.

When I first saw it, I was thinking why would be both need it?  But now, I ‘get’ it.

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

That explains why I could only get it to work on my iPad but not on my sister’s iPad.  This was also on the Koningsdam but that was back in December.... almost a year ago now.

Maybe it’s a Koningsdam thing?  I had no problem with two devices on the Prinsendam in the spring this year but they might not have bothered to update that ship with the pending sale.

Just wanted to warn people “in case”.

• Like 1

Interesting - I usually cruise solo but I was thinking this time (11/24/19 Koningsdam) I might connect with my phone in addition to my laptop.  Sounds like that may be a problem.  Also, my husband will be cruising with me in 2021 - if this is true I'll tell him to leave his laptop at home and he'll have to use mine for his online stuff.  Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to use both my laptop and my phone 😞  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

It should be.  I have that promo and it specifically states passenger 1, 2.

When I first saw it, I was thinking why would be both need it?  But now, I ‘get’ it.

That makes sense.  I just “assumed” but you know how that works!   

• Haha 1

The Westerdam in September 2019 had the plan to add another device to your plan for not too much more (I cannot remember the increase amount, though), and I added another device (my husband's) so we would not have to share. Previously, on a single plan, we had frequent conflicts when one person was on and another wanted to go online, so I thought it would be better to get the divided plan, it was cheaper than the 2 separate plans that we used to get. It seemed like a no-brainer. However, I can see it would be an increase in cost if only one person was using the plan, but with more than one device...then the old plan would be better.

15 minutes ago, colbe said:

Have just checked the contract for next week on the Volendam. This is what it says -

The plan can be activated on any device but only one device can be actively connected at a time

This sounds like the original plan. Maybe the friends of the OP misunderstood the directions and thought you could only use one device, not that you could use more than one, but only one at a time.

Edited by PSR

9 minutes ago, PSR said:

This sounds like the original plan. Maybe the friends of the OP misunderstood the directions and thought you could only use one device, not that you could use more than one, but only one at a time.

It would be really outrageous to restrict it to *one* device, rather than "one at a time".

One at a time means each of us can go on line, "one at a time", and then download files or email, then log off, and continue working, *while* the other then logs on to access email or whatever.

If both need to download "stuff" to a single device... REALLY?

We've got the package for Passengers 1,2, but what about the future!?

GC

17 minutes ago, PSR said:

I was on Koningsdam and had the same experience as the OP’s friend; unable to log in on different devices.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PSR said:

My friends are 5* Mariners.  They get internet regularly and certainly know how the internet works.  AND they have been on the Koningsdam in the past and this was not the case - so this is new.

They’ve always had internet and it is definitely different pricing on the Koningsdam for more devices.  It’s not what they nor I are used to so I posted as a courtesy to forewarn.

It’s certainly true right now on the Koningsdam.  Whether it goes fleet wide or not, I don’t know but fore warned is fore armed.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s certainly true right now on the Koningsdam.  Whether it goes fleet wide or not, I don’t know but fore warned is fore armed.

OK...I guess it's probably changing.🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s a good forewarning and certainly makes the promo giving internet to both guests in the cabin a lot easier to understand.  When I got that promo for a future booking I was a little confused by it.  It all makes sense now.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Do you  know if that means if I register my i Micro soft Surface, I cannot use a ships' computer in Neptune Lounge   with that   package?  One  of   the   devices is HAL's  own

Anyone  know what most cruise lines do in this regard?  I don' t recall  on NCL, "X", Princess

image.png

Edited by sail7seas

We’ve been on the Maasdam for close to 40 days with the unlimited package and haven’t run into any issues using our 3 devices. But we use a RavPower travel router which I guess gives the “foot print” of just one device, when in fact we can have up to 5 devices at a time virtually connected to it on the backside. Of course we can only access the Internet from our cabin, but it works great for us. 

One hint. Put the travel router in the nearest closet to the hallway door for the best reception. On the backside of the travel router, our devices worked just fine within 50 feet of it which allowed us to get Internet access out on our balcony. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Because we consider our cruise a vacation ,we leave our computers at home . Thus ,not a problem for us . Perhaps if we were to get free internet on the ship we take one computer . 

I do need to cancel many e0mails when we return & it is a    long job because  on the system thay need to be cancelled  twice   

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I was wondering about that..... and if that was the FIRST device you put on the network, if it would work.

Maybe if someone onboard starts the account with a device capable of creating a hot spot they can share the connection?

Yes, it needs to be the first device.  I know @POA1 posted how to connect so I am hoping he sees these tags as I cannot find that post.

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Of course we can only access the Internet from our cabin, but it works great for us. 

Hopefully these explanations and instructions by @POA1 will help:

Hotspot Router Mode

Mobile Router