Qantas non stop Heathrow to Sydney

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My feeling is that if I can survive 14 hours on a plane then another six isn't going to make much difference. However from what I read a while back Qantas will only be offering premium economy and business class on those flights. Personally I don't think premium economy is good value for money and Qantas business class is way outside my price range so I doubt I'll ever go on one of those flights.

You may be thinking ot the current longest flight, with Singapore Air, which only offers those two classes.

Qantas is expecting if it goes ahead to have a 4 class build. This is so the aircraft can be utilised on other routes as well, and are not locked to one/certain routes.

So it will have economy... though it's not an option I'd want to take. (Although they have said there will be some more space than at present, plus room for stretching).

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

My flight next year will be 5.5 hours from Brisbane to Perth, 1.5 hrs in transit, then Perth-Heathrow, 17 hours 20 minutes. 🙂 I don't want to spend a lot of time in stop-overs.

That's fairly standard timing for a Australia to Europe flight regardless of which route you take. Most airlines offer options for combined travel time of 23-24 hours. For our next trip we're going on China Airlines which stops at Taipei. Around 10 hours on each sector. It would have been perfect with short transits each way but unfortunately they've cancelled the original Sydney to Taipei flight we booked on andhave put us on an overnight flight leaving a day earlier. So we have about 18 hours in Taipei to fill in. Oh well, I've never been to Taipei so I guess we'll be going sightseeing, including go to the original Din Tai Fung dumpling restaurant.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's fairly standard timing for a Australia to Europe flight regardless of which route you take. Most airlines offer options for combined travel time of 23-24 hours. For our next trip we're going on China Airlines which stops at Taipei. Around 10 hours on each sector. It would have been perfect with short transits each way but unfortunately they've cancelled the original Sydney to Taipei flight we booked on andhave put us on an overnight flight leaving a day earlier. So we have about 18 hours in Taipei to fill in. Oh well, I've never been to Taipei so I guess we'll be going sightseeing, including go to the original Din Tai Fung dumpling restaurant.

I will be flying Brisbane to Heathrow, then later, New York to Brisbane. One option was Cathay Pacific. The first flight was OK with a reasonable stop-over in Hong Kong, but the return flight had a 10hour stop-over. Not a good option. The only time it worked for us was in Singapore where we booked into a hotel room inside the airport. It was great, but this isn't available in HK. They only offered normal hotels. By the time you left the airport and transferred to the hotel, there would only be time for a shower and a short rest before you had to head back to the airport, allowing time for the security clearances. It would be easier to stay in a transit lounge - not fun for 10 hours.

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

You may be thinking ot the current longest flight, with Singapore Air, which only offers those two classes.

Qantas is expecting if it goes ahead to have a 4 class build. This is so the aircraft can be utilised on other routes as well, and are not locked to one/certain routes.

So it will have economy... though it's not an option I'd want to take. (Although they have said there will be some more space than at present, plus room for stretching).

I thought I'd read something around the time that Qantas did the New York nonstop flight about them only intending to offer two classes on the long flights but I could be wrong.

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I will be flying Brisbane to Heathrow, then later, New York to Brisbane. One option was Cathay Pacific. The first flight was OK with a reasonable stop-over in Hong Kong, but the return flight had a 10hour stop-over. Not a good option. The only time it worked for us was in Singapore where we booked into a hotel room inside the airport. It was great, but this isn't available in HK. They only offered normal hotels. By the time you left the airport and transferred to the hotel, there would only be time for a shower and a short rest before you had to head back to the airport, allowing time for the security clearances. It would be easier to stay in a transit lounge - not fun for 10 hours.

Yes, 10 hours is a bit too long in a transit lounge. I've been lucky in being able to mostly avoid long transit times so far when travelling long haul. We did have a seven hour transit in Singapore once where we used the transit hotel. I suspect I'll be a tad grumpy by the time we board the second flight in Taipei. 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

There are a few that are not too far away, would still allow for a 6 hour rest.https://www.hongkongairporthotel.com/

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, 10 hours is a bit too long in a transit lounge. I've been lucky in being able to mostly avoid long transit times so far when travelling long haul. We did have a seven hour transit in Singapore once where we used the transit hotel. I suspect I'll be a tad grumpy by the time we board the second flight in Taipei. 

Our friends used that transit hotel on the way from LHR-ADL.Apparently theres a pool there also which they made good use of.

17 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Probably the main reason for more legroom in economy is that the plane wouldn't make the trip with the usual sardine payload.

I am a stopover person. I usually schedule in a three night stopover between flights. I just find I feel better when I get to my destination if I have gotten a good rest, plus I seem to get less sick which is something you want to avoid when on hoilday🤗. Anyway I always find something new to experience at my stop overs that just adds to my holidays so I don't find it a drag. If I could afford BC I would probably consider long flights but as it is a return BC is bascially the total cost of a month long trip, how can I justify paying that on one flight😕?

22 hours ago, brian1 said:

Our friends used that transit hotel on the way from LHR-ADL.Apparently theres a pool there also which they made good use of.

The pool was great! We had a swim, some lunch by the pool, then went to our room for a rest and showers.

Just finished MSC Divina cruise today in Miami (more to come about that - and it wont be complimentary). In two days time I'll be flying back to Sydney - 28 hours - not including a three hour transit in Doha.  Returning BC to ease the pain a little.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:10 PM, Aus Traveller said:

My flight next year will be 5.5 hours from Brisbane to Perth, 1.5 hrs in transit, then Perth-Heathrow, 17 hours 20 minutes. 🙂 I don't want to spend a lot of time in stop-overs.

With you Aus Traveller - if you have to fly to UK - get it done! Qantas prices for BC Perth to Heathrow reasonable considering its 17hrs and heard very good reviews on the Dreamliner. 
And we are in CQ so add an extra few hours to our flights 🥺

Edited by Porky55

Here is an account of what it was like on the London to Sydney test flight :

On board Project Sunrise's epic test flight

And a video account:

The World's LONGEST Flight - QANTAS London to Sydney

And this the article that goes with the video. Lots of pictures with this one:

Qantas Project Sunrise Research Flight

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1