Let's talk about the cheapest cruise price per day that you have scored and how you did it.

I am able to cruise because I work hard to find the cheapest cruise price per day that I can.  I have to also consider what it will cost me to fly to the Embarkation port and to fly back home again as part of the overall cruise deal.

Tell me what your best cruise price was per day and whether it was worth the cost.

I honestly find the work of finding the best cruise price all part of the cruise adventure.  I'd love to hear your best cruise deals, both Solo and otherwise.

We have 4 kids and it's often never cheap for us to do anything.  For example, go carts on breakaway+ 15$ x 6 = $90 for 8 laps. Forget trying to swing a week long pass for that at $199 a piece!  

When we have looked at booking rooms for all 6 of us we have found that a single room that sleeps 6 is always the cheapest.  The best deal we ever got was an NCL special that was pay for 2ppl and everyone else is free (plus taxes).  We found a haven family balcony for $2399pp and were able to get all 6 of us in a family 2 bedroom in the Haven for $4798.00 plus taxes (~5400).  That averages out to 799 per person in the Haven plus taxes.  And there was no age limit on addl people.  In addition to that we got free specialty meals (x5) for my wife and I and $450 of OBC plus wifi and $50 shore excursion which we never use.

The cruise was a Mexican Riviera from LA on the Jewel.  Have never found a deal that good since that special.  It worked out to 114.00 per day in the Haven.

Edited by wilmingtech
  • Like 3

The absolute cheapest fare we’ve ever booked was on a 7 night cruise aboard the MSC Divina in 2016. Before port taxes, we paid $18pd/pp for a balcony stateroom. At the time, we scored a two for one in a balcony stateroom promo, a kids sail free promo, and an additional 5% discount for their loyalty match program. 

Another cheap deal was $25pd/pp (also before taxes) on a weekend Bahamas cruise on Carnival. This was right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and this price was offered as a last minute fare (We lived in Miami at the time, and we literally booked at 10:00am and we were at the port by 1:00pm).

Our upcoming 7 night cruise on Holland America’s Niew Statendam in February is pricing out at $52pd/pp for a balcony stateroom. Considering that HAL is considered a premium cruise line and this is their newest ship, I think that it’s an awesome deal.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilmingtech said:

We have 4 kids and it's often never cheap for us to do anything.  For example, go carts on breakaway+ 15$ x 6 = $90 for 8 laps. Forget trying to swing a week long pass for that at $199 a piece!  

When we have looked at booking rooms for all 6 of us we have found that a single room that sleeps 6 is always the cheapest.  The best deal we ever got was an NCL special that was pay for 2ppl and everyone else is free (plus taxes).  We found a haven family balcony for $2399pp and were able to get all 6 of us in a family 2 bedroom in the Haven for $4798.00 plus taxes (~5400).  That averages out to 799 per person in the Haven plus taxes.  And there was no age limit on addl people.  

The cruise was a Mexican Riviera from LA on the Jewel.  Have never found a deal that good since that special.

What was the length of the cruise?  So the cost per person per day was what?  And how much would the taxes increase that price per person?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The absolute cheapest fare we’ve ever booked was on a 7 night cruise aboard the MSC Divina in 2016. Before port taxes, we paid $18pd for a balcony stateroom. At the time, we scored a two for one in a balcony stateroom promo, a kids sail free promo, and an additional 5% discount for their loyalty match program. 

Another cheap deal was $25pd (also before taxes) on a weekend Bahamas cruise on Carnival. This was right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and this price was offered as a last minute fare (We literally booked at 10:00am and we were at the port by 1:00pm).

Our upcoming 7 night cruise on Holland America’s Niew Statendam in February is pricing out at $52pd for a balcony stateroom. Considering that HAL is considered a premium cruise line and this is their newest ship, I think that it’s an awesome deal.

That's amazing.  Thanks!

Tell me how you could book a Holland America for that please.  I don't get it.

12 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

So far my cheapest PPPD for a Solo cruise was for a 14 day TA cruise from Barcelona to Miami for $75 dollars per person(solo) per day, including taxes, gratuities  and port fees.  But then airfare is also a factor to keep in mind.

Oh, that was for an Inside Cabin(Sail-Away).

£53 per person before port fees (£60 including) for three of us on an 11 night cruise on the Spirit in April 2017 (About $70 including fees). That included the beverage package as a promo.

I think we got a decent price as we were transferred from another sailing which was cancelled, but back then the Spirit used to be dirt cheap during the spring. We had a few cheap Easter cruises on the Spirit.

That was for a balcony, but I don’t think an oceanview or inside would have been much cheaper.

Edited by KeithJenner

For a solo inside cabin 5 night on Sun using the current CruiesNext promo and last minute booking rate, the cost (fare and taxes) after certificate was $12.  The certificate cost $125.  $20 in port fees were refunded on board.  So, less than $24 per day solo inside.  

Balcony Solo on same was twenty dollars per day more.  Still a great deal.  We booked two cabins, paid less than if we booked two in balcony (no supplement), shared the balcony and enjoyed extra Platinum benefits.

• Like 1

I have been on a few which came in just under $50pppd.  Our trick for those was to plan our vacations in non-peak times and be very flexible.  It helps that we are in driving distance of all the FL ports.  

I am doing the same thing for a late winter cruise in a couple months and it looks like pricing will be pretty favorable.  We pick about a 2 weeks span and just watch everything leaving during that time frame.  Many times one or two cruises will get priced a little more aggressively than the others.  We jump on it.  The more restriction you put such as 'has to be a mega ship' or 'has to go to St. Marteen' the less chance you have.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Our trick for those was to plan our vacations in non-peak times and be very flexible.

We have found that the price of cruises after Thanksgiving and before Christmas are typically bottom dollar prices.  Usually right around the 7th-10th of december for embarkation.

Just now, wilmingtech said:

We have found that the price of cruises after Thanksgiving and before Christmas are typically bottom dollar prices.  Usually right around the 7th-10th of december for embarkation.

I agree.....very good time.

My cheapest was $36 per person per day, in a balcony cabin on the Disney Wonder in 2002.
Prices had dropped due to people who stopped traveling after 9/11, and Disney was offering a 3 Night cruise for $99 per person, port fees and taxes added another $10 dollars. The catch was we had to cruise on a 4 day cruise in the winter of 2002 and we got that $99 fare if we took a fall cruise the same year. The 4 night cruise in a balcony cabin we took in January 2002 was $123.50 per person per day.

Edited by justhappy

8 minutes ago, justhappy said:

My cheapest was $36 per person per day, in a balcony cabin on the Disney Wonder in 2002.

That’s awesome. When we sailed on the Disney Fantasy in 2017 we paid $267 pp/pd. And prices keep going up. We have friends who just booked the same ship and itinerary we did 2 years ago at $330 pp/pd. 

This past April I took a last minute cruise on NCL Gem Boston to Bermuda for my 1st solo cruise. Inside sailaway and using a cruise next cert that someone here on cc was giving away. It cost $34 per day total. No flights needed. It was a great 7 night cruise. $262 total cost.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Tell me how you could book a Holland America for that please.  I don't get it.

One thing that helps us keep the pp/pd cost down is because we are a family of 4. I look for cruises that offer either reduced or free 3rd/4th fares which helps bring the average per person cost down . That’s the case with our upcoming Holland America cruise. The 3rd and 4th person in the stateroom are sailing for free. 

Also, when we sail on Holland America, we use a website which allows us to obtain quotes from several travel agencies. We’ve learned that Holland does offer considerably better pricing to some agencies so it pays off to go through this process. Our currently booked cruise was over $1,000 cheaper than the HAL website just by booking through one of these preferred travel agencies. 

Between the 3rd/4th fare promo and the travel agency discount, we couldn’t find a cheaper cruise departing that same weekend. I looked at all the usual suspects, Royal, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian and nothing came close. 

13 minutes ago, Tapi said:

That’s awesome. When we sailed on the Disney Fantasy in 2017 we paid $267 pp/pd. And prices keep going up. We have friends who just booked the same ship and itinerary we did 2 years ago at $330 pp/pd. 

Yes it was! Those two cruises were our first cruises, and got us hooked and I’ve since done 16 cruises on Disney ships. Now looking back the prices have skyrocketed. 
I still love the Mouse but limit my time with him to the theme parks. Nowadays  if I want to spend that much on a cruise I’d rather be in a Haven cabin on a breakaway class ship!

• Like 1

I just completed 8 weeks in Alaska on the Jewel.  Balcony (BX) $599 and no supplement, taxes and port fee $205.  Used two CN for $500.  And had OBC to take care of my on board tips.  804-500=$304 total for a solo in a balcony for a week.  This was the second week of a B2B.  First week  Inside (IX) $299 no supplement, taxes and port fees $234 fora total of $533.  Used two CN on this one two.  533-500=$33.  Had to pay for tips on this one.  I was also able to purchased $1000 of CN for only $150.  So my $1000 of CN that I purchased went towards $1000 for my next B2B.  I was able to use $3000 of CN towards my eight cruises I took in Alaska this year.

Just got off the Joy last month.  16 day Panama Canal.  Balcony (BX) $699, taxes and port fees $446 minus $500 CN for a total of $645.  I think I do pretty good.  

I would like to thank CruiseCritic and Budget Queen for all your help over all the years.

Looking at the Joy next month at another possible free cruise.  I still have two CN left and waiting for the solo supplement to be waived.

• Like 2