Oceana observations...

AndyMichelle

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

She is only a teenager at present, CMV have just bought the old Regal Princess from P&O Australia, and she was first launched in 1991.

I was only teasing Presto as  I know she is a big fan of Oceana😊

Long may she continue to float, although I won't be rushing back on her. 

Andy 

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

So pleased that other CC members came to her defence before me :classic_tongue:

She was out first 'proper cruise ship' so yip, you know me well, I have a soft spot for her. I will forgive you mentioning the words 'bean tins' as it is Christmas :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Oriana was only 24 yrs old  and P&O sold her and confident Oceana will be next sooner rather than later.

This is regretfully a matter of personal concern. I like Oceana, she is my favourite P&O ship. I have seen a cruise on her in April 2021 I quite fancy, and would in the past have made an early booking to ensure a good choice of cabin. However, I do not have confidence in P&O to honour their bookings and fear that they will "do an Adonia" and sell the ship, leaving me in the lurch and having to book an alternative cruise at short notice. So I am inclined to look for alternatives now and if I find one, book that instead. I suspect that I am not the only P&O regular thinking along these lines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Hi Andy,

Oceana started our cruising bug several years ago and we have been on her several times since so I guess we have a soft spot for her.

Just wondering, was that you first experience of Oceana if so it may be worth considering giving her another chance to impress sometime in the future.

Paul

• Like 2

I must admit that having cruised on all P&O current ships and since Oriana was sold Oceana is my least favourite P&O ship. Was never designed for cruises from Southampton across B of B and because of her American design for 7nt Caribbean cruises not very large cabins and wardrobe space. Would like to go on a cruise Feb/March from Southampton and even though the prices are very good will not book because it is Oceana. Sorry for those that love her but is just a personal view.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Hi Andy,

Oceana started our cruising bug several years ago and we have been on her several times since so I guess we have a soft spot for her.

Just wondering, was that you first experience of Oceana if so it may be worth considering giving her another chance to impress sometime in the future.

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Yes it was our first time on Oceana and you are right, we should give her another chance and if itinerary suited, then we probably would. 

She looks beautiful, but although we did have a good holiday, she quickly became our least favourite P&O ship and we just have Arcadia to go now. 

Not horrible, just not our favourite. 

Andy 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Denarius said:

This is regretfully a matter of personal concern. I like Oceana, she is my favourite P&O ship. I have seen a cruise on her in April 2021 I quite fancy, and would in the past have made an early booking to ensure a good choice of cabin. However, I do not have confidence in P&O to honour their bookings and fear that they will "do an Adonia" and sell the ship, leaving me in the lurch and having to book an alternative cruise at short notice. So I am inclined to look for alternatives now and if I find one, book that instead. I suspect that I am not the only P&O regular thinking along these lines.

That is worrisome as I recently booked an Oceana cruise for late May/early June along with my own air and pre-cruise accommodations arrangements.  If I have to change at the last minute, it will be costly

14 minutes ago, comcox said:

That is worrisome as I recently booked an Oceana cruise for late May/early June along with my own air and pre-cruise accommodations arrangements.  If I have to change at the last minute, it will be costly

I wouldn’t worry. This is just idle speculation based on nothing. I’m sure your cruise will go ahead without problems, and I hope you have a fantastic time.

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But Aurora is older than Oceana..............just saying.

Well, no Oceana is the older ship by 2 month. Both completed in early 2000 with the naming for Oceana being in February as Ocean Princess. Aurora was named in April. Both of course built by P&O.

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oooh... That will kick off mayhem when they announce Aurora is going... 

Hopefully after the recent refit we have her for a few more years yet. 

Andy 

No mayhem as Aurora is 2 month younger.

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But Aurora is older than Oceana..............just saying.

The difference being Aurora was built for the British market and designed to be sailing from Southampton whereas Oceana (Ocean Princess} was built for the American market and short 7 day cruises to Caribbean. I think Aurora is a more favourite ship than Oceana but that is only my opinion.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

The difference being Aurora was built for the British market and designed to be sailing from Southampton whereas Oceana (Ocean Princess} was built for the American market and short 7 day cruises to Caribbean. I think Aurora is a more favourite ship than Oceana but that is only my opinion.

But Oceana does have more balcony cabins than Aurora, I think, which is a definite plus in today's market. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daiB said:

Well, no Oceana is the older ship by 2 month. Both completed in early 2000 with the naming for Oceana being in February as Ocean Princess. Aurora was named in April. Both of course built by P&O.

I thought Oceana was a Princess ship and that's why she has a lovely atrium - rather than the bland P&O ones

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I thought Oceana was a Princess ship and that's why she has a lovely atrium - rather than the bland P&O ones

Princess Cruises were bought by P&O in the mid 1970’s and until the merger with Carnival it was wholly owned by P&O therefore all ships built before 2002 were built by P&O.

4 minutes ago, daiB said:

Princess Cruises were bought by P&O in the mid 1970’s and until the merger with Carnival it was wholly owned by P&O therefore all ships built before 2002 were built by P&O.

Ah, that is when P&O was the major cruise line / sister company and not Princess. How times have changed. Shame that Carnival have chosen to put more money in to Princess and not honoured the P&O name.

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ah, that is when P&O was the major cruise line / sister company and not Princess. How times have changed. Shame that Carnival have chosen to put more money in to Princess and not honoured the P&O name.

Carnival corps. In the merger with P&O have developed all of their cruise lines. Cunard, P&O, P&O Australia, Aida, Costa, Carnival, Holland America and Seabourne. Not sure P&O would now have 7/8 ship if they had gone alone. They would not have had the economies of scale.

We were on a cruise when the announcement was made public about their tie up with Carnival and at one of the parties the Captain said that P&O had to look for a partner else they wouldnt be able to compete in the future with new builds. Ofcourse RCCL were the favourites to join forces with P&O but were trumped at the last minute by Carnival and it has always been rumoured that Carnival only did it because they wanted to get their hands on Princess.