How is Uniworld handling the flooding in Venice?

SuiteTraveler

1 hour ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I'm curious if anyone knows what Uniworld is doing about their river cruises that normally include Venice during the record flooding that is going on in Venice? 

I believe their final cruise of the season was ended a week or two ago.

Robin

It did end recently. I sailed to Venice last month and I know they had one more cruise after mine....so earlier this

month the Venice season ended and the boat is going into drydock as well.

I was looking at the photos of St Marks Square and was thinking OMG...….I was just there and now the waters are

flooding out the entire place:classic_sad:

9 hours ago, acwmom said:

I believe their final cruise of the season was ended a week or two ago.

Robin

Thank you.  I was wondering what on earth they would do.  I didn't know they had a cruise season  -  thought they would go right through Christmas and into Carnivale.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

It did end recently. I sailed to Venice last month and I know they had one more cruise after mine....so earlier this

month the Venice season ended and the boat is going into drydock as well.

I was looking at the photos of St Marks Square and was thinking OMG...….I was just there and now the waters are

flooding out the entire place:classic_sad:

I am just so horrified about what has happened there.  I am concerned about the paintings being exposed to humidity and the damage to property.  This is really terrible and I'm afraid the road to recovery will be very long.

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Agree it looks terrible.

2 deaths reported and many locals are struggling with the disaster and losses.

Such a unique place needs help to recover and prevent flood damage. 

Tragic when such events occur anywhere.

They need to turn to their Dutch neighbors.  They've mastered the art of water and flood control.  When I was in the Netherlands, I was speaking with some Dutch who asked me why FEMA in the US concentrates on emergency management AFTER a flood instead of working to prevent it in the first place.  I didn't have an answer.  The canals, locks, and flood gates in the Netherlands are pretty incredible.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

They need to turn to their Dutch neighbors.  They've mastered the art of water and flood control.  When I was in the Netherlands, I was speaking with some Dutch who asked me why FEMA in the US concentrates on emergency management AFTER a flood instead of working to prevent it in the first place.  I didn't have an answer.  The canals, locks, and flood gates in the Netherlands are pretty incredible.  

This explains why we don't have flood prevention - mostly due to a lack of federal funding because Congress has not approved it:  https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/05/america-is-flooding-and-its-our-fault/561605/

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Money and corruption.
I viewed an MIT talk ages ago about the proposed system to protect sinking Venice.  A clever but complex large floating barrier scheme was devised and began implementation last decade.  However corruption absorbed the funds faster than they could be raised and little was built.  It got so bad with billions in cost over runs and little progress that the program was stopped a few years ago.
Venice continues to sink.  Built on marshland. Really high astronomical full moon tides combined with storm surge from an offshore cyclone during peak rainy season...disaster.
Venice flooded a foot or so deep at our visit early November 2018.

I was told that Venice wouldn't be in so much trouble, except that during the brief period when Napoleon occupied it the French decided to 'upgrade' the water supply and began pumping out the ground water.  Maybe they can hire American frackers to pump it back in...

4 minutes ago, karska said:

Hi all. We just booked uniworld, Beatrice. Going from Budapast to Prague next September. I can't find a board or forum on this cruise. Can anyone advise. Thanks

Hi, the River Cruises are all on one forum and you are on it now:classic_biggrin:.....if you are talking about a specific roll call?

You can start your own and see if anyone comes on with you but river cruises are a different animal. They have

so few guests (compared to ocean cruising) that many times the roll calls are slim to none.

The only river cruise line with a roll call forum is Viking.  

Several of us who post here have sailed on Uniworld, including Lois and I, so if you have questions, ask away.  The River Beatrice was my first river cruise.  This was before it was refurbished and turned into the S.S. Beatrice.

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

The only river cruise line with a roll call forum is Viking.  

Several of us who post here have sailed on Uniworld, including Lois and I, so if you have questions, ask away.  The River Beatrice was my first river cruise.  This was before it was refurbished and turned into the S.S. Beatrice.

Hi Roz, there is another forum for roll calls if you look at the table of contents on the main page.....it says Roll calls for

"other lines"...…...so there are cruises listed for x y and z LOL...…..people just put in the line and the boat and the date.

6 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

This explains why we don't have flood prevention - mostly due to a lack of federal funding because Congress has not approved it:  https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/05/america-is-flooding-and-its-our-fault/561605/

We could have a long, off topic, and interesting (if it stayed civil) discussion about ways to reduce the flooding problems in the US. Federal funding is only one, very necessary, element of "solving" the problem. Maybe it's not simply a matter of more funding. Maybe it's a matter of redirected funding.

Difficult decisions. https://www.nj.com/data/2018/07/these_nj_properties_flood_over_and_over_again_costing_taxpayers_like_you_millions.html

On 11/16/2019 at 7:59 AM, Roz said:

The Delta Works manages water flow (if necessary) before the swells even get into the canals.  A pretty impressive bit of engineering. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Works

Fran

• Like 2