Air/Medical evac

tinykygal

2 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Flatbush Flyer I appreciate the heads up! I have spoken to my healthcare provider. "Under your plan benefits for emergency services is covered at $100 copay then paid at 100% of eligible expenses." Then I asked an example. "okay so for example I have a heart attack and am transported to a mexican hospital and then from there need to be moved in network. All I'm out of pocket is $100?" Response - "Yes, that is correct!"

I think they may not have understood the question. I doubt that they will pay for your transportation from Mexico back to the US. They may be talking about just the medical expenses. It is there in the response you received: "eligible expenses."

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Flatbush Flyer I appreciate the heads up! I have spoken to my healthcare provider. "Under your plan benefits for emergency services is covered at $100 copay then paid at 100% of eligible expenses." Then I asked an example. "okay so for example I have a heart attack and am transported to a mexican hospital and then from there need to be moved in network. All I'm out of pocket is $100?" Response - "Yes, that is correct!"

Call them back and be much more specific: "moved in network" by air (and probably internationally) vs by ambulance across town to a network hospital?

And, equally important, once you have been stabilized and are ready to be transported to home (as determined by who? - foreign MD and/or insurer MD and/or you [in terms of where you want to be], who's paying for that (particularly if MD orders accompanying nursing care)???

Finally, whatever you are told, call back later or tomorrow and ask all the same questions, Better still, request that the responses be summarized in an email to you.

Truly, "the devil is in the detail."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Never suggested that adequate insurance/credit should be required by travel providers (though it already is in certain circumstances [e.g., done an African Safari lately?].

Rather, I am suggesting that it is shortsighted and irresponsible not to have adequate resources to reduce risk.

People are often shortsighted and irresponsible and a lot of people travel without the resources that you see as a requirement. As I said, if everyone waited until they had the resources available that you think they should have available it would significantly reduce the number of travelers, potentially to the point that the industry would be severely impacted. (No, I haven't done an African Safari, at any time, and it's low on my list of priorities for things to do, but yes, the type of travel will often dictate what one needs. The needs for someone on a three day cruise to Nassau are vastly different than those on said Safari.)

Edited by sparks1093

36 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Along with the other "just check this out" comments I'll also ask - did you ask if they will pay up front?  Or will you need to pay out at time of treatment/evacuation and then be reimbursed?

What are some of the plans that 'pay up front?'

My husband has been planning our first trip to Europe.

We don't want to live in fear and stop traveling outside US, but we had never given thought to foreign medical treatment.

Thank you for your input.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

With all of the insurance products out there it isn't that difficult to find a provider that will guarantee the payment to the medevac company so the passenger doesn't have to pay up front (and the same applies for medical). 

Do you mind sharing the names?  

I haven't seen Steve's response.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, tinykygal said:

Do you mind sharing the names?  

I haven't seen Steve's response.

Thank you.

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and input your travel details. Then you have to look for plans that provide the coverage you need. (insuremytrip has a very good comparison took that you can use to compare plans).

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  That is how I buy mine and do comparison.

unfortunately I have called 3 reputable companies and none offer anything other than reimbursements, even though their website stated otherwise.

Another problem is that I had to ask for an English speaking rep and there were none.  Bust.

11 minutes ago, tinykygal said:

Thank you!  That is how I buy mine and do comparison.

unfortunately I have called 3 reputable companies and none offer anything other than reimbursements, even though their website stated otherwise.

Another problem is that I had to ask for an English speaking rep and there were none.  Bust.

There may also be some confusion about the terms - "primary and secondary payers."

"Primary payer" refers to which insurer (your travel policy or regular insurance) you first go to for reimbursement rather than who pays the foreign medical provider upfront.  

Also, there are some major hospitals in cosmopolitan cities that may be "in network" for certain "blue cross" policies and willing to bill. But, I wouldn't take that chance.

ANSWER: Credit cards with 5 figure limits.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't think you would be shocked to hear how many people drop house insurance once they secure their mortgage or only purchase a few days of car insurance just to get plates.

Actually in every single state in the US it is mandatory to have at least a minimum amount of auto insurance, and the insurers report it to the State when coverage is dropped.  In some states this will land you in jail.

Likewise when you have a mortgage, if you are dropped the mortgage company is alerted and they will obtain insurance for you at high rates and add it to what you owe them.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am still employed full time with insurance through work. Am I in the minority that all of this stuff is covered by my health insurance?

You might want o double check that if you are traveling outside North America and not on business for your employer.

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

Actually in every single state in the US it is mandatory to have at least a minimum amount of auto insurance, and the insurers report it to the State when coverage is dropped.  In some states this will land you in jail.

Likewise when you have a mortgage, if you are dropped the mortgage company is alerted and they will obtain insurance for you at high rates and add it to what you owe them.  

Some insurers report.  In many states, there are tons of 30 day auto insurance places.  No police are out looking for drivers that an insurer may have reported.  You buy enough insurance to get title or tags or to show to the judge.  You get a fix it ticket.  You fix it, no ticket.  Some states like mine there are more consequences but people don't much care.  They are willing to take the risk especially driving a beater

For houses, I suspect the system isn't that efficient since there are too many fires that there is no insurance

Edited by Elaine5715

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

ANSWER: Credit cards with 5 figure limits.

I still think that's the best answer.  Rest assured, I can fight like hell after the fact but at the time we can buy our way out of a whole lot of situations.  And, no, we're not rich but we have LARGE credit limits on multiple cards.

22 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Need to talk to them again that the transport is covered.

And maybe ask, if I have a medical issue in Mexico, and admitted to a hospital, then have to be medically evacuated to a US hospital, would this transport be covered.

My work medical covers me for medicals expenses, but NOT medical evacuation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We experienced using travel medical insurance.  And as the double whammy, it was purchased through the cruise line.

My mother had an issue and had to be hospitalized and then needed to be med evaced back the US.

We contacted the insurance company and they got involved with both the hospital and the med evac company.  We did not have to pay anything upfront to either group.

No, you may not have the same experience, but it can happen.

• Like 3

It is important to be prepared and be informed - to understand what coverage you actually have.  There can also be a balance between anticipating all possible (but unlikely) scenarios & having enough resources to cover all scenarios (which many travelers wouldn't) or just traveling without any protection.

My children's school takes the junior class (around 15-30 students and chaperones) on a mission trip each year to Spanish speaking locations.  Each traveler has  insurance, but I suspect many families don't have $50K or more readily available.  I know a college student who spent the summer teaching in Cambodia and Lebanon.  While I suspect she had insurance I strongly doubt she had an extra $50K in credit either.

More resources can make a crisis less stressful, but we can't eliminate all risk unless we just stay home.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

It is important to be prepared and be informed - to understand what coverage you actually have.  There can also be a balance between anticipating all possible (but unlikely) scenarios & having enough resources to cover all scenarios (which many travelers wouldn't) or just traveling without any protection.

What you are saying makes some sense except for the reality that many active or wannabe cruisers do neither of your points. 

In an age of increasing desire for immediate gratification, all sorts of folks care only about "how little can I spend" and then overextend themselves financially including a denial of any reasonable consideration of exactly what entails "taking on more risk."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ducklite said:

Every state has financial responsibility laws for car owners.  Insurance is the most practical way to comply.  

57 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What you are saying makes some sense except for the reality that many active or wannabe cruisers do neither of your points. 

In an age of increasing desire for immediate gratification, all sorts of folks care only about "how little can I spend" and then overextend themselves financially including a denial of any reasonable consideration of exactly what entails "taking on more risk."

Yes, and there is also the fact that if people waited until everything was "just right" to travel they never would because everything is never "just right". The saving grace for them is that the odds are heavily on their side. (Yes, if anything does happen it would be catastrophic in many ways.) In any event what they choose to do doesn't directly impact us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, and there is also the fact that if people waited until everything was "just right" to travel they never would because everything is never "just right". The saving grace for them is that the odds are heavily on their side. (Yes, if anything does happen it would be catastrophic in many ways.) In any event what they choose to do doesn't directly impact us.

"People" is quite the overgeneralized inclusive term.

I'll offer a different view: It is that practice of making sure that everything is "just right" (or as close as possible to it) before pulling the trigger on something like a "5 figure/person" cruise that contributes in no small way to the ability of attentive-to-detail/informed-decision-making folks to afford it.

And we've already had the discussion about the potential of an absolutely negative effect on graduated income tax payers due to financial FUBARs by some who are immediate gratification/impulse buyers.

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"People" is quite the overgeneralized inclusive term.

I'll offer a different view: It is that practice of making sure that everything is "just right" (or as close as possible to it) before pulling the trigger on something like a "5 figure/person" cruise that contributes in no small way to the ability of attentive-to-detail/informed-decision-making folks to afford it.

And we've already had the discussion about the potential of an absolutely negative effect on graduated income tax payers due to financial FUBARs by some who are immediate gratification/impulse buyers.

You are thinking 5 figure per person cruise, I'm thinking 3 figure per person cruise (or 3 day cruise to Nassau versus African safari if you'd rather). And while there might be potential negative effect it's outside of our control.

• Like 1

If the US Government charges to repatriate citizens after a natural disaster, I don't know why they don't also charge to airlift a person off a cruise ship.  

Participants of the Repatriation Program must reimburse the federal government for the cost of the services provided. The Payment Support Center for ORR notifies the participant of the amount to be repaid and how to make payments.

18 minutes ago, ducklite said:

If the US Government charges to repatriate citizens after a natural disaster, I don't know why they don't also charge to airlift a person off a cruise ship.  

Participants of the Repatriation Program must reimburse the federal government for the cost of the services provided. The Payment Support Center for ORR notifies the participant of the amount to be repaid and how to make payments.

It's my understanding that they can't charge for search and rescue as the law exists now.