Bring on bottled water?

lsfla

I can understand soda (if you drink it) or milk substitutes (almond or soy) but not water. Also wonder how the option might be affected with the 2020 new single use plastics implementation. Meanwhile I'll use my yeti and it's not any harder than remembering my phone or medallion 

By the end of 2021, we have committed to reduce or eliminate these single-use items from all ships:

• Plastic trash can liners
  • Plastic water bottles

All single-use plastics will continue to be reviewed across our fleet with the goal of reducing or eliminating them in both guest and crew operations areas.

1 hour ago, jonesbk said:

I've never carried water or soda onto a Princess ship. The cases of soda get taped up fairly well and a luggage tag taped to the side, same with a case or 2 of water.

I've had 1 porter say no, then his buddy said yeah, its ok, its Princess and they allow it. All have safely made it to my cabin.

As to why one needs/desires to bring water/soda onboard, it is nice to have a cold beverage in your cabin, without paying bar + prices for them, and to have mixers for alcohol either prepurchased or from the first leg of a B2B(2B2Betc).

We get the soda package and the tumbler that comes with it, but I definitely won't carry around a tumbler, much less a refillable water bottle. I did it once (several years ago on Carnival), and I spent more time trying to remember where I left the refillable bottle/tumblr and finding it than I actually spent drinking from it......

Seems several replies in this thread state they carry it on or had to carry it on.....where and why?

In my experience, the above is ALL TRUE!

We have brought on cases of both water and soda and have never been denied checking them on and all have made it to the cabin. Remember to tape it up good! 

We have also checked multiple cases of wine numerous times and have never been questioned. I usually go to the purser's desk and pay the corkage just after sailing. When the cases are delivered, they will place them in the cabin where you want them.

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

I can understand soda (if you drink it) or milk substitutes (almond or soy) but not water.

Because the onboard price for bottled water can be 10 times or more what you can pay for it on shore at a supermarket or other store.

Even soda does not have a markup like that.

Not being from the US, where do you buy cases of water & soda? We have 3 days pre=cruise in the Rendondo Beach area, with a hire car. I know there is a Target & a Walmart quite near, do they sell them?

For a 28 day cruise it would be useful to have a case of Sprite for mum, and fizzy or soda water for me. 

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Because the onboard price for bottled water can be 10 times or more what you can pay for it on shore at a supermarket or other store.

Yeah but I just can't understand how saving basically the price of a cup of coffee (1/2 case b4 ship VS water pkg) is worth the expense of stopping off between the airport and ship then the hassle of getting it onboard when I could have avoided it all by using my own container on ports or getting the water pkg / ships water in a glass onboard

But to each their own. 

Edited by Ombud

On 11/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, Shmoo here said:

It is when you can find a full case (24 bottles) for $2.50 at home.

I'm very happy to pay an extra $4.50 for the convenience of having it delivered to our stateroom.  It's a bargain for us!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I'm very happy to pay an extra $4.50 for the convenience of having it delivered to our stateroom.  It's a bargain for us!

You aren't getting 24 either, but this is a case of to each his own.

I don't mind having the porters take mine to my room in a bag, don't really see it as an inconvenience for us.

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You aren't getting 24 either, but this is a case of to each his own.

I don't mind having the porters take mine to my room in a bag, don't really see it as an inconvenience for us.

we did that before when we first started cruising and "we" felt like "we" needed to buy something for everyone at every port to take back ... used the "extra" bag to put the extra "stuff" in to carry off ship

quote the raven ... Nevermore ..

20 hours ago, caribill said:

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yeah but I just can't understand how saving basically the price of a cup of coffee (1/2 case b4 ship VS water pkg) is worth the expense of stopping off between the airport and ship then the hassle of getting it onboard when I could have avoided it all by using my own container on ports or getting the water pkg / ships water in a glass onboard

But to each their own. 

Note that I was comparing it to the onboard price. I agree that if you pre-order, it can be worth the cost.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, Shmoo here said:

It is when you can find a full case (24 bottles) for $2.50 at home.

So everything is more expensive in CA. 😀

I pay $2.99 for (40 half liter bottle) here in FL...