Souvenirs

anniedave

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Everything I have kept has sentimental value .I have not kept things that may have monetary value.

Bob's mother had Waterford crystal that she likely bought in Ireland since she worked as a TA. We didn't want it and the girls didn't. It was worth south of $1k and I was too lazy to sell it online (mainly the packing well enough to ship safely). We donated it to our SPCA thrift store.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

We've told our 'kids' now in the 40s that we're not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave.  They can whatever they want.  Period.

1 minute ago, clo said:

We've told our 'kids' now in the 40s that we're not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave.  They can whatever they want.  Period.

My parents passed away 40 years ago .They left books and pictures.I kept all the pictures.My father had business cards from working in the Kiss building in NYC 85 years ago.I kept them .I have photos of my father and his friends from the 20’s .

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Bob's mother had Waterford crystal that she likely bought in Ireland since she worked as a TA. We didn't want it and the girls didn't. It was worth south of $1k and I was too lazy to sell it online (mainly the packing well enough to ship safely). We donated it to our SPCA thrift store.

My parents had my first cup and spoon .I kept that.My first razor,my first scarf.I hope my grandkids will keep them too.

Going back to cruise souvenirs. My father came to the US from Liverpool in 1913.At that time I am told that in order to enter the US you had to have a job waiting for you.

My fathers sister arranged that and the company paid for his transportation.It was not called a cruise ship but the passengers in first and second class had cabins and dining privileges.I have a copy of a Saturday night menu which if it did not have a date on it it could appear to be a present day menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My parents had my first cup and spoon .I kept that.My first razor,my first scarf.I hope my grandkids will keep them too.

In the era of disposal fashion and goods I'm not sure the new generation will attach such sentimentality to these types of objects.

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

In the era of disposal fashion and goods I'm not sure the new generation will attach such sentimentality to these types of objects.

Also, their houses are likely a bit smaller than ours. If they have houses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Huh, my parents had bronzed my baby shoes.  I wanted to toss them at one point but Mrs Ldubs wouldn't let me.  I'm kind of glad now that they are still around.  

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Huh, my parents had bronzed my baby shoes.  I wanted to toss them at one point but Mrs Ldubs wouldn't let me.  I'm kind of glad now that they are still around.  

Mine are around my Dad's house.  I don't think I will keep them when he is gone.

But at the time, that was a BIG deal, and everyone seemed to do it.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Mine are around my Dad's house.  I don't think I will keep them when he is gone.

But at the time, that was a BIG deal, and everyone seemed to do it.

This has been an enlightening convo for me.  I have Mother's cedar chest and over the years I've put newsworthy things in there. Newpapers or magazines of something 'important.' I think I'm going to sit down and take a look at all that 'stuff' and then toss it.

I have my Grammy's cedar chest and my sister has our Mom's.  Mine is at the foot of our bed with linens in it and each time I change the sheets it reminds me of my Grandparents with the smell 🙂 Another cool thing is the chest was made in a town less than 10 miles from where I live (but not where my Grandparents were from).

I have several sentimental items that I've kept but try to find use for - even if it's just once a year like the turkey platter - but I realize my children won't have the same attachment since they never knew the people I have memory of.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Newpapers or magazines of something 'important.' I think I'm going to sit down and take a look at all that 'stuff' and then toss it.

I need to do a lot of that.

But every time I do, I come up with reasons to keep things. 😄

I have to just toss them.  If I haven't looked at them for years, I DO NOT NEED THEM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I need to do a lot of that.

But every time I do, I come up with reasons to keep things. 😄

I have to just toss them.  If I haven't looked at them for years, I DO NOT NEED THEM.

I also have 2 crates of sports collectibles.I do not want to get rid of them.I keep on hoping that some organization,church,etc.will have a collectibles show where I can rent a table and sell everything even at a loss.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Two philosophies I've seen recently about "stuff" are the KonMari method by Marie Kondo where you ask if something "sparks joy" and Swedish Death Cleaning where you get rid of everything you don't need so those left behind don't have to deal with it.

Haha, I've never heard of Swedish Death Cleaning until I read your post!  But is is true, at least to us, reducing clutter reduces stress.  

Most of the junk I keep is out in the garage.  You know, the odd piece of metal, a plumbing fitting, etc, etc.  I might need those some day!  When I was growing up we wouldn't dare toss a bent nail.  I guess it kind of stuck.  I really do need to do a Swedish Death Cleaning in the garage drawers.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Exactly - and it is the source of one of the six crucial B’s  —- the key elements of nutrition: Beef, Butter, Bacon, Beer, Bordeau and Burgundy. 

I have never eaten pork belly ,Bordeau and Burgundy.Should I be going to a new Nutritionist ?

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I also have 2 crates of sports collectibles.I do not want to get rid of them.I keep on hoping that some organization,church,etc.will have a collectibles show where I can rent a table and sell everything even at a loss.

Why not donate to a thrift store that supports a non-profit? They can sell the stuff and you'll feel good for making a difference. A few months ago we literally filled up the donation truck for our SPCA thrift store. And I keep a box going all the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Why not donate to a thrift store that supports a non-profit? They can sell the stuff and you'll feel good for making a difference. A few months ago we literally filled up the donation truck for our SPCA thrift store. And I keep a box going all the time.

Good suggestion,thank you.