Getting Cash Advance from Reception?

On our last World Cruise, we were having such a wonderful time that we ran out of cash and our ATM card stopped working!  Reception was gracious, as always, and advanced us cash a couple of times.  Of course, it was paid back on our credit card when we disembarked.  

Would any of you know if this policy has changed recent years?  Can we rely on a "loan" from Reception for the 2020 World Cruise, just in case we need an advance?

Thank you!

Marcia

Unless something has changed, this policy isn't limited to the world cruise.  We have on many occasions taken advantage of this to draw money from reception.  The limits was $400, but I don't recall if that was per day (unlikely), segment (I think it was this) or cruise (again, unlikely since they range from days to months).

And, it isn't charged as a cash advance on your credit card (which would trigger interest), but just as a regular charge so no fee/interest if paid on the next billing cycle.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Unless something has changed, this policy isn't limited to the world cruise.  We have on many occasions taken advantage of this to draw money from reception.  The limits was $400, but I don't recall if that was per day (unlikely), segment (I think it was this) or cruise (again, unlikely since they range from days to months).

And, it isn't charged as a cash advance on your credit card (which would trigger interest), but just as a regular charge so no fee/interest if paid on the next billing cycle.

Thank you for responding.  That's exactly as I remember it and I am happy to know their policy hasn't changed.   

I will have an ATM card with me, but, the backup is always comforting!

Marcia

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Don't they charge a fee????for this service.

Nope, it is too good to be true, but it is.  Processed as just a charge to your card since it is treated as an on-board purchase.  Since I have no reason to think Regent is naive, this is just another "free" benefit you pay for with the cost of the cruise.

$400 per segment per person; both of you can get money.  I have always done this and just for the miles.  Another neat trick is that Regent will sometimes buy back foreign currency at same rate that they sell it.  I once got Aussie dollars in Sydney and sold excess back to Voyager making a nice profit.

Marc

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

$400 per segment per person; both of you can get money.  I have always done this and just for the miles.  Another neat trick is that Regent will sometimes buy back foreign currency at same rate that they sell it.  I once got Aussie dollars in Sydney and sold excess back to Voyager making a nice profit.

Marc

Thank you Marc and everyone else for responding.  Great feedback!

Marcia

Because donations to the Crew Welfare Fund are only accepted in cash, we have several times gotten the $400 near the end of the cruise, and applied part of the $400 as our donation to the fund. It shows up as an expense on your room bill. And no, there is no fee.

23 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

I'd do it for the miles myself.