Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
maggieq

Ships that control the smoke in casino

Recommended Posts

Granted the encore sailing wasn’t at capacity during our sailing.  However, it was great not to have to choke on the smoke when walking through casino.  It appeared they had a room enclosed with glass doors for smokers - great idea.   Are there any other ncl ships that are the same set up?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Granted the encore sailing wasn’t at capacity during our sailing.  However, it was great not to have to choke on the smoke when walking through casino.  It appeared they had a room enclosed with glass doors for smokers - great idea.   Are there any other ncl ships that are the same set up?  Thanks!

The Joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Granted the encore sailing wasn’t at capacity during our sailing.  However, it was great not to have to choke on the smoke when walking through casino.  It appeared they had a room enclosed with glass doors for smokers - great idea.   Are there any other ncl ships that are the same set up?  Thanks!

The Bliss..Would be great if they would retro fit all the other "away" class ships with a seperate smoking casino. Seems like a win-win for smokers and non-smokers alike.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately, it will be about the bottom line. The Bliss has been sailing for a little over a year. The Joy a few months. The Encore a few days. If the casinos start bringing less revenue, “adjustments” will be made. 
 

Do you remember when the Escape has a non-smoking casino?  Not many people do, because it didn’t last very long when it impacted casino revenue. One day, cases of ash trays were loaded on the ship and that was the end of a non-smoking casino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BirdTravels said:

Ultimately, it will be about the bottom line. The Bliss has been sailing for a little over a year. The Joy a few months. The Encore a few days. If the casinos start bringing less revenue, “adjustments” will be made. 
 

Do you remember when the Escape has a non-smoking casino?  Not many people do, because it didn’t last very long when it impacted casino revenue. One day, cases of ash trays were loaded on the ship and that was the end of a non-smoking casino. 

Funny, on Escape now, and didnt notice smoke going through a busy casino. As an ex smoker I thought I would have noticed (still like the smell haha). Maybe there are just less smokersnthese days.

I often wonder how the cruise lines can have staff working in smoke locations, the staff must sign a disclaimer in this day and age...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Funny, on Escape now, and didnt notice smoke going through a busy casino. As an ex smoker I thought I would have noticed (still like the smell haha). Maybe there are just less smokersnthese days.

 

I'm surprised. It was awful on our Nov 3 Escape cruise and seeped to open areas outside the casino. We actually mentioned it in our post-cruise survey as it was probably the worst we ever experienced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BirdTravels is absolutely correct, the new ships will be better until.....

 

If smoke in the Casino bothers you there are other cruise lines which have non-smoking casinos in their entire fleet. They have made the corporate decision to attract non-smoking gamblers therefore, it is far more likely that they will continue to be non smoking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was not a huge fan of the bliss... but the walled of smoking section was awesome. Made walking through the open areas in the ship so much... nicer (less smelly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

BirdTravels is absolutely correct, the new ships will be better until.....

 

If smoke in the Casino bothers you there are other cruise lines which have non-smoking casinos in their entire fleet. They have made the corporate decision to attract non-smoking gamblers therefore, it is far more likely that they will continue to be non smoking.  

CELEBRITY!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Do you remember when the Escape has a non-smoking casino?  Not many people do, because it didn’t last very long when it impacted casino revenue. One day, cases of ash trays were loaded on the ship and that was the end of a non-smoking casino. 

To clarify: Escape's casino was non-smoking only for it's inaugural transatlantic. The following week for her first voyage from Miami smoking was allowed in the casino except for the non-smoking hallways and section in the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mets07 said:

I'm surprised. It was awful on our Nov 3 Escape cruise and seeped to open areas outside the casino. We actually mentioned it in our post-cruise survey as it was probably the worst we ever experienced. 

When i sailed on the Escape last year, the casino smoke was soo bad i was unable to enjoy the events they had in the skyline bar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

To clarify: Escape's casino was non-smoking only for it's inaugural transatlantic. The following week for her first voyage from Miami smoking was allowed in the casino except for the non-smoking hallways and section in the back.

Yes. After all of the preview cruises and the transatlantic repositioning, we were on the inaugural Miami as they wheeled cases of ash trays into the casino. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, BirdTravels said:

Ultimately, it will be about the bottom line. The Bliss has been sailing for a little over a year. The Joy a few months. The Encore a few days. If the casinos start bringing less revenue, “adjustments” will be made. 
 

Do you remember when the Escape has a non-smoking casino?  Not many people do, because it didn’t last very long when it impacted casino revenue. One day, cases of ash trays were loaded on the ship and that was the end of a non-smoking casino. 

Point of order the Joy has been sailing since 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, calizona said:

Point of order the Joy has been sailing since 2017. 

But the multiple casinos were smoke filled when in China. It was only during the dry dock earlier this year when the casino became non-smoking and the tiny smoking casino room was carved out across the hall. So, in the context of the post you quoted, the impacts to revenue have only been a few months since she started sailing in the United States. 
 

In fact, the only cigarette smoking space on the Joy (when not actively gambling) is a small outdoor (Uncovered) area in Spice H20. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...