Qantas non stop Heathrow to Sydney

Project Sunrise the non stop London to Sydney is just about to land this afternoon in Sydney .

It’s  an experimental flight with 50 passengers on board. How would you cope with a 20 hour flight ?

I think you would need a cruise to recover..

3029F0CC-3B08-4C8A-B236-BC5FFA379C6F.thumb.jpeg.2fb5913a4597d2ec1447c270831fc66a.jpeg

Even worse when you're delayed like this one was.

I'm in the camp that's surprised the Perth-London flight has done as well as it has - although the big cutback in capacity is a massive help.

Especially here where they will charge a premium for taking the non-stop option, it makes stopping even more desirable though even if they were the same having a break is fine.

8 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Even worse when you're delayed like this one was.

I'm in the camp that's surprised the Perth-London flight has done as well as it has - although the big cutback in capacity is a massive help.

Especially here where they will charge a premium for taking the non-stop option, it makes stopping even more desirable though even if they were the same having a break is fine.

I found the non-stop London-Perth flight good, so good that I have booked the reverse trip for next year.

DW & I are flying non-stop Sydney to LAX next year. I’m sure 13 hours will be long enough especially as I just cannot sleep on planes. Fortunately we’re coming back by ship. MUCH more civilised!

Oh! And I managed to get the one way flights for $554pp! 😁

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

DW & I are flying non-stop Sydney to LAX next year. I’m sure 13 hours will be long enough especially as I just cannot sleep on planes. Fortunately we’re coming back by ship. MUCH more civilised!

Oh! And I managed to get the one way flights for $554pp! 😁

Good shopping.

Do you have a seat or are you cargo?😋

• Haha 1

I'll never forget LHR-HKG-AKL  in 2013 landing ontime 6 hrs before Diamond Princess sailaway.A 27 hr journey.Stayed awake till bedtime and surprisingly little jetlag the next day.It will be a long time before that one will be nonstop.

Hate, hate, hate flying.  I would rather rub powder glass in my eyeballs while simultaneously shoving bamboo under my fingernails than fly for 20 hours straight.  The only way I can tolerate any flights at all is in BC and then its a struggle.  I hate it soooooooooooooo much that I actually (almost ashamed to say) fly BC to Bali.  Expecting it to be a good compromise between cheap and expensive, we flew Sydney to Vancouver Premium Economy (a million hours) but upgraded for the return.  I know, I'm a bit of a princess but hey, it's my kids inheritance and I'll spend it as I please!  😁

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I can handle 10 hours or so fairly easily, anything longer tends to drag.

Yes, it certainly drags, but at least it is over and done with. I prefer it to sitting in an airport for five or six hours, sometimes more, waiting for the connecting flight.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, it certainly drags, but at least it is over and done with. I prefer it to sitting in an airport for five or six hours, sometimes more, waiting for the connecting flight.

The stop overs I was thinking of are more like 9 hours (get a room at the airport) or much more and stay for a day or more.

Years ago, We used to stop over at most of the South Pacific Islands en route to the US and UK, flying mainly Air NZ.  It was heaven - a stopover for free on a different island paradise each trip.  

Now due to increased security, which I find tiring, I fly business class with EVA Air, from Brisbane via Taipei and Bangkok to the UK.  I love being able to get out of the plane, have a shower and snack on the most delicious tropical fruit you'd ever taste, in the Lounges.  My travel is part of my holiday. 

I wonder what 20 hours direct to UK business class is going to cost on Qantas.  I can't afford business class on Qantas now.  

I can see the appeal to business people. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Maybe this will prove to be a good option for us to get to London when we go when I retire 🙂 . 20 hours, long time of course but maybe preferable to stop over. Have taken the Syd-DFW flight a few times (16-17 hrs), but I would do pretty anything to avoid arriving thru LAX & interacting with US Border Force & this started way before Donald T.

2 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Maybe this will prove to be a good option for us to get to London when we go when I retire 🙂 . 20 hours, long time of course but maybe preferable to stop over. Have taken the Syd-DFW flight a few times (16-17 hrs), but I would do pretty anything to avoid arriving thru LAX & interacting with US Border Force & this started way before Donald T.

Yes, we all tried to avoid LAX, even before Trump.  Did you see Air NZ plans to fly direct to Chicago, which appeals to my daughters. 

My feeling is that if I can survive 14 hours on a plane then another six isn't going to make much difference. However from what I read a while back Qantas will only be offering premium economy and business class on those flights. Personally I don't think premium economy is good value for money and Qantas business class is way outside my price range so I doubt I'll ever go on one of those flights.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My feeling is that if I can survive 14 hours on a plane then another six isn't going to make much difference. However from what I read a while back Qantas will only be offering premium economy and business class on those flights. Personally I don't think premium economy is good value for money and Qantas business class is way outside my price range so I doubt I'll ever go on one of those flights.

My flight next year will be 5.5 hours from Brisbane to Perth, 1.5 hrs in transit, then Perth-Heathrow, 17 hours 20 minutes. 🙂 I don't want to spend a lot of time in stop-overs.

• Like 1