Insecticide - any you recommend?

clo

We don't live where we have any need for such products but will be getting something as dengue fever is in certain parts of our S. America itinerary. Is there any that you particularly recommend?  I found this link which gives some info.  I found it especially interesting that you're supposed to apply it after sunscreen. TIA.

https://www.iamat.org/country/indonesia/risk/dengue#

Not an expert but would say something with deet.  

We bought some of those bracelet/anklet thingies for a trip.  I questioned that they were working until I removed one from an ankle and got skeetered.   Can't remember the brand.  

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not an expert but would say something with deet.  

My thought exactly. 

Wear long-sleeved shirts (good luck in finding a garment that's cool s well as long-sleeved :classic_rolleyes:).

Closed shoes of course, and tuck socks into trousers.

JB :classic_smile:

24 minutes ago, clo said:

We don't live where we have any need for such products but will be getting something as dengue fever is in certain parts of our S. America itinerary. Is there any that you particularly recommend?  I found this link which gives some info.  I found it especially interesting that you're supposed to apply it after sunscreen. TIA.

https://www.iamat.org/country/indonesia/risk/dengue#

We use all natural products,nothing with Deet.We used them when we were in South America too.

I think you mean insect repellant, not insecticide. I don't want to fool around when trying to avoid mosquito borne illnesses. I pack a can of good old Deep Woods Off. It comes in wipes as well.

This site may be informative:. https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think you mean insect repellant, not insecticide. I don't want to fool around when trying to avoid mosquito borne illnesses. I pack a can of good old Deep Woods Off. It comes in wipes as well.

This site may be informative:. https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents

That word didn't sound right to me 🙂  Thanks.  I like the idea of wipes.

I got some Repel spray in a tube about the size of a Sharpie marker at REI, for the legendary Alaska mosquitoes. Turned out never saw a single one! That was an August cruise, but we did go inland at Anchorage -- just got lucky I guess. But we do have some Repel left over for our upcoming land-based trip to South America and probably enough for our South Pacific cruise. (I had bought several of the spray tubes for extended family in Alaska.)

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I got some Repel spray in a tube about the size of a Sharpie marker at REI, for the legendary Alaska mosquitoes. Turned out never saw a single one! That was an August cruise, but we did go inland at Anchorage -- just got lucky I guess. But we do have some Repel left over for our upcoming land-based trip to South America and probably enough for our South Pacific cruise. (I had bought several of the spray tubes for extended family in Alaska.)

When we were in Africa ten years ago we saw one tsetse fly and it was dead.  And when we had our apt in Rio we saw a fly rarely to the point that we would call it "The Fly of Rio."

Use these products all the time (we hike in a swamp) DEET is the best and only thing proven to work. Look on the cans at the % of DEET some are as low as 6% (for kids) and some go up to almost 50% .The % is what matters the rest is just for smell. They do sell travel sizes.

Yikes, now I need to look and confirm that my Repel is the real thing (deet). 

Note that although the August Alaska trip was mosquito-less, our first Alaska trip (all the way to Denali and beyond) in June, more than made up for the last one. It wasn't that they were so big, but there were many and they were armor-plated -- you would slap one, and lift your hand, and it would fly away!

58 minutes ago, alwysonvctn said:

Repel Insect Repellent, Plant-Based, Lemon Eucalyptus. We took it this summer to Italy and it worked better than the Deet product.

Actually it is not "lemon eucalyptus" . It should be Oil Of Lemon Eucalyptus. And yes the wording matters as lemon eucalyptus oil is a completely different product that is ineffective against mosquitoes. I use Oil Of Lemon Eucalyptus and it is a very good product though I did have to reapply about every 4hrs and it does have a strong eucalyptus smell so if you don't like that scent your other option is DEET, the higher the percentage the less often you have to reapply or a product with Picardin is also effective against mosquitoes and other blood suckers. 

But for all the insect repellent nothing really beats the effectiveness of long sleeved loose clothing😉

As for insect repellent and sunscreen studies are limited and really there is not that much consensus on what is the right application. Also the studies only apply to DEET based insect repellent. No studies have been done using Picardin or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellents. Again long sleeved loose clothing is probably your best option🤔. Here is a good summary of the studies:

Sunscreen or Insect Repellent: Which Goes On First?

Edited by ilikeanswers

Picardin and DEET are both effective insect repellents. The differences are:

• Picardin doesn't have any significant smell to humans so it doesn't need to have a strong scent to cover it up - DEET does hence products with annoying scents.
  • Picardin doesn't feel greasy
  • Picardin doesn't harm plastic, DEET can damage plastics so you have to be careful to keep it away from them when you apply. 

Picardin can be harder to find in the US because DEET is more well known. REI carries Sawyer products that use Picardin. I forgot to pack insect repellent for our Alaska trip but fortunately we started off in Vancouver and it was easy to find Picardin there.

55 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

No studies have been done using Picardin

Studies have shown that Picaridin is effective, safe and has fewer unpleasant qualities than DEET. Picaridin is odorless, does not melt plastics, or feel oily on skin. Studies show that Picaridin is as effective as DEET when used at the same strength. Picaridin is available in brands such as Cutter and AVON.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:
Studies have shown that Picaridin is effective, safe and has fewer unpleasant qualities than DEET. Picaridin is odorless, does not melt plastics, or feel oily on skin. Studies show that Picaridin is as effective as DEET when used at the same strength. Picaridin is available in brands such as Cutter and AVON.

I was referring to specifically studies regarding its use in conjunction with sunscreen.

Look and talk to camping supply stores.

For skin, DEET works the best as an insect repellent.  There are some other products that work OK, but DEET is the gold standard..  But you want a product that is designed to be put on the skin.

You can also treat your clothes with a permethrin based insecticide.  You can buy a spray that you spray on your outer clothes (while NOT wearing them), then let them dry before you wear them.  Amazon should have this. I picked some up at either Cabela's or REI.

Permethrin based insecticides are based the natural insecticides in chrysanthemums.  

Watch out if you buy any products outside the US or EU.  There are many serious dangerous insecticides sold in stores.  And even under common brand names, such as Raid.  Raid in some countries is NOT something you want to use.

All that said, I have been to many dengue countries, and have had an issue.

Edited by SRF

3 hours ago, SRF said:

3 hours ago, SRF said:

For skin, DEET works the best as an insect repellent.  There are some other products that work OK, but DEET is the gold standard.. 

That is simply untrue. Studies show that Picardin & DEET are equally effective. 

I am actually allergic to DEET, so I use permethrin infused clothing. Something like this;

https://www.exofficio.com/womens-bugsaway-brisa-long-sleeve-shirt/2101-3152.html?dwvar_2101-3152_size=000007L&dwvar_2101-3152_color=3603&cgid=womens_tops#start=1

The DEET I do use is sprayed on my hat to keep insects away from my face.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom
Added a thought

8 hours ago, SRF said:

Look and talk to camping supply stores.

For skin, DEET works the best as an insect repellent.  There are some other products that work OK, but DEET is the gold standard..  But you want a product that is designed to be put on the skin.

You can also treat your clothes with a permethrin based insecticide.  You can buy a spray that you spray on your outer clothes (while NOT wearing them), then let them dry before you wear them.  Amazon should have this. I picked some up at either Cabela's or REI.

Treating clothes works great.  You can use a much stronger product.  I  used to live in the woods where one could get devoured by insects.  The only time I had problems was when I forgot to treat my clothes which you need to do after each washing.

I also applied DEET liberally.

23 hours ago, clo said:

Great article, thanks clo.

20 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Picardin doesn't harm plastic, DEET can damage plastics so you have to be careful to keep it away from them when you apply. 

Good warning about the plastic damage. I left a DEET thumbprint on a pair of binoculars and DEET wiped the serial number off my camera.

I had not heard of Picardin before, I see now that my wife uses it. I like Off products, 7% or 15%, it is not greasy and goes on dryer than some products.