Ft. Lauderdale to Miami cruise port

beshears

If you have flown into the Ft. Lauderdale airport, and cruised out of the Miami port, how long does it take to get to the cruise port from the airport?  I have found a good deal to fly from KC to Ft. Lauderdale, but will get in around 2:00, and by the ship leaving at 4:00, we might not have enough time????

5 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

If you land at 2 you won't get to luggage until 230. Then need a 35-55minute ride to POM. 

Highly probable embarkation ends at 2-3pm, No?  

Would never try it. You are inviting big trouble. When we have no choice but to fly the day of a cruise, we arrive as early as possible, around 8-830am, earlier if possible. And always fly non stop.

No. We have flown into FLL and cruised out of POM many times.  We arrive the day before and Uber/Lift from the hotel in Ft Lauderdale  mid morning when traffic is lighter .   In the afternoon it not only takes longer and costs more, but delays are more likely.  One time we attempted to take a 5am direct flight with a 9am arrival.  Flight got delayed and fight changed. So we ended up on a 1:30pm arrival. We ran for a taxi $100 to save time, no checked luggage . Had the Scariest ride to the port ever. We Got stuck in port arrival traffic. We paid the driver and ran/walked to find our ship. They closed the doors after us . A second later we would be waving from the dock. Double check the required times . There a time you must check in by and a time the ship sails. Two different times. Good Luck.

I just did this November 1.  My daughter didn't want to miss Halloween so we flew to FLL from Charlotte nonstop on the 7:30am flight.  We landed at 9:25am, we only had carry-ons so no waiting for luggage.  Our Lyft picked us up at 9:54am and we were at the Terminal in Miami by 10:35.  

That being said!!!  I was stressed the whole time and it is something I will avoid doing if at all possible.  I can't even imagine trying to make it if my flight didn't get in until 2pm. 

Have you flown lately??? 

Just flew last weekend Newark to Greensboro. Beautiful weather both airports. Flight was delayed 11/2 taking off due to some mechanical issue on in coming aircraft in Minnesota. The return flight landing back in Newark they decided we didn’t need a gate and disembarked us on the tarmac and then bussed us to the terminal. It took us an hour to get out of Newark from the time we landed.

Flight in October was supposed to leave Ft Myers at 9:05pm to Newark. After several delays, unruly passenger needing to be disembarked then mechanical issue and by that time crew had timed out and needed to wait for new crew. We landed at 4:30am in Newark, then the baggage carousel got stuck with everyone’s luggage in it, didn’t get out of the airport until 5:30. 

I could go on to July where we left Atlanta and got almost to Newark when they closed the airport because of a thunder storm. We ended going back south and landing in Richmond where we waited until the airport opened back up.

99.9% chance you’re going to miss your cruise with that flight.

49 minutes ago, beshears said:

If you have flown into the Ft. Lauderdale airport, and cruised out of the Miami port, how long does it take to get to the cruise port from the airport?  I have found a good deal to fly from KC to Ft. Lauderdale, but will get in around 2:00, and by the ship leaving at 4:00, we might not have enough time????

Its about 45 min on a good day.  You land at 2pm and have to get through the airport to the transportation.   I believe latest check in is an hour before ships leaves.   You will never make it.

Don't take this flight unless you are planning to wave good bye to your ship from the terminal.

3 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Has Anyone used the miamiportexpress ? They show a 14.99 cost from FLL to port of Miami. Flying in to FLL and staying over night day before. Just looking to see if anyone has used this serves ?

They get horrible reviews on TripAdvisor, here are a few:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34227-d8599207-Reviews-Miami_Port_Express-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County_Florida.html#REVIEWS

6 hours ago, beshears said:

No. Way. In. H*ll.

You are required to be checked in and onboard by 3p.

Don't be a fool.

4 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Has Anyone used the miamiportexpress ? They show a 14.99 cost from FLL to port of Miami. Flying in to FLL and staying over night day before. Just looking to see if anyone has used this serves ?

If you are flying in the day before and staying at a Miami hotel, check out SAS Transportation. 

8 hours ago, beshears said:

I have flown into Fort Lauderdale and cruised out of Miami.  There is no way I would fly in the same day as the cruise, let alone two hours before the ship departs.  That leaves 0% room for delays on the flight, with your baggage, and transportation to the port.  I had a flight yesterday, first one of the day, that boarded on time but sat on the tarmac for 40 minutes.  Anyone who flies a lot can tell you that flight delays are common.  I would have missed one of my cruises completely if I had flown in the same day.

Anyway, if you must fly in the day of the cruise, then I would highly recommend choosing a flight that arrives early in the morning.   But I have had a couple early morning direct flights cancelled, so even that is taking a risk.  At least you will increase the odds of making the cruise with an earlier flight.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Thank you "everyone" for your replies to my question.  As SWA is the main airline (I have checked others, and they are even worse in price, if that is possible) that we will probably be flying in on.  Yes, I checked for the day of the cruise, and we can arrive by 10:15, so that should give us plenty of time.  Also, I also checked for the high price we will be paying, "if" I see the weather is going to be bad a day or so before, either here in MO, or FL, could we change flights to the day before cruising without any cost, and they said yes, so that was good to know also.

10 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

Flying in day before but will be staying over night in Fort Lauderdale. Hotel will take us back to FLL airport. Looking for a cheaper transport to Miami then the Carnival bus at $39.00.

Why go back to the airport?  Look for a shuttle that will take you from your hotel to POM.

26 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Why go back to the airport?  Look for a shuttle that will take you from your hotel to POM.

Check the web sites for SAS, QLS, MJS, etc. to see if they pick up at your hotel. Uber or Lyft from FLL area hotels to POM will be about $35-40, or a taxi is about $70 - same fare for minivan taxis and SUVs in case you have 3-4+ in your party or lots of bags.