Cruise Critic Community
bubbie74

Purchasing spirits for cabin

Is it the same price to purchase liquor for your cabin once you board the ship as opposed to pre-ordering?

Once you board the ship you can't get alcohol delivered to your cabin. If you buy it on board in the shops they hold it until the end of your cruise so if you want alcohol in your cabin for your cruise you need to pre-order it through the funshop 

I once thought of buying a bottle for my cabin then I got hit with sticker shock. The bottle of whiskey I wanted was almost double what I would pay at home. 

I've always been able to order a bottle of Rye from the Cherry on Top when on the cruise delivered to my room.  It costs the same as ordering it as an in room gift before you leave.

1 hour ago, hockeyguru32 said:

Once you board the ship you can't get alcohol delivered to your cabin. If you buy it on board in the shops they hold it until the end of your cruise so if you want alcohol in your cabin for your cruise you need to pre-order it through the funshop 

Unless it has changed, this is not true. Simply call room service and order any bottle of liquor you want. I called and ordered a bottle of Crown several cruises ago, and within 15-20 minutes, they were knocking on the door. Charged to your on board account.

If you but the liquor in the on board shops at the cheaper price, you don't get it until the last night, or debarkation morning. 

50 minutes ago, bubbie74 said:

Where is cherry on top please?

It will vary from ship to ship, but you should be able to see it on the deck plans. 

I have ordered bottles from room service. Same price as pre ordering.

Yes, you can get bottles. Yes, they are more than retail price. It is still far cheaper than buying said liquor at the bar.

How long ago? I called carnival fun ship store. They said you cant buy..only pre order. Maybe they are trying to pre-sell.

7 hours ago, idraconis said:

I once thought of buying a bottle for my cabin then I got hit with sticker shock. The bottle of whiskey I wanted was almost double what I would pay at home. 

While it is likely significantly more than buying from a retail store at home, so are most other drinks you purchase on the ship.  A bottle of wine is 2-3x what I can pay at home, but we still sometimes purchase onboard.  The 12 pack of bottled water is pretty reasonable at $5, but I can get 36 bottles for that price locally.  A can of soft drink is around $3 and I can by 12 cans for around $6 without a sale - yet it is worth it to us to purchase a la carte rather than carry on from home.  I can buy a 6 pack of Angry Orchard for less than half the cost of a 4 bottle bucket of beer, but I can't carry it on the ship.

I think the difference with spirits is the high overall sticker shock.  Some people don't think about the $5-$30 purchase, but when it starts approaching $100 it gives them pause.

7 hours ago, idraconis said:

wish it was only double, i would buy it. A $15 of liquor costs closer to $100

If you get 20 drinks out of a liter bottle, which is a reasonable shot, you're coming out ahead of what you'd pay at the bars. And if, for example, your wife might have told you that rum and pepsi sounds horrible and you need to bring some Coca-Cola on your next cruise, you might as well just mix a few in the cabin anyway. 

The difference is you can't order from the SHOPS.  If you want a bottle delivered to your ROOM you call room service which is sometimes referred to as "Cherry on Top" for some reason.  I have never had an issue.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, coevan said:

And how much would you pay for 10 or 20 drinks on the ship? A lot more than $100

On 11/15/2019 at 6:47 AM, idraconis said:

this is what I was referring to, not how much a drink costs

13 hours ago, EBONI325 said:

And how much would you pay for 10 or 20 drinks on the ship? A lot more than $100

10 drinks would be less than $100

8 hours ago, coevan said:

this is what I was referring to, not how much a drink costs

10 drinks would be less than $100

But you can get 20 drinks out of that $100 bottle. Buying a bottle works better for me, but to each it's own.

Edited by EBONI325

On 11/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, coevan said:

While there may be some cheaper vodkas really marked up, this is a bit of an exaggeration. I can get a 1 liter of whiskey for $120. That is certainly not a $15 bottle.

what? exactly what I said, what are you saying, what is an exaggeration?

I read Joebucks as saying the 1L whiskey he can get for $120 on the ship is not $15 per bottle at home.

Out of curiosity I checked our Fine Wine & Good Spirits prices compared to Carnival.  It looks like Carnival is roughly 3-4X higher depending on the brand.  More than twice the cost, but not approaching 10x. (I also had to wince seeing the misuse of whisky/whiskey on Carnival).

why do you continue to explain what other people say? There are $15 bottles of whiskey in the U.S. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, fan3car said:

I have ordered bottles from room service. Same price as pre ordering.

As do I and same price as pre-order.

Usually order one bottle pre-cruise so it is there when we board and another midweek from room service on an 8 day cruise.

I drink the Brugal Anejo Rum at $85.00 per bottle.

I'm on vacation.

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages?q=%3Aprice-asc%3Acategory%3Aliquor

I'll also have a few while out and about during the cousre of a day.

My wife can't drink so it is alot cheaper then Cheers for 2 of us!

Edited by thesmiths

19 hours ago, coevan said:

why do you continue to explain what other people say? There are $15 bottles of whiskey in the U.S. 

I thought anyone was allowed to answer a question on the forums, not only the original person asked.  If you don't want to see my responses there is an ignore user function.

I believe you that there are $15 bottles of whiskey in the US.  I can even believe that a bottle which costs $15 in Colorado might cost $30 in Pennsylvania.  The $15-20 bottles I saw (of similar volume) were around $80 on Carnival, not $100.