Souvenirs

anniedave

On 11/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, G.M.T. said:

There is always the old Btitish tradition of teatowels with the name of the place visited, or as DW does the tea spoons with crest and name. We put upmagnetic strips and DW arrangesthem in chronological order.

I personally collect beer, but because of the weight and security aspects I had to disposed of them locally.🍻🙈

On 11/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, G.M.T. said:

There is always the old Btitish tradition of teatowels with the name of the place visited, or as DW does the tea spoons with crest and name. We put upmagnetic strips and DW arrangesthem in chronological order.

I personally collect beer, but because of the weight and security aspects I had to disposed of them locally.🍻🙈

Edited by anniedave
Expect we will enjoy a local tipple or 2! 😊

On 11/16/2019 at 9:47 AM, Aqua water said:

Take photos in each port especially of the water  bring an inexpensive under water camera. I write a small journal entry to go with the photos and make a short travel book when I return home.

I usually visit local grocery stores to look for products that are okay to bring back into your country.

Unique local hand made items.

Museums often have unique local art.

Edited by anniedave
Yes planning on making a scrapbook with pics of the holiday

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. We are not hoarders and I hate dusting ! So not planning on bringing back loads of stuff but  after 2 years of planning & saving this is probably going to be a once in a lifetime trip for us to celebrate my 50th and our 20th anniversary so we wont get to visit any of the places again and  I want a few momentos  to remind me of what I'm hoping will be amazing holiday. I will also make a scrapbook of the holiday with photos , tickets from excursions and maps etc - I still have the one I made after our honeymoon to Malta and enjoy looking back on it. Between us we have 5 kids & 10 grandkids so I expect we will need to save room in the cases  for a few gifts too! Only 2 months to go now so the excitement & countdown has begun ! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A lot of nutritionists recommend moderate amounts of red wine - high in anti-oxidants, and a pleasant relaxant.

I cannot drink alcohol because one of my 12 medical problems is Ulcerative Colitis.

I also suffer from Optical Migraines and alcohol,chocolate and certain cheeses are not something to eat/drink.

I drink a lot of water.

16 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Two philosophies I've seen recently about "stuff" are the KonMari method by Marie Kondo where you ask if something "sparks joy" and Swedish Death Cleaning where you get rid of everything you don't need so those left behind don't have to deal with it.

I watched a Finish documentary of a man who took everything he owned literally everything, his apartment was completely empty and put it all into storage. The idea was everyday he would pick one item to take home. He was suppose to do this for a year but about five months in he found he didn't want to take anything else back and eventually stopped going to the storage unit. At the end of the documentary he got rid of all the things he realised he never needed🤗

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot drink alcohol because one of my 12 medical problems is Ulcerative Colitis.

I also suffer from Optical Migraines and alcohol,chocolate and certain cheeses are not something to eat/drink.

I drink a lot of water.

People will hate me for this😳 but the truth is the the antioxidants in red wine is actually quite low compared to most foods (you will get more out of an orange) and the alcohol can stop your body from absorbing the antioxidants so in the end it is self defeating. In terms of health benefits you are not really missing out😉

• Thanks 1

Having cleaned out my parents' belonging after their deaths, I get rid of most everything non-essential or truly meaningful to me. I don't want whomever has to go through my things to have to say "why did she have all this stuff?"

I am getting to be a real minimalist and it is so mentally freeing.  It also saves money otherwise spent on impulse buys.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

Having cleaned out my parents' belonging after their deaths, I get rid of most everything non-essential or truly meaningful to me. I don't want whomever has to go through my things to have to say "why did she have all this stuff?"

I am getting to be a real minimalist and it is so mentally freeing.  It also saves money otherwise spent on impulse buys.

What is the difference ? Once you leave the planet you are not coming back.Perhaps you have something that a loved one will want.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I also have 2 crates of sports collectibles.I do not want to get rid of them.I keep on hoping that some organization,church,etc.will have a collectibles show where I can rent a table and sell everything even at a loss.

eBay

On 11/23/2019 at 1:27 AM, anniedave said:

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. We are not hoarders and I hate dusting ! So not planning on bringing back loads of stuff but  after 2 years of planning & saving this is probably going to be a once in a lifetime trip for us to celebrate my 50th and our 20th anniversary so we wont get to visit any of the places again and  I want a few momentos  to remind me of what I'm hoping will be amazing holiday. I will also make a scrapbook of the holiday with photos , tickets from excursions and maps etc - I still have the one I made after our honeymoon to Malta and enjoy looking back on it. Between us we have 5 kids & 10 grandkids so I expect we will need to save room in the cases  for a few gifts too! Only 2 months to go now so the excitement & countdown has begun ! 

My BIL used to make and share travel scrapbooks on CD after every one of our group trips.  They were really very nice.  A printed coffee table book of the trip would also be pretty cool.  I am sure there is plenty of scrapbooking software out there.   

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

My BIL used to make and share travel scrapbooks on CD after every one of our group trips.  They were really very nice.  A printed coffee table book of the trip would also be pretty cool.  I am sure there is plenty of scrapbooking software out there.   

But how many times did you look at them?

I have all sort of pictures from a number of trips.  I seldom look at them, if at all.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

But how many times did you look at them?

I have all sort of pictures from a number of trips.  I seldom look at them, if at all.

Once, maybe twice.  He doesn't do it anymore because now days travel pics get posted on social media sites.  

I recently ran across some pics from 2013 of a place I could not remember for the life of me.  Mrs Ldubs couldn't remember either.  She was able to look up a location from a sign in the background and determined it was Valencia!   

On 11/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, clo said:

We've told our 'kids' now in the 40s that we're not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave.  They can whatever they want.  Period.

I just tell my kids to get a giant dumpster and toss everything because we don't have anything worth anything.  I did promise to have it all gone by then though.  Try not to keep stuff. (but I do)

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

This is what I do, I rarely buy things to bring home.   When I get home everyone sends their pics to Shutterfly and I make a book.  It is usually their Christmas present then.  Mine sit in a basket in my Livingroom and it never fails that when we get together someone grabs a book and we all have a good laugh at what ever fun thing someone remembers.  Or of course the beautiful scenery.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 8:46 AM, Bookish Angel said:

I am getting there too.  Unfortunately my FIL isn't and it will take us years (yes years) to clean up his mess.  Good for you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sprint180 said:

I am getting there too.  Unfortunately my FIL isn't and it will take us years (yes years) to clean up his mess.  Good for you.

Aah, don't worry, you will get there!  Change often takes time. It started for me when I adopted a Buddhist lifestyle.  "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

On 11/20/2019 at 8:35 AM, ldubs said:

I agree that In-N-Out is pretty good.  Best chain type burger place to me is Nation's.  They also have fantastic pies and make really good breakfasts.   They have been around since 1952, and have several locations in Northern California.   

On 11/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In-N-Out is possibly the best I have ever been too plus they sell tee shirts.

Hey Lenny, I was in Nation's the other day and saw this sign on the wall.  Made me think of you.  LOL

Nations.thumb.jpg.c7e0ace85e08ce6cbd998473c657e109.jpg

Edited by ldubs

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Hey Lenny, I was in Nation's the other day and saw this sign on the wall.  Made me think of you.  LOL

Nations.thumb.jpg.c7e0ace85e08ce6cbd998473c657e109.jpg

I have two pictures of myself wearing Brooklyn Dodger tee shirts in 1947.I have tee shirts from every place I have ever been to that sells tee’s.I will be wearing some interesting ones on my cruise that begins Sunday.They are conversation pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like magnets. I have started buying small items that are particular to that port. In Roatan I found a small wooden hand carved sloth and I added a magnet to the back when I got home. This is the way I am wanting to do my magnets from here out. I am tired of finding made in China on the back of them. I also have a small turtle carved out of a piece of stone that I really like. 

My hubby has bought coffee at some of the stops. Magnets don't take up as much room :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Take photos in each port especially of the water  bring an inexpensive under water camera. I write a small journal entry to go with the photos and make a short travel book when I return home.
I usually visit local grocery stores to look for products that are okay to bring back into your country.
Unique local hand made items.
Museums often have unique local art.

I agree! My favorite souvenirs are photos. I’ve had several enlarged and framed. In addition, grocery store prices are much less expensive for food items than the typical souvenir and gift shops. I also try to find handmade jewelry or Christmas ornaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Souvenirs....... Everybody has a different take....

For Us   it is ....

1. model of the ship

2. cruise cards

3. tickets from places visited on shore   ( admission, train, or whatever )

4. Photos  lots of.

5.  Often something nice /arty   done by a local..( not too big )..

Want to we do with them

1. goes in lounge room

2 & 3   goes on the memory board a few notice boards in the hall covered with travel bits and pieces

( you stop and have a look, and see something you did 15 years ago then remember how good was that )

4   print hang on wall... or make coffee table book.

5  goes in the lounge room....

Enjoy whatever you buy... and as long as it bring back memories...

Cheers Don

25 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Enjoy whatever you buy... and as long as it bring back memories...

That's so interesting/funny to me. We've been on about eight cruises and don't have a single souvenir from a ship. All from ports. And all locally made pieces. And a bunch of them cost under $10. And some a whole lot more. LOL.