How to Cancel A Cruise

tlw440

We need help, we have a cruise coming up in two weeks that we may have to cancel for health reasons (mine). We do have insurance, do we call the insurance company or what is the procedure. Hopefully we can go but it doesn't look promising. 

Before contacting the insurance company to begin a claim, you have to cancel the cruise with the cruise line.  You will need proof of the date you canceled the trip, as well as a statement showing any money that is going to be refunded, such as the government fees and taxes.  After you cancel, then you can begin the claims process with the insurance company.  Just be prepared to have the doctor complete the form and if it is a pre-existing condition, expect some pushback unless you bought a 3rd party policy with a pre-existing condition waiver, or purchased a cancel for any reason policy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

if it is a pre-existing condition, expect some pushback unless you bought a 3rd party policy with a pre-existing condition waiver, or purchased a cancel for any reason policy.

for the pre-existing condition waiver, i noticed most insurances policy require you purchase the policy within x amount of days placing the deposit on the cruise/trip (usually 14 days) for any pre-existing to included 

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

for the pre-existing condition waiver, i noticed most insurances policy require you purchase the policy within x amount of days placing the deposit on the cruise/trip (usually 14 days) for any pre-existing to included 

That is absolutely correct.  We purchase the insurance the same day we make the deposit.  If we later change the cruise, we can move the insurance, at least with Allianz and Travel Safe.

I'm going to recommend that you go a different direction than Deb suggests.

If you went 3rd party thru tripinsurancestore or insuremytrip, I'd call them first and get their recommendations. Even if you went direct with a 3rd party company, I'd call them and get their guidance to ensure that the proper procedures are followed for a smooth cancellation.

Yes, you will eventually have to call the cruise line directly to officially cancel.

Sorry you might have to cancel.  

You can also go into your cruise manager and cancel online, where it shows your cost details.   Once you click cancel, a screen pops up stating any penalties.  You confirm you want to cancel and you’ll then receive a pdf letter from Carnival stating the details which you can then submit.  

I had to cancel with a big penalty.  Sent the letter to my cc, since the trip was purchased with that card and was able to get my entire penalty  refunded.  Unfortunately they have now discontinued that benefit of travel insurance. 🙁