Table size request

Fincherson

This is my first time considering traditional dining and I’m not sure how it works. If I request a table side of, say, six... does that mean my husband and I will get seated with two other random couples? This sounds fun to me but was curious if that’s how it worked and what people think of it if so. 

Thank you!

Yes. If you request a table size of six, you will be seated with four other people selected at random. It is likely they will be couples because the Maitre d' often puts singles together, but not necessarily so. It is possible you could be allocated a table for eight. We like meeting other people and always choose this option, but some people prefer a table for two.

I was at a table for six on my Alaskan cruises on the Island. I was solo. On one cruise, it was me, two sisters, and a father with his daughter and son-in-law. On the other cruise, it was me, two couples, and a single woman. 

And requests for table size are just requests. You could end up at a table for 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10. That's what has happened to us even though we always request a table for 8. 

We do traditional and usually ask for a table for 4. We've met some very nice people on our cruises at our dinner tables.

On time we were assigned to a table for 6 and one of our table mates was unskilled in basic table etiquette (to put it kindly). It was so bad, we requested a different table.

If you don't get a "good" assignment, ask to be moved to a different table or ATD.

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

We do traditional and usually ask for a table for 4. We've met some very nice people on our cruises at our dinner tables.

On time we were assigned to a table for 6 and one of our table mates was unskilled in basic table etiquette (to put it kindly). It was so bad, we requested a different table.

If you don't get a "good" assignment, ask to be moved to a different table or ATD.

We've had experiences with a table for 4 and never again. You'll be forced to have conversations with some people you have nothing in common with. 

I know you can ask to be moved but it sometimes makes for an uncomfortable situation to do so.

If you want to share larger tables always go for 6 or more & if you leave to go elsewhere no one will notice. 

We've also solved the problem by switching to AT dining and if we choose to eat with others we can select before hand who we will be eating with. 

Just off the crown. Seated with 3 other delightful  couples, it was a table for 10 but the first night, the other 2 people decided  they didnt want to join us. It was their loss.  All 4 couples were from Florida,   several  nights one couple was missing  because  of specialty  dining.  Our dining  staff was wonderful.  It was great fun getting to know people 

20 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

Just off the crown. Seated with 3 other delightful  couples, it was a table for 10 but the first night, the other 2 people decided  they didnt want to join us. It was their loss.  All 4 couples were from Florida,   several  nights one couple was missing  because  of specialty  dining.  Our dining  staff was wonderful.  It was great fun getting to know people 

That get old after a while. 

Unless we're traveling with friends (the best) - we always request a table for six.  As said, the odds are better of hitting it off with someone, rather than a table for four.  I have trouble hearing at larger tables,  

We have around 50 cruises under our belts, and have had very good luck with table mates.  The worst we've had were just OK, some were all the way to terrific.  We've met several couples that we've cruised with again and stay in contact with.  

Our cruises tend to run together in our memories, the ones that that are really stand out are the ones with the great friends we met at dinner..   

YMMV

• Like 3

we always request the biggest table available.  Once, we had requested a table of 8 and found out we were at a table for 2, and we asked to be switched!  The Maitre'd laughed about it because usually its in reverse.

We love sitting with people and hearing about their experiences.  Most of the people we met with were lovely.  We did have one couple that spoke pretty vehemently about politics (not something I care to discuss on vacation, and especially with table mates on a cruise ship), and eventually figured out that everyone else at the table was on the other side of the aisle.  They switched tables afterwards.  Oh well. 

• Like 2

We enjoy TD and have usually been seated at a table with 6 or 8.  Once we were at a table of 10.  All were excellent experiences.  It appeared that someone put some thought into putting passengers with similar demographics together because we have always enjoyed our table mates and have looked forward to seeing them at dinner each night and exchanging information about our adventures during the day.  On our post cruise stay in Copenhagen we met one of the couples from our table at a restaurant and had a fun dinner together.  Perhaps our luck will run out someday, but in the meanwhile we’ll continue to enjoy the company of others on our cruises.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

we always request the biggest table available.  Once, we had requested a table of 8 and found out we were at a table for 2, and we asked to be switched!  The Maitre'd laughed about it because usually its in reverse.

We love sitting with people and hearing about their experiences.  Most of the people we met with were lovely.  We did have one couple that spoke pretty vehemently about politics (not something I care to discuss on vacation, and especially with table mates on a cruise ship), and eventually figured out that everyone else at the table was on the other side of the aisle.  They switched tables afterwards.  Oh well. 

That might be a good way of driving people to another table if you don't want to move yourself. :classic_laugh:

Tables for 2 eliminate all those problems.

3 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There are three of us. We have requested a table of 4, because obviously there isn't a 3 option. I am wondering if we will have anyone joining us, which could be a bit awkward as we converse in Cantonese.

They definitely give you a table for 4 & leave the other seat vacant.

I've seen many cruses where 2 people request only a table for 4 as it gives much more room to eat and the other 2 seats are always left vacant. 

On 11/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, I Love Cruising 3 said:

That might be a good way of driving people to another table if you don't want to move yourself. :classic_laugh:

Tables for 2 eliminate all those problems.

While we prefer tables for two, they come with their own problems. Often one of us will be on bench seating and we will be seated fairly close to other couples. A table for four with two seats vacant is the best option for us. Not a problem on NCL cruises with Freestyle Dining.

Edited by billco

On 11/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

Unless we're traveling with friends (the best) - we always request a table for six.  As said, the odds are better of hitting it off with someone, rather than a table for four.  I have trouble hearing at larger tables,  

We have around 50 cruises under our belts, and have had very good luck with table mates.  The worst we've had were just OK, some were all the way to terrific.  We've met several couples that we've cruised with again and stay in contact with.  

Our cruises tend to run together in our memories, the ones that that are really stand out are the ones with the great friends we met at dinner..   

YMMV

I like tables of 6 too. Tables of 8 are to big to converse with others other than those sitting right next to you. So for me i always request a table for 6 and will wait for one to be available in ATD rather than be seated at a table for 8 or more.

8 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

I like tables of 6 too. Tables of 8 are to big to converse with others other than those sitting right next to you. So for me i always request a table for 6 and will wait for one to be available in ATD rather than be seated at a table for 8 or more.

Table size also can determine how long it takes to finish your meal.

The more people at a table, the longer it takes because the waitstaff usually brings the next course for all at the same time, so it is based on the speed of the slowest eater.

If you skip ordering an appetizer and order a main dish, you will usually not receive your main dish until the person who ordered two appetizers has finished both of them.

• Like 2

We have found anytime dinning works best over fixed dinning. This gives you many more choices. You are not  locked into one group, You can just show yup and dine. when you do they will ask you do you want a private table or share. Sharing allows you to meet new people and really never a wait. If you find a core group you like you can then dine together. If you have 6 you can request a table for six or do eight or ten and let the staff add more people to your table. 

Most breakfast & lunches we just share, dinner we met people and form a group and get a table. This has worked out very well for us. On port days we can eat lat as needed. If we have of want a fix time we can reserve with the dinning room captain.

• Like 1