Packing Tips for Celebrity

Profco

Looking forward to our second cruise on Celebrity.

For those for whom it is the first, I'm sharing a few packing tips, which are overlooked (and sometimes contradicted by well-meaning travel pundits, who consider bringing them a waste of valuable space), particularly if you are NOT booked in one of the premium categories on the Millennium:

1) DO pack  travel size toiletries! Unless you are in one of the top tiers such as Aqua class, which advertises upscale toiletries as a perk, or in Suite, bring your own shampoo, soap and toothpaste, whether from home or your Singapore hotel. Those provided by Celebrity are made in China by a no-name brand and are the worst quality I have ever encountered in my world travels. The soap appears and feels like it was manufactured from gravel and creates no lather whatever. In the 2 weeks we were on our cruise, the soap barely decreased in size even with  multiple uses every day. After experiencing the soap, we decided not to risk putting their shampoo anywhere near our eyes or skin. Fortunately we had enough shampoo and shower gel with us to last the cruise.  Make sure you do.

2) DO bring your own slippers, which again are not provided in the lower tier booking categories. Accustomed to Azamara, this took us by surprise. I also bring a  lightweight terry shift for after showers or swimming.

3) Shower caps are not provided. If you bring your own, keep it with your stuff or it might get thrown out.

4) Laundry on the ship is extremely expensive.  Chances are it will cost more to launder your underwear on board than you spent on it. (Again, we were surprised by this since on Azamara free washing machines and dryers are provided, and doing one's own laundry was a popular pastime.)  I recommend going through your old underwear, and bringing it along to "throw as you go," making room for souvenirs and other items to bring home. Alternatively, if that's not your thing or you don't have any old underwear, invest in some underwear that rolls and scrunches up very small. (I can fit 2 dozen of my lighweight travel undergarments into a one gallon baggie "packing cube.")

5) Unless you really like to dress up, don't waste space on bringing a suit or evening gown. Business casual is fine on the most formal of nights. I bring a few lightweight, rollable non- wrinkling dresses that can double as a coverup over a bathing suit or be dressed up with jewelry  for elegance. Not into dresses? Pants for women, including jeans, are fine in all venues.

Not looking to start any arguments with anyone who adores the cosmetics offered in Aqua class--just to provide practical pointers based upon personal experience to anyone interested.    

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the tips.  We, on the other hand, think that the toiletries are fine.  We do not bring a hair dryer.  We do not use slippers or a shower cap.  Totally agree on the dress clothing - we did dress up for our 25th vow renewal about the Millenium.  This time around, I am packing 3 dresses and a few dressy blouses.  My husband will probably bring a sports coat for Murano's.

I don't pack slippers as we can keep the cabin warm enough to not need anything other than a pair of socks.  I also don't pack a bathrobe as they provide one in all cabins.  I agree on the dressy clothes, keep it simple and follow the one shoe pair rule.  If you want to dress for dinner, bring outfits that match one pair of shoes (I have either black or brown) so I pick which ever I want for that cruise.  Shoes take up a LOT of luggage space.  I have one pair of walking shoes and one pair of dressy shoes.  Once in a while I'll slip a pair of flats in if I have extra room but that is it!.  Also agree on the toiletries, I have travel size bottles and fill up what I need from home if there is a product I can't live without.  You don't need nearly as many clothes as you think.

• Like 2

Regarding toiletries, I always bring my own soap, toothpaste (what cruise line provides toothpaste?) and deodorant.

The shampoo that is provided by X, NCL and Royal works for me.  What I don't care for is when you are expected to use the liquid  body wash instead of soap.  I don't care for that stuff.

We normally cruise in connection with a land trip in Europe, Asia, South America, Canada/Alaska or Australia.  Since touring always involves walking, I take a good pair of walking shoes (New Balance) as well as a pair of tennis shoes.  Also, I take a pair of loafers for evening chic nights and wearing on the flights.   If I only took one pair of athletic shoes, I would have to wear then several days in a row, so with two pairs, I can alternate.

Since we are usually out of country for 3-4 weeks, I take underwear for two weeks.  Underwear doesn't take up much space.  I do take 4 pairs of slacks and about 7-8 shirts.  I wear slacks about three days, unless it is Summer were we are going.  Shirts I generally wear two days.   We do laundry once or twice while traveling.  Since we are Elite, we get free laundry.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, 4774Papa said:

What I don't care for is when you are expected to use the liquid  body wash instead of soap.  I don't care for that stuff.

I have to agree with your distaste for the liquid Body Wash.   What we have been doing on the last couple cruises since it was introduced is to use the facial soap from the sink.   In suites at least they have a nice bar soap of a decent size and a bar will last about a week.

I'm not sure if it is just be but I don't find the liquid soap lathers well and I end up using huge amounts of it to do a basic clean.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to agree with your distaste for the liquid Body Wash.   What we have been doing on the last couple cruises since it was introduced is to use the facial soap from the sink.   In suites at least they have a nice bar soap of a decent size and a bar will last about a week.

I'm not sure if it is just be but I don't find the liquid soap lathers well and I end up using huge amounts of it to do a basic clean.

You need a shower pouf to get a good lather.

z-Pouf.png

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Profco said:

3) Shower caps are not provided. If you bring your own, keep it with your stuff or it might get thrown out.

Hmmm-  wondering if this was just an oversight as shower caps were available on every Celebrity cruise we have ever taken.

I hang mine on a hook on the back of the bathroom door and it never got thrown out (unless I threw it out myself). 

No need to use the soap from the sink in the shower.  Just request another bar of soap.