Movies in viking rooms

Michael50

1 hour ago, Michael50 said:

I know, i know, but after a long day of travel, If I need to unwind , are there movies in my room? If so, what types of selections? 

Thanks, just curious

Yes. Current movies, older movies and tv series by various categories, port talks, etc all on a 43” hdtv. You can pause, rewind, and fast forward. Occasionally we “stay home” , order room service and watch the movie. Always find something we like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a cruise now with many, many...many...sea days - which we love.  We also love "movie nights" - you know, bathrobes, room service, wine, whatever....  Checked the movie listings on this cruise, and honest-to-God, I've never seen better or more creative or more interesting choices on any ship in my life.  Only my opinion, please remember.  But it takes a certain kind of confidence and chutzpah to program POSEIDON ADVENTURE on a cruise ship...and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES and Criterion Collection films and currently released movies, including the stupid ones, and a large part of "The World of Marvel" (if that's your thing)....  Put it this way:  The many - many - choices are varied, broad and deep.  If you don't find more appealing titles than you would ever be able to watch...I dunno...bring your own?...stay home?....  You ain't gonna be disappointed, trust me.  At least, in the available movie stock.

• Thanks 1

Agree with others on the great movie selections.  On our five week cruise - New Zealand, Australia & Indonesia, we watched all currently released movies, several cable shows and lots of travel related programming.  We did a lot of binge watching on sea days.  Viking's audiovisual system is state of the art and certainly better than what I have seen on Oceania or Crystal - both lines have updated their ships so maybe better than our experience in 2017 on Crystal & 2018 on Oceania Riviera.

Only problem we found was that the volume controls on the tv must be set so that there is an upper limit. The highest attainable volume, at least for the movie we watched, was really not sufficient to hear most of the dialogue. CC would have helped! I agree totally, though, about the selection - most impressive! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Only problem we found was that the volume controls on the tv must be set so that there is an upper limit. The highest attainable volume, at least for the movie we watched, was really not sufficient to hear most of the dialogue. CC would have helped! I agree totally, though, about the selection - most impressive! 

We have noticed the same.  Watch news at say 15 but to hear dialogue in a movie the volume is usually at the mid to upper 20 range.  But then, even at home it is much the same.  I don't get sound mixing in recent films.  To hear dialogue it must be turned up high, which blows your ears off when the inevitable gunshot, explosion, or even music starts.  I guess low dialogue is trendy in movie making.  Remember the slow turning fans in the background of almost every movie a few years back?  I guess that was to imply tension or darkness.  Who knows what goes on in the mind of movie makers.....😎

LOL....good points! Your mention of 'slowly turning fans' makes me think of the "Casablanca" genre. Then there are the more contemporary horror films where you have NO idea what's going on since indeed much of it appears to take place in the dark - a bunch of young people running around aimlessly either in the woods or inside some creepy house, etc. making totally illogical and ridiculously dangerous decisions that usually result in most of them being killed. Love how they always separate rather than staying together - makes for more individual occurrences of violence I suppose. Glad we're not the only ones who experienced the lack of volume issue on board. I even had my hearing aids turned all the way up!! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

14 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We have noticed the same.  Watch news at say 15 but to hear dialogue in a movie the volume is usually at the mid to upper 20 range.  But then, even at home it is much the same.  I don't get sound mixing in recent films.  To hear dialogue it must be turned up high, which blows your ears off when the inevitable gunshot, explosion, or even music starts.  I guess low dialogue is trendy in movie making.  Remember the slow turning fans in the background of almost every movie a few years back?  I guess that was to imply tension or darkness.  Who knows what goes on in the mind of movie makers.....😎

Movies are made for young people, who have good hearing.....

Not being flippant, it’s true.  Go to a movie theater and look at the average age of the movie goers.

As we age, we lose “bandwidth” in our hearing, more so than overall volume.  This prevents the brain from doing the signal processing required to discern voices in noise, or spatially separate sound sources, e.g. restaurants seem more noisy as you age because you can’t “focus” your hearing on someone at your table speaking to you.  Hearing is VERY complex.

A cheap tv has a similar effect on sound, making it harder to pick out voices or other specific sounds.  In the last couple of years we bought a couple of high end tvs, both the same model number but a model year apart.  The newer one’s sound is WAY better than the one year older one.  We almost never use the older one because we cannot make out voices, yet voices are crystal clear on the newer one.  We did not realize the poor audio quality of the older tv until we got the new one.  We have set both tvs to the same audio settings.  So, the quality of a tv’s sound system makes a big difference.  This is not easy to determine at the store.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Probably you just are remembering the dialog, since you were present at the filming....

True, but then I did teach Clark Gable a few tricks.  Also, no problems with hearing dialogue of Mark of Zorro, or Titanic (the Clifton Webb version) all on the big screen in the cabin.  Then the recent Tommy Lee Jones/Meryl Streep chick flick, turn up to hear dialogue turn down when music starts.  Go figure.  I think I shall go have a cocktail....🍸

• Like 1