Accessible stateroom questions

OceanCruise

We usually cruise with Celebrity. A family member does not have any mobility issues per se but this person has a documented disability requiring use of several electronic medical devices and has to have a lot of boxes of medical supplies delivered to the stateroom. Most of the supplies need to remain in the room so storage elsewhere is not an option. All this requires a lot of extra room to maneuver and for safety. A regular stateroom is not really big enough to manage so in the past we have booked a suite and that worked out pretty well. As suite prices are very costly, we are wondering if an accessible stateroom would be approriate in this situation. Would this person be at risk of being bumped from the room if someone with a scooter or wheelchair needs it after we book it? While I assume an accessible bathroom is larger, how else is it different than a regular stateroom bathroom? 

I don't think you are going to get any different answers here than when you asked on the Celebrity board.  The bathroom is probably more than twice the size with no sill, roll in shower with seat that folds down.  If you go to cruisedeckplans.com, choose your cruise line, ship, and then on the left are the cabin categories.  Scroll to your category and click on handicap.  If there are any pictures there will be a tiny camera icon.  Click on it to see pics.  Actually, the HC bathrooms are pretty standard in all categories.  EM

Why not contact the special needs department of the cruise line? Depending on the nature of the medical equipment, they may have an alternative solution (or may recommend that based on your family member's overall needs that an accessible cabin is the only way to accommodate all of their needs).

They may be able to remove some less-necessary furniture from the room to make space or figure something else. Better to ask directly.

I have found that the accessible staterooms book out very early.  I have 2 upcoming cruises and am forced to be in a regular cabin.  Sure hope my scooter fits.  I don't think the cruise lines really check if someone really needs an accessible cabin.  They ask, but don't require proof.  I know people who book these cabins for the extra room.  It's really a shame folks who really need one can't get one.

8 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

I have found that the accessible staterooms book out very early.  I have 2 upcoming cruises and am forced to be in a regular cabin.  Sure hope my scooter fits.  I don't think the cruise lines really check if someone really needs an accessible cabin.  They ask, but don't require proof.  I know people who book these cabins for the extra room.  It's really a shame folks who really need one can't get one.

On 2 cruises we rented a scooter for my DH to use as he was recovering from extensive foot reconstruction surgery and would get tired with the long walks on the ship. The only problem that we had with a regular stateroom was getting the scooter around the bed. In both cases the bed was next to the bathroom and it was VERY difficult to get the scooter beyond the bed. On the KDamn we had to remove parts in order to do that and on the Celebrity ship because of the room shape there was enough room to park it next to the bathroom and still open the door. He didn't have much trouble getting it through the door but he had lots of practice with his scooter at home. Good luck and hope you enjoy the cruise.

• 1 month later...

Celebrity now makes you fill out a form that needs documentation for an accessible cabin, once on file no need to do it again. Seems that non handicapped cruisers were booking these cabins for the extra space. Reflection, when we booked the transatlantic for this past November, had no available accessible cabins, but we were put on a watch list. We informed our ta that we were going to cancel due to our cabin need. In mid September we were informed that they actually moved someone out of an aqua accessible cabin and we were assigned it. 

Hal

On 12/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, HS2BS said:

Celebrity now makes you fill out a form that needs documentation for an accessible cabin, once on file no need to do it again. Seems that non handicapped cruisers were booking these cabins for the extra space. Reflection, when we booked the transatlantic for this past November, had no available accessible cabins, but we were put on a watch list. We informed our ta that we were going to cancel due to our cabin need. In mid September we were informed that they actually moved someone out of an aqua accessible cabin and we were assigned it. 

Hal

I had to fill out a form for Norwegian and RCI.We are currently on a wait list for an accessible cabin with RCI.We were told that they do not allow people without disability to book the cabins.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:04 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Yes they do book out very early.  That is why we usually book an accessible stateroom up to 2 years in advance.  I always keep several on-board deposits (Princess Cruiseline) on hand just for this purpose. 

Princess always sends me an attestation to fill out describing our needs for an accessible stateroom asking size and type of mobility device required and by which guest. 

15 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Yes they do book out very early.  That is why we usually book an accessible stateroom up to 2 years in advance.  I always keep several on-board deposits (Princess Cruiseline) on hand just for this purpose. 

Princess always sends me an attestation to fill out describing our needs for an accessible stateroom asking size and type of mobility device required and by which guest. 

I recently found out why I couldn't get an accessible cabin on Oasis of the Seas.  I emailed RCCL about the issue and found out that the accessible cabins are for 3 people,  so when we search we  look for 2 people and it come up with nothing.  Royal gave me  an accessible cabin and made an exception on the 3 people requirement.  Thank you RCCL for your help!