West End from Christmas to New Years

markeb

My wife and I are doing a non-cruise related trip this December. We're spending 7 nights in London, arriving on December 27th and flying home on January 3rd. We're open on our plans, for the most part.

We do have Hamilton tickets for the matinee on the 28th (we've seen it in NYC but it's a show you almost have to see twice to follow it, and the London production has a stellar reputation). We're considering another repeat for "Come From Away", possibly my current favorite production, and again, the West End production has a great reputation. If we decide to take in a third show (possible), what would the West End Theatre crowd suggest? I'm certainly not opposed to something truly British, although I admit to mostly going to musicals these days. I could go the obvious route and look to get tickets to the new production of Les Mis at the Sondheim (the first West End show we saw, in 1995, on our first trip to London, was Les Mis at I believe the Palace).

There's a longstanding thread on the East Coast Departure board on "What Broadway Play", and there have been various threads here on the same basic topic for the West End, but I haven't seen anything for a while. Would love some suggestions from London theatre goers!

If you want a good laugh there's The Book of Mormon, 9 to 5 or The Play That Goes Wrong.

For good tunes, Les Mis as you suggest, and Phantom is still going. There's Tina if you are a Tina Turner fan.

James McAvoy in Cyrano de Bergerac looks a good bet for a non-musical treat.

I always research what's on with short run theatre at the Menier's Chocolate Factory, off West End and the National Theatre.  I'm never disappointed in the wide selection available.

In December, I attend Christmas concerts at the Barbican, Royal Albert Hall, St Martins in the Field Church, Cadogan Hall, and Royal Festival Hall.  December is a wonderful time to be in London for quality music.

Edited by MMDown Under