EDGE SUNSET VERANDA REVIEW....11/15/19, ABC ISLANDS

hcat

Ha ... small world... hi neighbor!

we  had a place out at Kingsway in Lake Suzy for awhile..pre Charlie, .then  in North Port and now Venice.   One of our fav restaurants is in PG..the Perfect Caper..

I will be looking through my pics and notes for items I overlooked, one thing was the  no upcharge movies..maybe about 10 or 12.. I saw most of them this yr on SW Air but there are some choices. Lots of Sports...news etc.  Nothing too exciting and no music channels we could find other than the  background music on the Navigation Channel

Hcat - I am back again (briefly) now that we have the music question solved!  We have never done an SV cabin but are going to book one on the Apex sailing for 2021. I believe you were on deck 7, however I am looking at the available cabins up on decks 10 & 11. The thought being there might be a bit less vibration? I realize the balcony may be a wee bit smaller , but we are OK with that. The plan is to wait and book this sailing when we board Symphony on Saturday.  The sale is still running and we will get an extra $150 OBC for booking onboard. Your thoughts once again appreciated!

Paula

We are booked on Apex on deck 9, I think.( if we can  go)

Best source is Vt cruiser for details..maybe she will stop by here

Being under another cabin  rather than a restaurant, is  usually better in my opinion.....less chance of noise above.  We did not have any choice when we booked EDGE, so 7 it was! We were over EDEN.

Vibration  was not an issue for us,  but being aft,  it could be depending on conditions!

38 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Hcat - I am back again (briefly) now that we have the music question solved!  We have never done an SV cabin but are going to book one on the Apex sailing for 2021. I believe you were on deck 7, however I am looking at the available cabins up on decks 10 & 11. The thought being there might be a bit less vibration? I realize the balcony may be a wee bit smaller , but we are OK with that. The plan is to wait and book this sailing when we board Symphony on Saturday.  The sale is still running and we will get an extra $150 OBC for booking onboard. Your thoughts once again appreciated!

Paula

I haven't heard anything negative about the SV's on 10 & 11 and have one of the center ones on 11 booked for one of my cruises. 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi Neighbor!  I'm just down the road a bit in the Cape.

I remember that from the Halloween cruise on Infinity.   I think you were in process of moving there full time ..??? We have friends who live on a canal off Chiquita.. Met them cruising yrs ago.

Thinking of a possible  get together in Punta Gorda ..Are you booked on the TPA Connie cruise Jan 2021?

Edited by hcat

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Jeff and I are for sure going on the Edgies cruises in November on Apex.  What a fun group.

It would be great fun.  We are still iffy.. it was easier flying to FLL, cruising and then driving over to Venice this year...Better than driving both ways.

We have a new grandchild coming , so most plans in flux now..Also waiting to hear what's new or not new on APEX!  Hope it will be even better than EDGE, if that is possible!

14 hours ago, hcat said:

I remember that from the Halloween cruise on Infinity.   I think you were in process of moving there full time ..??? We have friends who live on a canal off Chiquita.. Met them cruising yrs ago.

Thinking of a possible  get together in Punta Gorda ..Are you booked on the TPA Connie cruise Jan 2021?

Yes, I am in the Cape full time.  When I'm not off cruising.  😁  Punta Gorda get together sounds like a plan.  After the holidays.  I need to renew my passport, so will be landlocked for a bit.  Katie has my e-mail address.  No idea how to get in touch with Mafig.

No, no Connie bookings for next year.  I currently have 52 days booked on the Summit.  Will see if anything else interesting shows up.  I'm off on MSC Yacht Club on Saturday.  No single supplement!  For a suite.  Woo Hoo!

• Like 1

After the holidays works best for me too...we will head north thru 1st week in January.. I think Katie may be cruising on EDGE in Jan????

I remember that for the Infinity cruise(?) You were moving and had packed your license or passport  away..big rush to get a new one but you pulled it out,.

I will resume the EDGE ART TOUR review next week, wonmt have Vt Cruiser as a back up but will do my best!

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Lastdance said:

So good to know about Apex, as that is my SV on her too!  You are always way ahead of me, and I like it that way...

Hi, Apex  11274 ,  We have booked that same SV 11274 for January 2021 , Would you mind posting some pictures of your Balcony of 11274 and some Cabin pictures . Have been on about 8 cruises in the last 10 years and  always said would like to try a SunSet . They look so cool when in ports . Please post a Review on the Cabin and the Apex when you return. Thanks and Have fun!! 

4 hours ago, Fmitchy said:

Hi, Apex  11274 ,  We have booked that same SV 11274 for January 2021 , Would you mind posting some pictures of your Balcony of 11274 and some Cabin pictures . Have been on about 8 cruises in the last 10 years and  always said would like to try a SunSet . They look so cool when in ports . Please post a Review on the Cabin and the Apex when you return. Thanks and Have fun!! 

There should be one already posted with photos from Edge.  On its first TA(I was in the corner aft suite)another Cruise Critic member had that cabin, so I booked it for Apex.  I am not sure if she did it under the “sticky” or just a general review, but it should be the same as Apex.  The bed should be by the balcony.  It is in the sticky at the top...I think # 94...

Edited by Lastdance

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2019 at 2:08 PM, hcat said:

We are on the EDGE again!  Nice to be back on board!

Focus here will be on our SV staterooml

Last January we were in   AQ Class in an  Infinite Veranda which we enjoyed...dining in BLU....access to the Thermal suites. ( I'll post a link to that review later, if anyone is interested)

Trying something new this time around.  We have a middle Sunset Veranda, deck 7, dead on midships.  Cabin is really great.  It is much larger than the IV,  and has  a huge outside balcony.  We had a brand new sun lounger delivered for the balcony, and brought in one of the uncomfy EDGE seats for extra inside seating.  We have the bed by the balcony...but where the IV would be,  we have  nice added indoor space adjacent to the balcony doors.  Cabin has real drapes that  can be opened or closed and  the most Amazing view.  It is one of the nicest cabins we have ever  experienced

A few downsides  to the aft location are:  you can feel ship movement quite a bit,  can feel and hear engine vibration but not terrible, and  there is somtimes noise from the adjacent balconies ( not as sound proof as the Infinite Veranda ) There is a looong  distance to the elevators,  but  we are taking  the long walks  as a positive, getting our daily walking in...

Will try to measure the balc as requested by Vt cruiser and will try to post some photos...not my strong skill!

Hi HCat.....I searched for info on Edge cabin 7312 and up came your review from 2019!  Very happy I found it and the excellent review you provided on the cabin and the ship as well.  You mentioned the Normadie as being a lovely dining area....we have it booked for a 'special' anniversary. I had concerns re noise from Eden and also overlooking the big blue expanse of roof interfering with views of the wake.  We have that cabin booked for next June Med back to back.  The first leg is in #11274 which someone else on here posted they were in...what a coincidence...will perhaps search for their posting.  We, like most here, haven't cruised since Dec 2019 so reallllly looking forward to next June.  Sorry some of the cruises you mentioned for 2020 didn't go. 

Nice to see the Review is  still useful.

This is a nice dining room.. loved the decor, menu and service.  It is one of the 4 mdrs.  Not to be Confused with the orig  Normandie  restaurant on X.

Other possible places for a special night are EDEN...now gets good reviews,  and Fine Cut.. never ate there..messed up our red but good 

We had great views ftom the oversized balc.. A quiet location, well serviced.  Some noise room EDEN but not a  "stopper"

Enjoy!

Next up for us is Reflection..Jan 2021.

I will post a review if technology permits!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Nice to see the Review is  still useful.

This is a nice dining room.. loved the decor, menu and service.  It is one of the 4 mdrs.  Not to be Confused with the orig  Normandie  restaurant on X.

Other possible places for a special night are EDEN...now gets good reviews,  and Fine Cut.. never ate there..messed up our red but good 

We had great views ftom the oversized balc.. A quiet location, well serviced.  Some noise room EDEN but not a  "stopper"

Enjoy!

Next up for us is Reflection..Jan 2021.

I will post a review if technology permits!

Originally booked Fine Cut, but changed to Normandie...ambience seemed better in photos.  Sailed Reflection 5 times (other S ships about the same)...liked her and Silhouette best although there's not a bad ship in the class.  First time on Edge so looking forward to a new experience.  Will definitely try to enjoy more of the ship than our usual haunts.

10 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Originally booked Fine Cut, but changed to Normandie...ambience seemed better in photos.  Sailed Reflection 5 times (other S ships about the same)...liked her and Silhouette best although there's not a bad ship in the class.  First time on Edge so looking forward to a new experience.  Will definitely try to enjoy more of the ship than our usual haunts.

Fine Cut did not have an impressive ambiance, was overbooked and sound came from the Martini Bar area,.  We were not upset they  messed up our res and never tried again,  for Normandie try to get a nice corner area..almost like a pvt dining rm..best I can recall.  Enjoy your special Celebration!

Our favs are Equinox, Silhouette and EDGE...but Reflection was the only choice for a lift and shift from Constellation,  I think that was a good deal..suite class..nicer ship, similar itin but from Port Ev instead of Tampa.

Have only been on Reflection once... It was kind of a party ship back then with the loud Miami DJs, loud pre recorded music at the pool , and the big round aft bar.. We are hoping it will be more a  traditional X  experience now. We are a bit gun shy due to Covid concerns but are going ahead...We have alot of OBC so may book pvt journeys for a few excursions to avoid tour busses.,

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

for Normandie try to get a nice corner area..almost like a pvt dining rm..best I can recall

Thanks for the advice...will try to put in a request with the maitre d' .  Enjoy your upcoming cruise!!  Reflection reflection...lol....I do seem to remember the loud DJ 'music' around the Martini Bar...especially that they took out the seating around the rail for the equipment.  Didn't put me off the ship though.